Player Discussion Lias Andersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Lias needs to keep showing he can drive play in lower minutes before earning his promotion. Last night was a start in the right direction, and it's a shame that Kreids wasn't able to bury that breakaway because Lias showed great patience to kill the PK and find Kreids coming out of the box. Lias needs to be able to find space to get his shot off more frequently too. It's 15 games into his professional NHL career, so it's not like he doesn't have time to figure it out.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Its been mentioned before that he has to adjust to the smaller rinks, right? I mean, he had ALL of last year.....right? I think my somewhat negativity towards the (imo) emergence of Lias to potential top6.....its just that what I see in Chytil is that, he could play on a small or large surface as he has the ability to make plays all by his lonesome. Lias just isnt that kind of guy. Would it be inexcusable to compare him to Stepan? (However you want to look at it) Stepan didn't really have any "special hockey talents nor attributes, but turned out to be a very good 2 way, forced to be a 1C.......2C.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Quinn is doing a wonderful job with our kids, not one of them looks worse than they did at the start of the year, they have all improved. Lias has played well at every level in his career I dont doubt the NHL will be any different, he needs time hes just a kid.

Reactions: egelband

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
I mean he had an opportunity on the third line getting 12-15 min for a few games and didn't show much (not that he was awful though). He doesn't deserve 3rd line minutes yet and is playing where he belongs.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Andersson now is where chytil was at the start of the year. He's following chytil's path: time in the ahl to get comfortable and put up near ppg, time on 4th line to acclimate/see the NHL game and speed, then move up then lineup when the opportunity arises.

This is player development as opposed to throwing a player in and watching him sink or swim.

Too many people are hung up on the justification the organization made to send him down at the start of the year. If they thought it was best for him to start the year in the NHL than they would've made room for him. They didn't think he was ready. There's nothing wrong with that. Remember, he wasn't dominating the ahl last year. Give him time and let him develop...

Thank you! Was about to make the same post: it totally makes sense to how Andersson is being utilized to this point and how similar it is to Chytil’s development.

Noteworthy, is that the same applies to Howden who’s currently higher in the organizational centers hierarchy - they didn’t want to promote Howden from 3C to 2C either because he’s still a young rookie. The Rangers CLEARLY have a thoughtout plan for their youngsters that is based on their progression and a stage in their development. They prefer to stay true to that plan.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Chytil seems happy, so we can't kill Quinn for trying similar methods with Andersson.

I thought he was really, really good last night.

And Beleskey just takes our 4th line to a different place. It's going from absolute trash to a very decent NHL player.
Also unlike when Chytil was there the 4th line is actually somewhat respectable considering Belesky and Forgarty are decent Nhlers unlike Mcleod and Letteri

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
As it has been since training camp, the question general manager Jeff Gorton and his staff will confront is whether it is more beneficial for the 20-year-old to get fewer minutes in the NHL or major minutes down below in Hartford.

“We’re assessing that all of the time, and not just with Lias, but all of our young guys,” Gorton told The Post as the Rangers practiced here on Sunday in advance of Monday’s match against the powerhouse Lightning. “But when we are healthy, we will have conversations about where we’re at, and what’s best for him and the team.

“I think overall he’s been effective for us and has helped us. I’m sure he’d like to figure more in the offense, but he’s progressing and he’s playing the right way. I think he’s been pretty good.”

“The games where I’ve gotten a lot of ice, I feel I’ve played well,” Andersson said. “I’ve been moving from wing to center and from line to line, so that has been an adjustment, but I feel that I’m learning and developing as a player.

“I’ve seen guys sit and be buried on the fourth line, but that’s not how I feel about my experience here. I want to keep improving my offensive game. I want to be an offensive player in this league on a top-two line.”

https://nypost.com/2018/12/10/young-forward-facing-uncertain-future-as-rangers-get-healthy/

It's hard for the young man to progress playing less than 10 minutes on the 4th line with basically AHL players.

He is a center. Chytil is a center. The Rangers are putting these players on the wing because they have too many centers. That Kevin Hayes guy.

They shouldn't abandon Chytil at center either. Dylan Larkin bounced from center to wing to center to wing. Larkin is now back at his natural spot. Center. The guy is a great center. Speed. He can score goals. Great player.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Quinn is doing a wonderful job with our kids, not one of them looks worse than they did at the start of the year, they have all improved. Lias has played well at every level in his career I dont doubt the NHL will be any different, he needs time hes just a kid.

Howden hasn't scored a goal in 11-12 games. His last goal was against Vancouver. He has 3 assists in that time.

Chytil scored goals in 5 straight games. He hasn't scored in 7 games. I think he was an assist in those 7 games.

Andersson can't get on the ice.

Howden was better early on. Chytil's ice time and spot in the line-up has been all over the map. 4th line center. 2nd line winger. 4th line center.

Is the Rangers top priority to develop players 0r to win hockey games?

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Its been mentioned before that he has to adjust to the smaller rinks, right? I mean, he had ALL of last year.....right? I think my somewhat negativity towards the (imo) emergence of Lias to potential top6.....its just that what I see in Chytil is that, he could play on a small or large surface as he has the ability to make plays all by his lonesome. Lias just isnt that kind of guy. Would it be inexcusable to compare him to Stepan? (However you want to look at it) Stepan didn't really have any "special hockey talents nor attributes, but turned out to be a very good 2 way, forced to be a 1C.......2C.

Stepan thinks the game very well, has very good vision, and I don’t know (and I’m not saying that with a dubious tone) if LA has that.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
https://nypost.com/2018/12/10/young-forward-facing-uncertain-future-as-rangers-get-healthy/

It's hard for the young man to progress playing less than 10 minutes on the 4th line with basically AHL players.

He is a center. Chytil is a center. The Rangers are putting these players on the wing because they have too many centers. That Kevin Hayes guy.

They shouldn't abandon Chytil at center either. Dylan Larkin bounced from center to wing to center to wing. Larkin is now back at his natural spot. Center. The guy is a great center. Speed. He can score goals. Great player.

Even if we were to deal the kids, we would still be stacked at center, with Chytil and LA respectively on our second and third lines — which would also relegate Howden to the fourth line. We have too much depth, which, admittedly, would be a great problem to have — if we didn’t lack scoring depth on the wings and a bona fide (potential?) top-two young defenseman.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Howden hasn't scored a goal in 11-12 games. His last goal was against Vancouver. He has 3 assists in that time.

Chytil scored goals in 5 straight games. He hasn't scored in 7 games. I think he was an assist in those 7 games.

Andersson can't get on the ice.

Howden was better early on. Chytil's ice time and spot in the line-up has been all over the map. 4th line center. 2nd line winger. 4th line center.

Is the Rangers top priority to develop players 0r to win hockey games?

Prospects performance goes up and down as they develop.

Way to ignore this and instead tie uneven stats to questioning organization on their commitment to develop prospects. :help:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yup, I remember your argument on this. But I read the statement as generic and not in the context of this season/NYR roster in 2018-2019.

Fair enough. And I’m glad one of my arguments is remembered by someone. :laugh:

In the context of the off-season, I would point out that a team at the cap’s average salary is around $4m. $2m for a player who is great on the 4th line role isn’t that unreasonable. It’s more of a thing that contenders should consider, but it’s not really out of line. The player I think of as the epitome of this type of player is Brian Boyle, who is making $2.55m. His previous contract was $2m, which on today’s cap is equivalent to $2.3m.

All that being said, I don’t know if I agree that Beleskey is on that level. I need more than 2 games to see that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I can understand the challenge of getting Andersson ice time at center, but I'm also okay with stealing a a little here and there from guys like Namestnikov and Spooner/Strome, to throw his way.

If you redistributed even 30 seconds from both, and a solid minute from other areas, and gave him looks on the wings, that would be a 20-25 percent increase in ice time for him.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Fair enough. And I’m glad one of my arguments is remembered by someone. :laugh:

In the context of the off-season, I would point out that a team at the cap’s average salary is around $4m. $2m for a player who is great on the 4th line role isn’t that unreasonable. It’s more of a thing that contenders should consider, but it’s not really out of line. The player I think of as the epitome of this type of player is Brian Boyle, who is making $2.55m. His previous contract was $2m, which on today’s cap is equivalent to $2.3m.

All that being said, I don’t know if I agree that Beleskey is on that level. I need more than 2 games to see that.

I will drop it after this since this is not Beleskey thread but I'm not looking at him as $1.9 player instead of his full $3.8m salary. If this wasn't a case then from Boston's perspective that carries the cost the rest of his salary Beleskey is a terrible 4th liner (or obviously anything).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->