Player Discussion Lias Andersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
He was The youngest guy in the AHL man.

Barely 18

He was supposed to score and be Bergeron in his own end in his first year in NA at barely 18? And people are saying he never plays center well he just spent a year doing it at the AHL he played center in the WJCs so that argument is silly

The issues people are pointing out for why he shouldn’t be a center. Faceoffs and defensive positioning are literally the two easiest things to fix and literally almost every kid needs to learn them when getting to pro hockey from juniors
Nylander played center in the AHL when he was 18/19 and dominated there as well, if not more so then Chytil. Since playing in the NHL he's been on the wing.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
LA is a centerman. period.

he may not be a dynamic scoring flashy dancer but hell be an effective, hard nosed, defensively responsible guy who will be on the ice in all situations and certainly the last 2 mins of any close game.

LA needs to continue to play the middle.

and continue to believe this kid is gonna be a big time money hockey player who's value has not yet been realized.

Reactions: haveandare

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
LA is a centerman. period.

he may not be a dynamic scoring flashy dancer but hell be an effective, hard nosed, defensively responsible guy who will be on the ice in all situations and certainly the last 2 mins of any close game.

LA needs to continue to play the middle.

and continue to believe this kid is gonna be a big time money hockey player who's value has not yet been realized.

the potential problem though is that anderson and howden might both best fit in that same role

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You gotta get the young talent to that point first.

Depending on how we proceed in the next 8-12 weeks, that will either be a little easier, or quite a bit more difficult.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He was The youngest guy in the AHL man.

Barely 18

He was supposed to score and be Bergeron in his own end in his first year in NA at barely 18? And people are saying he never plays center well he just spent a year doing it at the AHL he played center in the WJCs so that argument is silly

The issues people are pointing out for why he shouldn’t be a center. Faceoffs and defensive positioning are literally the two easiest things to fix and literally almost every kid needs to learn them when getting to pro hockey from juniors
Thank you for reciting facts that I know. I didn't say he can't play center; I said that being a good one in the AHL doesn't mean being a good one in the NHL is a given. That's my only point here and you can argue it all you want, but it's true.

JT Miller was an excellent AHL center
Yeah and IMO he was not a very good NHL center but much better on the wing, where he has resided (mostly) for some time now.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Do you view Chytil, Miller and Howden as ‘hope so’s’? I’m willing to take the chance that those are the type of returns Gorton gets back in a deal for Hayes.

agreed but i can identify a whole bushel of maybes and hope so's that didnt work out.

goes both ways

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
agreed but i can identify a whole bushel of maybes and hope so's that didnt work out.

goes both ways

If we're not willing to the roll the dice on one of three top center prospects becoming a second line center, than I don't know if there will ever be a scenario where we are comfortable with choosing the "maybe" option.

I'm not really sure if there's any way to offer a sense of certainty. We have three kids who each be classified as being on the high end of the D+1 to D+3 list of achievements. When it comes to young players, that's coming awfully close to the best you can hope for.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
If we're not willing to the roll the dice on one of three top center prospects becoming a second line center, than I don't know if there will ever be a scenario where we are comfortable with choosing the "maybe" option.

I'm not really sure if there's any way to offer a sense of certainty. We have three kids who each be classified as being on the high end of the D+1 to D+3 list of achievements. When it comes to young players, that's coming awfully close to the best you can hope for.

i am of the belief that chytl will prosper on the edge atleast short term, so i see howden and andersson both as guys who will play the middle long term and neither of them has me thinking they will be anything more than 93 or 13 are right now. best case scenario.

nothing wrong with that mind you.

and im probably the most skeptical of our scouting staff. seems they always think they can outsmart the market. sometimes they do but frequently they fail miserably.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
i am of the belief that chytl will prosper on the edge atleast short term, so i see howden and andersson both as guys who will play the middle long term and neither of them has me thinking they will be anything more than 93 or 13 are right now. best case scenario.

nothing wrong with that mind you.

And truthfully, I think if they're on-par with Hayes, that's great. That's still a win for us.

Hell, I'd say it's win if both guys are 90% percent of what Hayes is --- because we'd have two of them plus whatever we got for Hayes.

I'd say it's a win if Howden is a second line center and Andersson one of his wings. Chytil is either on the other flank, or Kravtsov. I think there are a number of potential winning scenarios there. At the very least they are scenarios that leave is in just as good of a position at center, with added strength and depth elsewhere.

Does that in turn lead to another trade? Does that trade land us a center or defenseman everyone talks about? Who knows. But I like the idea of having more chips to play poker with.

Reactions: NY Lito

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
JT Miller didn’t stick at center because he was an idiot.

Made a million bonehead plays. I haven’t seen that in Chytil at all.

He’s just a baby. He’s playing wing right now only because there’s not a spot at center. I just don’t see how anyone could want to pull a natural center out of the middle with that size speed skill and vision because he’s bad at faceoffs and needs to work on his positioning at barely 19.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
He's been playing center for a year. There's nothing natural about it
He certainly wasn’t on my radar before Gorton picking him but it was obvious looking into him then he was primarily used as a wing. I understand the mindset of he team to see that skill, size and good enough skating to hope that projects at center but it’s orerty obvious at this point he’s better suited at wing. At least for now that is.

Kind of in line with the whole Hayes situation too... for the points of blocking the young guys... these guys are so young. Even if we keep Hayes around for a few years and then move on all these guys are going to be 22 or younger so that’s plenty early to move them back over to center once Hayes is gone.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
With my undying love for Kravtsov, I've neglected Lias a bit in the last 6 months. It's painful that he moved so far away, but after seeing him 7 times during last season, I felt it was time to suck it up and go see him again.

I'm at the airport now, waiting to board a plane to Tampa. I'm staying with friends in Sarasota for a week, and we have tickets for Monday's game! I'm so excited! Anyone in Tampa who wants to meet up?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
With my undying love for Kravtsov, I've neglected Lias a bit in the last 6 months. It's painful that he moved so far away, but after seeing him 7 times during last season, I felt it was time to suck it up and go see him again.

I'm at the airport now, waiting to board a plane to Tampa. I'm staying with friends in Sarasota for a week, and we have tickets for Monday's game! I'm so excited! Anyone in Tampa who wants to meet up?
Take photos! :)

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
the potential problem though is that anderson and howden might both best fit in that same role

That's not a bad thing. That might end up meaning you have two middle six lines that can go up against top line competition, and free up your too line to eat softer minutes against weaker competition.

Reactions: darko

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He doesn't have any points but he certainly could. He has had a really nice game, IMO. When he get his chance higher in the lineup I think the points will start rolling in. He's a very mature, rounded player already.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
He doesn't have any points but he certainly could. He has had a really nice game, IMO. When he get his chance higher in the lineup I think the points will start rolling in. He's a very mature, rounded player already.
Now that the 4th line isnt a complete cesspool its not the worst spot for him to develop until they feel hes ready. I think hes also been playing a lot better recently

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not saying this in a derogatory way. Lias seems like a very skilled grinder. That doesn't mean he can't be a top 6 player, just that his game is not as flashy as someone like Chytil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->