Recalled/Assigned: Lias Andersson - Part III (Loaned to SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I wonder how much of it is Hartford itself and how much is just the AHL. I think players coming from other pro leagues probably have some trouble adjusting to the AHL being such a much less popular and "lower tier" league than the NHL and probably compared to teams they were playing on overseas, even if the quality of play isn't a downgrade
Seriously. I mean Hartford isn't a super awesome place, but look at some of the other AHL towns--Bridgeport? WBS? Lehigh Velley? Binghamton (I love Binghamton but come on)? Utica? Those are just Eastern places. Bakersfield? Gag. I know there are a lot of critics of Hartford here due to the proximity and familiarity a lot of posters have to the city, but I've been to all those other places and Hartford is at least on par with them.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think we all read the various interviews Lias provided. Some of them sounded like clear-cut depression and others, it wasn't clear at all. He just sounded like a disaffected 20-something. And without anyone ever really being able to determine the veracity of the statement, his agent seemed eager to clarify to Darren Dreger that Andersson was not clinically depressed and was not suffering from anxiety; rather, he was just upset with the situation.

Unless Andersson sits down and gives an honest interview where he's not talking cryptically or holding back and spells out exactly what has gone on with him (we still don't even know exactly what was up with his feet, as an example of the "mystery" about him), we may never really know. And he has no obligation to open up to anyone, honestly, so we'll probably never have that clarity.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I think we all read the various interviews Lias provided. Some of them sounded like clear-cut depression and others, it wasn't clear at all. He just sounded like a disaffected 20-something. And without anyone ever really being able to determine the veracity of the statement, his agent seemed eager to clarify to Darren Dreger that Andersson was not clinically depressed and was not suffering from anxiety; rather, he was just upset with the situation.

Unless Andersson sits down and gives an honest interview where he's not talking cryptically or holding back and spells out exactly what has gone on with him (we still don't even know exactly what was up with his feet, as an example of the "mystery" about him), we may never really know. And he has no obligation to open up to anyone, honestly, so we'll probably never have that clarity.

Rangers should just cut ties and put him on termination waivers. doubt anyone would pick up a kid that does not appreciate hard work to reach the NHL.
what gives him the right to go back to Europe because he is "HOME SICK".

picture this

imagine Rangers draft a Canadian or American kid and imagine if that player did not make the Rangers out of camp, they are so upset that they quit on the Rangers and tell management that they want to play in Europe.

i know this might get hate for this but if you sign an NHL contract as a prospect or older prospect or any player, you should not be allowed to be loaned to Euorpe and only be allowed to play in the ECHL AHL OR NHL. I personally think players that leave or quit their team without circumstances like (family related issues or being sick or something that would force you to leave the team), then you should have to sit out for the whole year. I am sorry I am not a fan of players that quit or that think they are entitled to a spot on the Rangers without Hard Work.

Reactions: OrlandK

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I don’t like giving up on young talent despite the warning signs. I hope this can be salvaged.

Last edited:
Reactions: klingsor
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Rangers should just cut ties and put him on termination waivers. doubt anyone would pick up a kid that does not appreciate hard work to reach the NHL.
what gives him the right to go back to Europe because he is "HOME SICK".

picture this

imagine Rangers draft a Canadian or American kid and imagine if that player did not make the Rangers out of camp, they are so upset that they quit on the Rangers and tell management that they want to play in Europe.

i know this might get hate for this but if you sign an NHL contract as a prospect or older prospect or any player, you should not be allowed to be loaned to Euorpe and only be allowed to play in the ECHL AHL OR NHL. I personally think players that leave or quit their team without circumstances like (family related issues or being sick or something that would force you to leave the team), then you should have to sit out for the whole year. I am sorry I am not a fan of players that quit or that think they are entitled to a spot on the Rangers without Hard Work.
So cut loose a potential asset because of spite?

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
This guy is definitely going to set the record for the most talked about least important player in NYR history. Crazy.
ok sure.
Lias will have a full and productive pro hockey career.
The need of HFBoards posters for instant gratification, and the joy some find in dumping on ~20 year old kids, will have no impact
Most pro athletes have a nonlinear path to getting their career launched

Reactions: Doriva

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The Rangers are not giving up his rights.

They'll package him if they have to, and take 50 cents on the dollar if it comes to that. But they aren't going to give him away unless he is a psychopath who is facing serious jail time.
Agreed

Let me also say I wouldn't really look to trade him at this point because I honestly doubt any gm will give you more than a 4th rounder for him at this point. Better to have him build up some sort of value and trade him for mittelstadt or someone else's bust.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I still think we did him a disservice by not sticking him on the LW and just telling him to go to the front of the net no matter how long it takes him to get there. The one skill he does actually have is he’s very good around the net. Has real poise there.

playing him at center when he clearly couldn’t keep up was dumb.

I don’t think he can skate but worse I don’t think he’s got it between the ears or in his gut to work hard enough to be an nhler. Maybe if he grows up but it definitely won’t be here. Think he’s quite comfortable in Sweden.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and Leetch3

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
How about this. How about you stop picking on Lias and start picking on Howden who has sucked with his improvement. Pick on Chytil who continues to suck on draws and hasn't shown any improvement. Pick on TDA who still sucks defensively and don't give me that corsi crap which is useless just watch him play. Pick on Buchnevich who plays half his games with his head up his butt. Pick on Quinn who has no clue how to install a defensive system worth crap.

Reactions: Midikem

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
ok sure.
Lias will have a full and productive pro hockey career.
The need of HFBoards posters for instant gratification, and the joy some find in dumping on ~20 year old kids, will have no impact
Most pro athletes have a nonlinear path to getting their career launched

I said nothing about his "pro hockey career" - only that his time as a Ranger is likely done, he's had little to negative impact on the team, and for the amount of that he's barely worth 1000's of post discussing what was and what could've been.

And, for the record, I liked the pick at the time and still think he has a shot in the NHL. It's nothing personal, I just find it comical the amount of posts about a player that will mean next to nothing in the context of NYR history and likely will never play for this team again.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
How about this. How about you stop picking on Lias and start picking on Howden who has sucked with his improvement. Pick on Chytil who continues to suck on draws and hasn't shown any improvement. Pick on TDA who still sucks defensively and don't give me that corsi crap which is useless just watch him play. Pick on Buchnevich who plays half his games with his head up his butt. Pick on Quinn who has no clue how to install a defensive system worth crap.
I think its posts like this that make the Lias situation an endless topic. He was highly touted high draft pick so some of the fan base bought in on his potential. Then when he failed to play well, looked slow and uncertain and became un-coachable it was always someone else's fault. Wrong line-mates, coach was too hard on him, etc. Alternatively those of us who quickly were down on him loved being right so we piled on about how bad he is.

It's ridiculous to pick on Howden in the Howden vs. Lias side debate. Howden has played poorly too but has done whatever the coach asked and at least is big and can skate - two assets Lias doesn't possess - so there is some potential to develop. Chytil certainly has shown improvement. Buch's advanced stats are actually quite impressive unlike the others mentioned.

Lias's realistic ceiling is likely a AHL or SHL star. And he could make it to the NHL as a mediocre bottom 6 forward. Realistically with his skill set that is where he likely winds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->