Player Discussion Lias Andersson: Part III

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Schiefele never played a game in the AHL and Draisaitl played 6 games in the AHL.

Draft +3 Years:
Draisaitl - 77 pts in 82 games
Scheifele - 34 pts in 63 games
Lias - 1 pt in 17 games (NHL), 5 pts in 13 games (AHL)

You literally couldn't have picked a worse comparison. Also, its K'Andre...

Mikael Granlund
David Krejci
Mark Stone
Mike Hoffman
Brayden Schenn
Logan Couture
Johnny Gaudreau

Combined for 10 poins in D+3 seasons. Imagine if one of these was in our organization

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Mikael Granlund
David Krejci
Mark Stone
Mike Hoffman
Brayden Schenn
Logan Couture
Johnny Gaudreau

Combined for 10 poins in D+3 seasons. Imagine if one of these was in our organization

They combined for more than 10 points but I get the point your trying to make. The difference is none of these players had really struggled the way Lias has at that point in their careers

Reactions: Irishguy42

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
They combined for more than 10 points but I get the point your trying to make. The difference is none of these players had really struggled the way Lias has at that point in their careers

It also includes a bunch of guys who were not top picks and guys who destroyed lower levels in their D+3 year (Granlund/Krejci/Couture/Gaudreau).

Reactions: Irishguy42

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

None of them were NHL regulars. They weren't considered good enough to get the chance to fail in the NHL at that point in their career

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lias is the one who started dogging it two years ago when he got sent back down (my observation, I made it a number of times). He was the one who dogged it this year when he was sent down. He has himself to blame for that. There may have been additional circumstances that made it more difficult for him, but at the end of the day we're all responsible for our own choices. He made bad choices and has put his career in a bad spot. That's why I don't care about what players X, Y, and Z did at the same point. Lias now has a ton of baggage and many question marks that age-based player comparisons don't wash away.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
None of them were NHL regulars. They weren't considered good enough to get the chance to fail in the NHL at that point in their career

Pretty misleading. Even taking away what he turned out to be, ill still take Gaudreau’s 80 point d+3 college season over whatever the hell Lias did this year. Dont sit there and say he wasnt good enough to play in the NHL that year. Your also comparing a 6th overall pick to a bunch of mid-late round guys. Besides Schenn who had 18 pts in his d+3 and also like 1.5 ppg in the AHL as d+3

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Schiefele never played a game in the AHL and Draisaitl played 6 games in the AHL.

Draft +3 Years:
Draisaitl - 77 pts in 82 games
Scheifele - 34 pts in 63 games
Lias - 1 pt in 17 games (NHL), 5 pts in 13 games (AHL)

You literally couldn't have picked a worse comparison. Also, its K'Andre...

Point is guys take different time to develop and it requires different methods. Some make an immediate jump and impact, some need seasoning. Some need to grow up...you know like people that want to be spelling Nazis.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Lias is the one who started dogging it two years ago when he got sent back down (my observation, I made it a number of times). He was the one who dogged it this year when he was sent down. He has himself to blame for that. There may have been additional circumstances that made it more difficult for him, but at the end of the day we're all responsible for our own choices. He made bad choices and has put his career in a bad spot. That's why I don't care about what players X, Y, and Z did at the same point. Lias now has a ton of baggage and many question marks that age-based player comparisons don't wash away.

Kid’s got a sense of entitlement. IMO he will be a star and cult player in the SHL as he stands now. For him to be an effective 4th liner in the NHL he will need to put in work and effort. The question is, is he willing to do that?

My guess is that you would have to be pulling teeth to get him to that level. Because it seems like the Rangers tried, and that alone put him in a state of mental unrest.

The Rangers need to do a better psych evaluation on their prospects. IMO they Rangers are very progressive in some ways, but lacking in others when it comes giving guys who need guidance a chance.

I would say that they’re probably the most progressive in terms of giving those guys opportunities in what is a very conservative league. But just don’t blow your top 10 picks on said opportunities.

Soft, selfish, entitled, or enigmatic shouldn’t be words associated with your top picks. Period.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It seems some people forget about his age in this context. This is probably the first time in his life he had to deal with depression. To then try to do it in a foreign country, in New York of all places, where he didn't feel he could trust anyone in the organization to help him instead of stabbing him in the back the second they hear about it, so he tried to self medicate? Well, I can certainly see how that didn't help his anxiety.

The way the NHL franchises treated Lehner after he was open about his mental issues didn't exactly help the situation. It more or less confirmed that there is still a culture where if you show weakness or a reason to need help, you're thrown out. Owners don't like that kind of problematic cash cattle. Throw it out, buy a new cow. Lehner was third in Vezina voting, he still hasn't found a team that believes in him.

Who was it in Buffalo that just said "f*** it", quit his career in the middle of the season and went home, because of depression? Some other Swedish player. I can understand why. He had earned enough money and he knew he would've been branded and thrown out anyway if he admitted depression. So he just put himself on a plane and left the circus, to never return. Then after announcing his retirement on home soil, then he admitted he was suffering from depression. Buffalo wondered why he didn't say anything and asked for help. Well, take a guess, it's obvious why he didn't say anything nor asked for help.

The problem isn't that NHL players sometimes get mental issues, just like any other human being. The problem is all NHL players now know nothing has changed from the NHL standpoint. They pretended to applaud Lehner and lied about how "things have changed". NOPE. Actions speak louder than words. Players are still just money cattle to the NHL and the players know it. If you limp, you're taken to the vet for the last time.

Imagine if movie stars were treated the same way if they needed to go to rehab or something. Lol, there would be no movie stars left in the business.

Yes, Patrick Berglund basically quit NHL hockey due to mental health issues. I’ve heard he’s feeling better and considered a come back.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Point is guys take different time to develop and it requires different methods. Some make an immediate jump and impact, some need seasoning. Some need to grow up...you know like people that want to be spelling Nazis.

Well you can’t make a point and then just completely nullify your point by spewing garbage and comparing Scheifele and Draisaitl to Lias. Don’t get mad, just make a better argument next time.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Well you can’t make a point and then just completely nullify your point by spewing garbage and comparing Scheifele and Draisaitl to Lias. Don’t get mad, just make a better argument next time.

Here is a full list of forwards drafted between number 5 and 15 between 2012 and 2016 who were not full time NHL players through their D+3 season:

Alex Nylander
Logan Brown
Michael McLeod
*Luke Kunin (49 NHL games played)

Lawson Crouse
Denis Gurianov

Michael Dal Colle
Jake Virtanen
Jakub Vrana

N/A

Radek Faksa

Not exactly the most inspiring list.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I don't see him as a meaningful contributor to a playoff push if he does come back. It would be more about getting him on track to be a meaningful contributor down the road.

I'm far from optimistic about it, but him coming back, ready to commit, is the best chance we have at getting something positive out of the situation.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
This reads as a pure speculation article by Larry.
Everything anyone writes, about what will happen next, is pure speculation. Guys will be returning from Europe, and there will be 'taxi squad ' AHL is not resuming.
Why not Lias...
As noted by Brooks, and most others, returning players will vary in readiness to play their best.

Reactions: egelband

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I think this shutdown will have good unintended consequences for him. It's going to be a very hard reset for everyone in the league. Why not take this opportunity to maybe erase some bad feeling and restart "fresh"? If he wants it, that is.

Reactions: egelband

Salzig

I am laudable.
Feb 28, 2007
Bonn, Germany
If he's coming back this season, it's because he's committed to coming back and making things work. And I'd have no objections to that.

I agree with that. There's not much to loose here. Either he plays decent and works his way back to the team (while increasing his trade value in the meantime) or he doesn't make an impact, which would put him back to the status quo. As long as the performance of the team is not negatively affected by him, I have no problem with giving him another chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->