Player Discussion Lias Andersson: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I mean I guess that's fair.

But a counter point. Responsible 2 way centers that put up a lot of points. I'd wager most of them, early on their career, looked exactly like 3rd/4th line centers.

I just feel judging a young prospect strictly on what you see at the current time ignores their ability to grow. Kreider looked like Sjostrom. Callahan looked like an elite 4th line grinder. Just sayin.
True enough

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Calling him a bust is so premature its ridiculous. Take a look at the players picked after him and tell me how many have proven anything at the NHL level yet....

I was disappointed with what I saw this year from him, but there really isn't anyone else we would have used with that pick on that looks like an obvious choice over him so far.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Calling him a bust is so premature its ridiculous. Take a look at the players picked after him and tell me how many have proven anything at the NHL level yet....

I was disappointed with what I saw this year from him, but there really isn't anyone else we would have used with that pick on that looks like an obvious choice over him so far.
Where is anyone talking about anyone that should have been drafted instead of him. It's simply commentary on him.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
LA isnt a bust. that's way premature.

he hasn't shown me much yet to believe his upside is what i anticipated.

this season will be an important one as he should earn a full time spot out of camp.

he needs to find his role and, whatever that is next season, do it very well.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Where is anyone talking about anyone that should have been drafted instead of him. It's simply commentary on him.

It's in reference to calling him a bust. If he is a bust then almost the entire first round is a bust and its less a commentary on him and more of a commentary on that fact in my opinion.

Which is why I think its ridiculous to call him a bust, or any of those other players from that draft so far. Way too early to write someone off like that completely.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
It's in reference to calling him a bust. If he is a bust then almost the entire first round is a bust and its less a commentary on him and more of a commentary on that fact in my opinion.

Which is why I think its ridiculous to call him a bust, or any of those other players from that draft so far. Way too early to write someone off like that completely.
That draft sucked. We all knew it going in. I would have taken brannstrom there but it is what it is. He hasn't proven anything either.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
That draft sucked. We all knew it going in. I would have taken brannstrom there but it is what it is. He hasn't proven anything either.
Pure speculation on my part, get the flamethrowers ready. The Rangers went into the 1st knowing they were getting Chytil late in the round and that he was as big of a boom/bust ass they were going to see at that draft position. They needed to get a guaranteed NHL'er at 7 and the guys they wanted were gone just before their pick. No one at that time would dispute the odds of Lias being an NHL roster player. My pessimistic take at the time was Ranger fans created a Swedish Stepan narrative for themselves based off the trade for the 7 spot but that Lias' floor and ceiling were very similar and actually just at a 3rd liner level. I am way less down on the pick seeing how the rest of the class is doing 2 years in and really hope LA can take a step up.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He’s a bust if you thought his upside was that of a top 6 center. That ain’t ever happening.

If you went in hoping for a 4th liner like Lindberg and praying he topped out as a third line wing well then maybe calling him a bust just yet is premature fine.

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Little pleasures but I'm glad that at least "the reach" argument has been defeated and no longer a part of discussion.

Could he bust out? Sure but it's WAAAAAY too early to call it, especially in regard to a 20-year old who spend most of the season in the NHL and toward the end showed signs of improvements and acclimation to the NHL.

However, as a PROSPECT his value is probably the highest at the moment - a former 7OA who performed and produced at every lower level, and repeating, spend his D+2 year in the NHL. While it is too early to predict him a bust, it's not to early for Gorton to consider his place in the eventual core vs. his present value if moved. Specifically, IMHO his current value includes a sizable premium, not a discount.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Little pleasures but I'm glad that at least "the reach" argument has been defeated and no longer a part of discussion.

Could he bust out? Sure but it's WAAAAAY too early to call it, especially in regard to a 20-year old who spend most of the season in the NHL and toward the end showed signs of improvements and acclimation to the NHL.

However, as a PROSPECT his value is probably the highest at the moment - a former 7OA who performed and produced at every lower level, and repeating, spend his D+2 year in the NHL. While it is too early to predict him a bust, it's not to early for Gorton to consider his place in the eventual core vs. his present value if moved. Specifically, IMHO his current value includes a sizable premium, not a discount.

See I think you’re spot on I think he’s a guy if we have a big deal on our mind that Gorton would consider including to get something done for say a trouba. He still has that 7th overall appeal and shine that he’s valuable. But it’s very clear where he is on our depth chart once the kakko pick is made. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him moved.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
How do you mean "defeated"?

I think it's more that we all just got tired of discussing it.

There's been a pretty direct evidence that Detroit was going to pick Lias if he was available. And another team (I forgot which) just a few spots later. Ergo, not a reach.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Lias is exactly the type of projected player you win with when this thing is all finished. Once he gets some more strength and weight onto his frame he will be able to play the way he needs to and has all his life, he is too slight to do it right now against men. His skating will be worked on as well. He will be fine.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Lias reminded me of Callahan when he first came up. The next year he turned out fine. As Aaron Rodgers once said, R-E-L-A-X.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Yeah, people calling him a bust must be doing so in reference to him being a Kravstov-level prospect or a Panarin-level NHL scorer.

The Callahan comparison is apt. Here’s another one, what about Derek Stepan? Lias can’t get to the level of being a defensively responsible, slowish, 50-55 point center?

Come on. A bit early to say he can’t do that. And Stepan was our #1 Center for a handful of years. Andersson can still develop into a 50-60 point solid second line center.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
There's been a pretty direct evidence that Detroit was going to pick Lias if he was available. And another team (I forgot which) just a few spots later. Ergo, not a reach.

I haven't seen any of that, but it does certainly lend a lot of credit to him not being a reach.

Still nowhere on mine or the majority of the board's radar at the time, but whatever, it's much more constructive to talk about him as a prospect than him as the 7th overall selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->