Recalled/Assigned: Lias Andersson - Part III (Loaned to SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
no doubt

Al Montoya, Dan Blackburn, Brendl, Lundmark, Malhotra, McIlrath all in the top 10.
Instead of looking across 30 years, why not look at what has happened under Gorton, since that is the most relevant? What happened when the Rangers drafted Lundmark has nothing to do with right now.

And Dan Blackburn? Really? You are going to use a prospect whose career was ended due to injury as a way to create a narrative?

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Lias led HV71 in both Points per game and Goals per game this season (albeit a smaller sample size).

He's still a good hockey player. Maybe he can get his s*** together one day.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Lias led HV71 in both Points per game and Goals per game this season (albeit a smaller sample size).
He's still a good hockey player. Maybe he can get his s*** together one day.

he's gonna be fine and have a strong pro career
no reason to rush to judgement on a kid still 21. even if common (fun) at places like this

yes, more often than ever, some guys in their early 20's establish themselves early, but every player's path is different.

Lias had an overly hectic 1st year pro;
his handling by Quinn may be Quinn's most notable failing so far*, and
this year, yes Lias seemingly got frustrated, but also, we now know, there were injury issues, and as noted, he finished strong

if he gets moved i will expect a strong return, maybe not a top 10,
but I'd be glad for him to return

*its all speculation, but IMHO, if Quin gave Lias almost as much 'rope' and opportunity as he's given Howden, he'd have shown the fans more clearly how he will contribute

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
he's gonna be fine and have a strong pro career
no reason to rush to judgement on a kid still 21. even if common (fun) at places like this

yes, more often than ever, some guys in their early 20's establish themselves early, but every player's path is different.

Lias had an overly hectic 1st year pro;
his handling by Quinn may be Quinn's most notable failing so far*, and
this year, yes Lias seemingly got frustrated, but also, we now know, there were injury issues, and as noted, he finished strong

if he gets moved i will expect a strong return, maybe not a top 10,
but I'd be glad for him to return

*its all speculation, but IMHO, if Quin gave Lias almost as much 'rope' and opportunity as he's given Howden, he'd have shown the fans more clearly how he will contribute

Or that (like Howden), he won't contribute in any meaningful manner. Which, while unfortunate, we would at least know. But we don't know right now.

And yeah, I'm of the same mind that he'll probably be able to put this rather tumultuous start to his NYR career past him and be a meaningful contributor to an NHL team at some point. And I hope it's the Rangers

Reactions: haveandare

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So Is a 2nd rounder at the draft too little or proper value ?

I’d prefer another prospect but it may come down to this

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
So Is a 2nd rounder at the draft too little or proper value ?

I’d prefer another prospect but it may come down to this

If we can get a second rounder for him, then we should take it.

I'm surprised at how much his perceived value has shot back up now that he performed in the SHL again. We still haven't seen him be effective at the NHL level; like, not even slightly.

He may get to being a solid middle-sixer for an NHL team, but I'll take a second rounder and cross my fingers that we don't use it on a goalie.

Reactions: McSauer and Inferno

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
third line center at best and doubt he makes that with any team. Will be one of these players who bounces between NHL and AHL and will eventually be a KHL player. We should have terminated his contract.

Reactions: McSauer

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
third line center at best and doubt he makes that with any team. Will be one of these players who bounces between NHL and AHL and will eventually be a KHL player. We should have terminated his contract.
Terminating his contract would be silly. Even if the chances of him making the NHL appear diminished, why give up on that chance? It's like throwing away a cheap scratch off. The upside may not be much, but what do you have to lose by playing it? Let him come back to camp. Maybe he shows you something.

Also, what if some other team wants to acquire him? I think the odds of anyone giving up a high pick are pretty low, but if some team wanted to take a flyer for a fourth or a fifth? Or even a sixth or a seventh? I'd rather have that pick than not have it.

The Rangers won't just give away an asset for no reason. It's why they retained Nicklas Jensen's rights these past couple of years. They don't want to just let that asset walk, and then see him finally break through with some other NHL club.

I was all for suspending him when they did. But to terminate his contract? That's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Makes sense for Euro-based players, or really any other non-regular NHL players, to consider going to Europe to play. Should be fun for those fans.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You can have a strong pro hockey career outside of the NHL. And that’s probably what he’ll do. Heck if he couldn’t score in Sweden than he shouldn’t even have been drafted in any round.

so don’t get too excited when he starts putting up pts over there. That’s the bare minimum of what he should be doing.

he’s not an nhl hockey player. He cannot skate shoot dangle nada. He’s a good passer I’ll actually give him that but considering he never has the puck on his stick since he has no business being in an nhl game he doesn’t get a chance to show that sharpness

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He's a worthless asset at this point. I can't imagine we'd get anything of value for him... Let him grow up in Sweden and see if he can turn things around. At this point that's worth more than a 7th round pick

Reactions: Kovalev27

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
In Europe for his D+4 season doesn't bode well--he was not drafted as a project that needed time to harness raw high-end skill. Things are complicated somewhat by covid so there's that. At the end of the day, I think he's closer to a Jamie Lundmark than anything else.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Don’t miss the logic here. The SHL is planning to start play on time in September. Let Lias play. If he earns it, he will become a late season call up.

Ability to earn a NT call up, playing top line minutes for one of the better teams in the SHL, all while the AHL is potentially not even happening this upcoming season.

Reactions: egelband
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
It's funny that Ranger fans are dying to give up assets to acquire Puljujärvi while complaining Lias isn't worth anything.
1) I'm not dying to give up anything for Puljujärvi. I'm not sure I trade Lias for him.

2) I'm not complaining that Lias isn't worth anything. I just don't see Lias as the kind of player whose upside is to the point where another team gives up a 2nd for him.

What I also think is: the Ranger best more right now is to hold on to him. If HV-71 is where he feels comfortable, let him play there, hopefully build up some confidence and help him figure out what he needs to do in order to become an effect player who can add value to a team.

The hope would be he becomes something of a later-than-we-like bloomer who can slot in as an effective #3/4 center behind Zibanejad and Strome/Chytil. And to me , that potential is more valuable than what the Rangers could get for him in a trade. And that also makes more sense to me than trying to pwn Lias by terminating his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->