LIARS

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
No doubt there is some bias from other team fans in the HNIC poll, just as the Sens asking only STH is biased as well. I have been a fan since the team arrived, so my opinion wouldn't have been in the Sens poll, but is in the HNIC poll.
I think the fact that fans called into TSN1200 for all night after the trade, and are generally upset with the trades thus far and the direction of the team should at least be obvious that the Sens poll is not representative of Sens fans in general.

This isn't a situation where 75% of Sens fans like the direction, and 92% of the rest of the world doesn't. It is more likely that 80% of Sens fans overall are not happy with the direction at this point. I have no way to substantiate that, other than saying 9/10 dentists agree.
Im not happy with the direction

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
No doubt there is some bias from other team fans in the HNIC poll, just as the Sens asking only STH is biased as well. I have been a fan since the team arrived, so my opinion wouldn't have been in the Sens poll, but is in the HNIC poll.
I think the fact that fans called into TSN1200 for all night after the trade, and are generally upset with the trades thus far and the direction of the team should at least be obvious that the Sens poll is not representative of Sens fans in general.

This isn't a situation where 75% of Sens fans like the direction, and 92% of the rest of the world doesn't. It is more likely that 80% of Sens fans overall are not happy with the direction at this point. I have no way to substantiate that, other than saying 9/10 dentists agree.

I put no stock in either poll.

Perhaps they can add a "Sens" poll on the ballot for the upcoming municipal election to get a true sense of what Ottawa residents are thinking ........

OR, people can buy a hat, and get their (Free with every order) #Melnykout car decal

MelnykOut_Flex_Fit_Meshback_Heather_Black_Front_1024x1024.png

MelnykOut

Reactions: BigCanadian

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Pierre Dorion running tally trade tracker:

IN: Duchene, Gustavsson, Bernard-Docker, Tychonick, Formenton, Tierney, Norris, Balcers, SJS 1st 2019 or 2020, SJS 2nd 2019

for

OUT: Karlsson, Zibanejad, Turris, Hoffman, Bowers, Dahlen, Berggren, OTT 1st 2019

Which group would you rather have?

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

IN: Duchene, Gustavsson, Bernard-Docker, Tychonick, Formenton, Tierney, Norris, Balcers, SJS 1st 2019 or 2020, SJS 2nd 2019

for

OUT: Karlsson, Zibanejad, Turris, Hoffman, Bowers, Dahlen, Berggren, OTT 1st 2019

It doesn't really matter; they'd all share the same owner and there's no hope for either.

Reactions: Liliaceae

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The DD deal included a HUGE $10 Million signing bonus next July 1st, and then $2 million in each of the next 2 years and $4 million in the fourth year.

This is probably what the owner meant, when he said other teams could outgun the Senators.

There is no way in hell that Melnyk was going to allow this type of a bonus laden contract to be offered....... as he feels he has been burned in the past (see Dany Heatley).

It has been reported a number of times, that he was offered $88 million over 8 years, and EK65 did not counter offer, according to PD...... EK65 probably thinks he deserves at the very least the same type of (structured) contract that DD received, and rightly so, as he's the better of the two....... and as I suspect we'll see that reflected if he signs an extension, of when he signs with Tampa as an UFA.

The cost of signing bonuses is largely only relevant for lockout years and buyouts when it comes to being out bid; let me explain why:
Lets say for the sake of argument the Sens or LA don’t have cash to pay out a 10 mil bonus Jul 1st. Ok, so what do we do; we take out a loan. The NHL has a low interest line of credit available at about 2%, but lets say that the team already maxed that out and have to get a less favourable rate from another lender, at say 5%. Run that 12 month loan through a loan calculator and it’s going to cost the team about 270k in interest. At 2%, it’s around 108k. Out gunning us with bonus structures is imo a red herring, unless we either have no ability to borrow left (possible) or our margins are paper thin. Either way, the point remains we’re being outgunned by 100-270k for that one year of a large bonus. The 2 mil and 4 mil bonus years would obviously cost less in interest.

The same logic applies to backloading vs evenly spread contract structures. Let’s say we claim we can’t afford 11 mil until we get to Lebreton, so we offer to backload the contract. An 8 year contract could be structured as 8 mil per for years 1 through 5 and 16 mil for years 6, 7 and 8. If we off the evenly spread deal, we’re borrowing an extra 3 mil per year for the first 5 years. At 5%, that costs you about 82k each year totaling around 410k, or 33k per year totaling 165k. You then could save a bit in the final 3 years as you wouldn’t need to borrow as much as you would have paying 16 mil per those last 3 seasons.
Teams shouldn’t be nickeling and diming players over bonus structures, because in the grand scheme it’s largely irrelevant, with two exceptions: Lockout years, and buyouts. Doughty’s 10 mil bonus amounts to drops in the bucket. Of course, you can’t do it for every player, because those drops will add up, but if doing so with the best player on your team and arguably the best dman in the league causes your bucket to overflow, that’s indicative of a team if far greater financial trouble than it’s letting on.

Alternatively, perhaps the Sens simply don’t offer signing bonuses at all as a matter of principle, like ever. As you suggest, Melnyk may feel he got burned on Heatley, I don’t think they’ve given one out since Ryan though who else would we have. Even the one we gave to Karlsson way back was just one year. If this is a case, that’s a really strange strategy that could very well be another self-defeating maneuver on their part. We end up overpaying guys to make up for no bonus, and alienating them at the same time. Either way, I still think it's disingenuous to say other teams can out bid us based on bonus structures, the lending cost is trivial in the scheme of things. It's more about risk aversion for buyouts, lockouts, and trades, none of which would be relevant in the 10 mil bonus in year one (unless our aim was to sign and trade him and we waited till after that deadline)

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The cost of signing bonuses is largely only relevant for lockout years and buyouts when it comes to being out bid; let me explain why:
Lets say for the sake of argument the Sens or LA don’t have cash to pay out a 10 mil bonus Jul 1st. Ok, so what do we do; we take out a loan. The NHL has a low interest line of credit available at about 2%, but lets say that the team already maxed that out and have to get a less favourable rate from another lender, at say 5%. Run that 12 month loan through a loan calculator and it’s going to cost the team about 270k in interest. At 2%, it’s around 108k. Out gunning us with bonus structures is imo a red herring, unless we either have no ability to borrow left (possible) or our margins are paper thin. Either way, the point remains we’re being outgunned by 100-270k for that one year of a large bonus. The 2 mil and 4 mil bonus years would obviously cost less in interest.

The same logic applies to backloading vs evenly spread contract structures. Let’s say we claim we can’t afford 11 mil until we get to Lebreton, so we offer to backload the contract. An 8 year contract could be structured as 8 mil per for years 1 through 5 and 16 mil for years 6, 7 and 8. If we off the evenly spread deal, we’re borrowing an extra 3 mil per year for the first 5 years. At 5%, that costs you about 82k each year totaling around 410k, or 33k per year totaling 165k. You then could save a bit in the final 3 years as you wouldn’t need to borrow as much as you would have paying 16 mil per those last 3 seasons.
Teams shouldn’t be nickeling and diming players over bonus structures, because in the grand scheme it’s largely irrelevant, with two exceptions: Lockout years, and buyouts. Doughty’s 10 mil bonus amounts to drops in the bucket. Of course, you can’t do it for every player, because those drops will add up, but if doing so with the best player on your team and arguably the best dman in the league causes your bucket to overflow, that’s indicative of a team if far greater financial trouble than it’s letting on.

Alternatively, perhaps the Sens simply don’t offer signing bonuses at all as a matter of principle, like ever. As you suggest, Melnyk may feel he got burned on Heatley, I don’t think they’ve given one out since Ryan though who else would we have. Even the one we gave to Karlsson way back was just one year. If this is a case, that’s a really strange strategy that could very well be another self-defeating maneuver on their part. We end up overpaying guys to make up for no bonus, and alienating them at the same time. Either way, I still think it's disingenuous to say other teams can out bid us based on bonus structures, the lending cost is trivial in the scheme of things. It's more about risk aversion for buyouts, lockouts, and trades, none of which would be relevant in the 10 mil bonus in year one (unless our aim was to sign and trade him and we waited till after that deadline)

I was under the impression the NHLs Line of Credit was still not available to NHL owners in Canada ....... has this changed?

NHL’s low-interest line of credit ruled offside in Canada

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was under the impression the NHLs Line of Credit was still not available to NHL owners in Canada ....... has this changed?

NHL’s low-interest line of credit ruled offside in Canada
Yes, I'' try and dig up the reference, but last time I found it, it took some digging to find.

Here's one reference,

NHL welcomes Canadian teams to loan pool

Not sure what they mean by this though

NHL teams can borrow up to $100 million from the credit facility, which is backed by national media contracts. That amount means that for now, if teams were to borrow to the maximum amount, no more than three of the NHL’s seven Canadian teams could borrow from the credit facility.

Perhaps all the american teams already maxed it out...

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

for

2nd group easily for me

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We know at least one of his kids keeps close tabs on the Senators, I wonder how it must feel to go home and have to either:

Lie to your own son
Admit to your son that you lie for a living

Pierre, you are selling your dignity for the lowest paid GM job. Have some pride.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
We know at least one of his kids keeps close tabs on the Senators, I wonder how it must feel to go home and have to either:

Lie to your own son
Admit to your son that you lie for a living

Pierre, you are selling your dignity for the lowest paid GM job. Have some pride.

It must feel good. Brent Wallace didn't even call out Dorion's lie when he said Zack Smith was the most difficult conversation, local media didn't even challenge that.
As GM of the Senators you can do anything and say anything and the only ones challeenging you are fans on social media, who have no access to the team.
Pretty sweet job, you can be terrible and local pundits live in fear of asking you a single tough question.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
They lied to us about the in-game experience too. I heard way too much "Make some NoooIIIIiiiiiSSSsseee" and "Everybody clap yo hands. CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP", and Cotton Eye Joe.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
They lied to us about the in-game experience too. I heard way too much "Make some NoooIIIIiiiiiSSSsseee" and "Everybody clap yo hands. CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP", and Cotton Eye Joe.
Jesus Christ you heard cotton eyed joe??

Jesus Christ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->