LIARS

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Dorion admitting yesterday that they decided in February to trade Karlsson, then telling fans in THREE SEPARATE TOWN HALLS as soon as the season ended that they would be making him offers to re-sign here.

That's a DOOZY of a fib.

Well, they did offer him an extension, and it was not accepted, so not really a fib.

Either it was not "market value" and they knew it was not going to be accepted, or EK65 had decided it was not "market value" and he rejected it.

Dorion admitted (in February) after meeting with EM, that they had decided to embark on a rebuild ....... not that he was going to trade EK65.

He did admit that he had decided at some point, perhaps after the extension offer, or before, no on knows ...... that EK65 would bring back more in a trade to start their rebuild, I guess more than another player..... he never really elaborated on how he came to choose who to trade.

In any case, it does not appear to be enough of a return for EK65 ....... and the only it might be enough, is that he fully intends to explore Unrestricted Free Agency, and both the Senators and Sharks made this trade knowing this.

If he signs an extension with the Sharks, even with the extra pick(s) if he does, this trade gets even worse.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Well, they did offer him an extension, and it was not accepted, so not really a fib.

Either it was not "market value" and they knew it was not going to be accepted, or EK65 had decided it was not "market value" and he rejected it.

Dorion admitted (in February) after meeting with EM, that they had decided to embark on a rebuild ....... not that he was going to trade EK65.

He did admit that he had decided at some point, perhaps after the extension offer, or before, no on knows ...... that EK65 would bring back more in a trade to start their rebuild, I guess more than another player..... he never really elaborated on how he came to choose who to trade.

In any case, it does not appear to be enough of a return for EK65 ....... and the only it might be enough, is that he fully intends to explore Unrestricted Free Agency, and both the Senators and Sharks made this trade knowing this.

If he signs an extension with the Sharks, even with the extra pick(s) if he does, this trade gets even worse.
Read the room, pal. Dorion is caught in a lie, and you can drag his statements through all the semantics and technicalities you want, he's a liar.

Why continue to defend these people?

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

I can tell you from reliable source that in february the decision to trade him had already been made

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Read the room, pal. Dorion is caught in a lie, and you can drag his statements through all the semantics and technicalities you want, he's a liar.

Why continue to defend these people?

Not defending anyone, just pointing out the obvious inaccuracies.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
It was probably unacceptable.
Or they would have traded a signed at rebate Karlsson that every team would have wanted and then the return would have been greater.

The thing I know for sure is front office wanted him gone by training camp

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
In the pursuit of being fair, Mendes asked Dorion about that yesterday. Dorion said the decision to rebuild was made in February. Later on, the decision to move EK was made. They decided later that the easiest way to build up a pile of prospects/picks was to move EK.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

Gaslighting set on max!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
In the pursuit of being fair, Mendes asked Dorion about that yesterday. Dorion said the decision to rebuild was made in February. Later on, the decision to move EK was made. They decided later that the easiest way to build up a pile of prospects/picks was to move EK.

Which is a lie as well.

First of all it's easier to rebuild around a still young Karlsson, and second of all, the return we got for him isn't nearly enough to rebuild around.

I mean, maybe in his little head he thought he was telling the truth, but we all know trading EK was about money.

Reactions: billpo and Emerica

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Would have been given a full NMC, as Carey Price was ....... or he would not have accepted.

You're already playing a "what-if" scenario. What if they had signed Karlsson?

What if they front-loaded his contract enough? What about a limited NMC like virtually everyone has these days?

I don't think anyone actually believes that a serious offer was made to re-sign Karlsson.

Many of us suspected that the whole thing was a (poorly conceived and executed) face-saving gesture and we were proven right.

The fact that Dorion let slip that the rebuild decision was made in February (what, you're going to rebuild by keeping all of your players?), and that he was on the block at the deadline, just revealed how two-faced they were over the summer.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

exactly how I remember this all unfolding.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

"We've had this plan in place when I met with Mr. Melnyk in February. This was our plan decided by our hockey operations group which I'm at the lead of, at the head of. Erik Karlsson was probably going to gather the best return in a possible rebuild."
Pierre Dorion, Sept. 14, 2018.

"When we can offer Erik a contract on July 1, we will do so."
March 23, 2018.

It's not complicated – either Dorion is lying about the timeline of the decision, or the offered contract was not in good faith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->