Recalled/Assigned: Lias Andersson - Part III (Loaned to SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
@Oscar Lindberg

"
  • The Swede also told Rylander that he believed he had won the second line center slot after Mika Zibanejad in training camp. That assertion drew the most public reaction since that clearly was not the case. He won a job in training camp, but not the second line center position."
Yet the coaches disagree. I wonder who’s right????

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It's everywhere. The direct quote (from LoHud) is:

“I know I'm a good enough hockey player to play over there,” Andersson told Rylander. “I think I proved that during the preseason. I thought I had clinched a spot (behind top-line center) Mika Zibanejad.”
I think people are taking the context out of the quote and it’s also not our natural language so things get distorted

I feel confident in saying he did not mean he deserved the 2C spot based on his camp

Reactions: NYR Viper

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
:facepalm: good training camp =/= good regular season. do you know who else had a great preseason in the past? Klim Kostin. 4 games in the NHL this season. He's doing his time in the AHL and will probably improve over time. Ty Rattie dominated last season. got 50 games with the Oilers but plays in the KHL this season. Same situation for Anton Lander in the 2016 preseason, KHL the season after. Phil Varone for Ottawa one season (mostly playing in the AHL now). Those quotes are extremely alarming like Lias does not get it and is so far from having a clue. "I made the NHL! welp, my work is done." I'd have a little sympathy if the quotes were more like "it was tough getting only 8 minutes a night with non-offensive assignments" but you'd expect a kid to at least go into working on his play away from the puck (Lias was a drifter) and working on the defensive game (my kingdom for some back checking!).

Good enough to play? ok. Good enough to stick? You have to work on that every day of your life, son.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
Since you're still discussing that Lias quote.

"– Jag vet ju att jag är en tillräckligt bra hockeyspelare för att spela där borta. Det tycker jag att jag bevisade under försäsongen. Jag trodde att jag nypt en plats på centersidan efter Mika Zibanejad, men …"

Translates to

"- I know that I'm a good enough hockey player to play over there. I think I proved that during the preseason. I thought that I had taken a spot at center behind Mika Zibanejad, but..."

I don't think that he in any way says that he should had been 2C. I do think that he implies that he should have had a bigger role out of camp and not been playing 9:33/game.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
One thing I can't accept is the assertion that the coach or organization would try to sabotage their seventh overall pick. This isn’t a case of a player from a previous regime getting frozen out. Lias is their guy and they have every reason to nurture his success.
And beyond that, what kind of coach would hamstring himself by not playing the players he feels are best.
He might not be objectively correct on who’s better, but I think it stands to reason that Quinn is playing who he *believes* gives the Rangers the best chance to win.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

"– Jag vet ju att jag är en tillräckligt bra hockeyspelare för att spela där borta. Det tycker jag att jag bevisade under försäsongen. Jag trodde att jag nypt en plats på centersidan efter Mika Zibanejad, men …"

Translates to

"- I know that I'm a good enough hockey player to play over there. I think I proved that during the preseason. I thought that I had taken a spot at center behind Mika Zibanejad, but..."

I don't think that he in any way says that he should had been 2C. I do think that he implies that he should have had a bigger role out of camp and not been playing 9:33/game.
Man, that’s a LOT of weight being attributed to the fact that he used an indefinite article (a) rather than definite (the).

Given that Mika was the ONLY one he named and he DID receive the 4C, he very clearly thought he was “owed” a much more significant role, definitely the 3C and likely the 2C.

Which is laughable. He had a solid camp — but only to the point that we were all saying “thank God, maybe he CAN be a bottom sixer”, not “holy cow, he’s knocking down the door!” And then, the moment the season started and the vets all kicked it up a notch, he did absolutely NOTHING to be noticed.

Barring new info re: hazing or injuries or some other mitigating factor, this is 90% on Lias, and what is apparently his misbegotten sense of entitlement.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Man, that’s a LOT of weight being attributed to the fact that he used an indefinite article (a) rather than definite (the).

Given that Mika was the ONLY one he named and he DID receive the 4C, he very clearly thought he was “owed” a much more significant role, definitely the 3C and likely the 2C.

Which is laughable. He had a solid camp — but only to the point that we were all saying “thank God, maybe he CAN be a bottom sixer”, not “holy cow, he’s knocking down the door!” And then, the moment the season started and the vets all kicked it up a notch, he did absolutely NOTHING to be noticed.

Barring new info re: hazing or injuries or some other mitigating factor, this is 90% on Lias, and what is apparently misbegotten sense of entitlement.
My thoughts too.
But I do believe there's something more to this story. Got to be. No?

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I would love if we simply did a Pool Party <-> Lias trade. Holland was supposedly big on Lias when he was in Detroit but I guess he must see Pool Party as a more valuable asset to not want to do the one-for-one.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I think people are taking the context out of the quote and it’s also not our natural language so things get distorted

I feel confident in saying he did not mean he deserved the 2C spot based on his camp

I'm confident that the fact that he named Zibanejad and that he was "behind" him means he thought he earned the spot behind 1C. That's 2C.

Had he felt he just made the team, I believe he would've worded that a little differently.

To each his own.

Reactions: NernieBichols

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's going to be tough to trade the guy when he won't talk to anyone and maybe isn't even on the same page as his agent. And oh yeah, his dad likes to talk. I would need a lot of assurances from the player and the agent before I'd be willing to acquire him.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I really would love to see the Rangers move this kid out of the organization ASAP. He is a combination of entitlement and delusion.
Does he understand just how many players give everything to try to make it in this league? How many players would give their left nut to have been in his position?
Does he have anyone around him who can tell him that he just needs to continue to work and wait for his opportunity?
I don't think this kids talent matches the drama. As of today, players like him are a dime a dozen.
I gave this kid the benefit of the doubt after he acted like a petulant child at the WJC. I was wrong.
Maybe he can develop more and find a niche in the NHL. I just hope it is for another organization.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Translates to

At this point, we’re going around in circles. But, he did earn a center spot behind Zib. He just didn’t do enough to keep it. He never found way to stand out, get noticed and force Quinn’s hand. he rested on a few preseason games.

And ultimately, it does matter what he thinks or thought.

Last edited:

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I remember some daydreaming that he’d be the captain eventually. Oh how the turntables have...
I was among them — but I think it’s been clear for some time that we grossly miscalculated his upside.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I really would love to see the Rangers move this kid out of the organization ASAP. He is a combination of entitlement and delusion.
Does he understand just how many players give everything to try to make it in this league? How many players would give their left nut to have been in his position?
Does he have anyone around him who can tell him that he just needs to continue to work and wait for his opportunity?
I don't think this kids talent matches the drama. As of today, players like him are a dime a dozen.
I gave this kid the benefit of the doubt after he acted like a petulant child at the WJC. I was wrong.
Maybe he can develop more and find a niche in the NHL. I just hope it is for another organization.
I hate to comment on a person’s mindset based on perception rather than actually meeting that person. But he is sure coming across that way.

It also changes rather way I look at the medal throwing incident.

Reactions: egelband

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Didn't him and Chytil both get demoted at the same time? I don't remember Chytil complaining. He fought for his spot and earned. Lias needs to realize that you have to work for the things you want in life.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Didn't him and Chytil both get demoted at the same time? I don't remember Chytil complaining. He fought for his spot and earned. Lias needs to realize that you have to work for the things you want in life.
Chytil got demoted first...lias made the team over him.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I personally think they need to tell his agent they arent trading him, he is welcome to come back and they will work to fix whatever his issues are but at this point his value is so low they will not be moving him

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ
Debating the quote is pointless. Regardless of what he said / meant, there was either (a) something really wierd / sketchy that occurred while he was here, or (b) there wasn't. In either case his comments are meaningless.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Chytil’s dad is a farmer. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to walk away from a dream job and not have to worry about putting food on the table.
642F4F71-CE2E-44F7-BFA3-B0A396A8833A.jpeg

Last edited:

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011

Translates to

I immediately took it that he meant the 2C spot.

I think most folks took it that did. He wouldn’t have said behind Mika otherwise. He would have just said I thought I earned a center spot on the team

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I'm confident that the fact that he named Zibanejad and that he was "behind" him means he thought he earned the spot behind 1C. That's 2C.

Had he felt he just made the team, I believe he would've worded that a little differently.

To each his own.
Totally agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad