Recalled/Assigned: Lias Andersson - Part III (Loaned to SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
There's a team in this league that makes the draftees that they are interested in take a full on personality test and psych eval.

I won't mention the player, but a number of teams passed on a kid because of some poor interviews and some off color references. But the team that took him, the one that gave the eval, found the kid to be a competitor. Arrogant? Yes. A bit of a *****e bag? Oh most definitely. Top line center on a winning team? Yes. Do his teammates like hanging out him off the ice? Not all of them, but guess what, they don't have to.

The point is, that there are other ways of testing and evaluating players, and I for one would like to see the Rangers utilize these forms of testing if they aren't already. You cannot have another gaff like this. There's too much on the line to whiff on a top pick again. Do your homework.
What’s sad is, they supposedly DID pick him because of #intangibles and yet we’re still here. IF something truly inappropriate happened maybe I’ll change my opinion but so far there’s ZERO proof of that.
That can change obviously.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
What’s sad is, they supposedly DID pick him because of #intangibles and yet we’re still here. IF something truly inappropriate happened maybe I’ll change my opinion but so far there’s ZERO proof of that.
That can change obviously.

Agreed. This really all depends on what Andersson's definition of "inappropriate" is. In just reading the tea leaves, I think the organization approached him with some hard truths about how he hasn't been top 6 center material and he needs to augment his game so he can be more successful in the bottom 6. If it even needs to be said, that doesn't meet the bar of "inappropriate."

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Agreed. This really all depends on what Andersson's definition of "inappropriate" is. In just reading the tea leaves, I think the organization approached him with some hard truths about how he hasn't been top 6 center material and he needs to augment his game so he can be more successful in the bottom 6. If it even needs to be said, that doesn't meet the bar of "inappropriate."
If that's ALL it is then to @NYR Viper 's point I want a person, handwritten letter of apology from Lias

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Maybe. What we know is he said he felt he earned a center spot behind Zib with his play in the preseason. Well, he did that. He just didn't keep it.

He's not the first prospect to have a good camp and not carry it over to the regular season (remember when Daniel Goneau had that killer camp?)

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i think his feeing were hurt and for the first time in his life he realized he wasnt a superstar.

he was a 7OA pick and he may well not play in the nhl as anything more than a bottom 6 mucker.

reality hurts but blaming others for your inability to handle reality shows a darker problem.

leaving the team and thinking the team is the problem is misguided. like some other organization will make him a 2C when this one wouldn't. and then blaming bullying and other stuff.

sad.

Reactions: Sayba

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
The one argument that I can see why people make it but I still disagree with is the linemates argument. It is true that he did not have quality material to work with on the 4th line. However, if he is as talented as he supposedly thinks he is, he should have stood out. If you put Chytil on the 4th line, he will stick out. If you put Buch on the 4th, he will stick out. When Lemieux was on the 4th, he was a very noticeable player. If you are purporting to be better than the 4th C and more deserving of ice, you need to show it. I had to intentionally look for him during games. If I didn't, he was invisible. Similar to Fogarty during this call up. When I saw him with the Wolfpack, he was very noticeable, but not so with the Rangers. McKegg, although has stone hands and doesn't generate offense, sticks out because of his speed and tenacity. So it is true that playing with low skill guys didn't help Lias, but his top 6 game is not NHL caliber, so he either needs to adapt his game to fit what will get him NHL ice time, or go to the AHL and get his top 6 game together so it is NHL worthy. At this point, guys who are clearly better than him (Kakko and Chytil) are 3rd liners on a below average NHL team. Why does he think he should be more than they are? Ultimately, I think he and the Rangers don't agree on they type of player he is.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
It’s pretty hypocritical that Ranger fans are bashing this kid but they don’t care that Fox told Carolina to get lost and he only wanted to play here. Not every player in the world wants to pay for the Rangers.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Not really.
Lias signed a contract. Fox didn't.
It's also incredibly hard to see how this situation helps anyone, including Lias. It seemingly goes beyond just not wanting to play for the Rangers into a cutting off your nose to spite your face situation, which is bound to engender bitterness.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Yeah I wonder about some of that. It's possible that the coaches went too far with what they said to him and basically tore him down while thinking maybe this is what he needed to figure out how to play at the NHL level and just wildly miscalculated the kind of coaching he needed and went overboard with it.
I mean if they were telling him "look you can't play with pace, your skating is bad, and you're not going to make the NHL if you don't get it together so get your shit together" and he heard that over and over then it might be enough to tear him down mentally over awhile

I dunno

Depending on the outcome of this, if there was actual significant type of bullying going on(and i'm not talking about normal ball busting), the player(s) responsible should be shipped out of the organization immediately. If the coaching staff turned a blind eye they should be let go as well.

This could be a huge black eye on the organization when Lias comes out with his story that we need to fix before we get a bad rep.

On the other hand I don't think the Rangers can overreact to one player saying stuff. It needs to be a legitimate investigation if there are real allegations of sorts, not just a "oh shit he said that let's burn everything down".

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I could see Lias with Georgiev in a deal.

Maybe. But I wouldn't expect all that much back for something like this, primarily because we're talking about the 2 players the Rangers almost absolutely have to trade at this point. Other GM's know this, too.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Not really.
Lias signed a contract. Fox didn't.

Ding Ding, we have a winner

Also: "I don't want to show anyone except for myself and my teammates and the staff around here," Andersson told NYRangers.com. "I just want to show those people that I'm a player they can count on, that I'm serious about this, and that I want to be here."

Don't think Fox said that about Carolina at any point.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I’m curious if everyone in this thread, if actual news comes out that something occurred more than once, will send a written apology to Lias

Who on this board wouldn’t eat crow if something actually happened? It takes two to tango, however, and Mr. Silent Treatment needs to speak the f*** up. What he’s doing is pathetic regardless of the outcome.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yeah I wonder about some of that. It's possible that the coaches went too far with what they said to him and basically tore him down while thinking maybe this is what he needed to figure out how to play at the NHL level and just wildly miscalculated the kind of coaching he needed and went overboard with it.
I mean if they were telling him "look you can't play with pace, your skating is bad, and you're not going to make the NHL if you don't get it together so get your **** together" and he heard that over and over then it might be enough to tear him down mentally over awhile

And, honestly, if that’s the case? He doesn’t have the ability to be a professional player in the first place and he probably should just retire.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
At first he clearly complained about Howden getting more time than him bc he said felt he earned a spot higher in the roster compare to others. He talks about how nothing happened in the AHL and the coaches there say everything seemed fine. Then it's a comment about how he felt he earned a spot behind Mika (you did, the 4th line role is one of those spots). Now it's him being forced to play through injuries. Now it's vague bullying and even whispers about some kind of mental illness maybe

He's a 20 year old not a 10 year old, this is all nonsense or he's actually got a mental illness. I'm hoping it's just all nonsense. Preferable to learning he has an illness he has to fight his whole life.

If there was no bullying and if he has no illness then not only is he an asshole but he's also guilty of trying to underhandedly ruin the reputations of a lot of people with vague insinuations all so that he doesn't look as bad as he does.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
My guess: The trainers have good intentions by encouraging players to play through pain, but it isn't always the best decision to do so both for the player and the team as well as the entertainment value for the fans. It is important for players to be able to play through it especially if really needed, but many times it is not really needed yet they are encouraged to do so anyway. That is why Lias might be reluctant to point the finger because he realizes they have good intentions. It is just hard spot if they are saying you seem ok you should be able to play through it, and he feels miserable playing with that injury and wants to have it healed or second opinioned.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
At first he clearly complained about Howden getting more time than him bc he said felt he earned a spot higher in the roster compare to others. He talks about how nothing happened in the AHL and the coaches there say everything seemed fine. Then it's a comment about how he felt he earned a spot behind Mika (you did, the 4th line role is one of those spots). Now it's him being forced to play through injuries. Now it's vague bullying and even whispers about some kind of mental illness maybe

He's a 20 year old not a 10 year old, this is all nonsense or he's actually got a mental illness. I'm hoping it's just all nonsense. Preferable to learning he has an illness he has to fight his whole life.

If there was no bullying and if he has no illness then not only is he an ******* but he's also guilty of trying to underhandedly ruin the reputations of a lot of people with vague insinuations all so that he doesn't look as bad as he does.

Just for the record, this isn’t the case. He is asked if he wants to return to the NHL for another team and answer that he still believes he has that ability, he won a center spot behind Ziba out of camp etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad