Value of: LHD to Montreal

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
109 games is a ridiculously small sample set?

Why are you even going back to Petry's 205-2016 season? He's gotten much better since then. Since last year, Petry has 69 points in the last 109 games. Gardiner has 73 points in the last 117 games. While the stats are close, the teams each player has played for is definitely not close in terms of offensive talent.

Yeah I'm not using mid 30's game sample sizes for you. Petry has been fantastic since last year and if you don't want to believe me then it's up to you.

2017/18

Gardiner 52 points
Petry 42 points.

Your data is based on this year only. Every year before this, Gardiner is superior. Only difference is that Weber was injured this year, making Petry the #1, while Gardiner gets the #2 time.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
2017/18

Gardiner 52 points
Petry 42 points.

Your data is based on this year only. Every year before this, Gardiner is superior. Only difference is that Weber was injured this year, making Petry the #1, while Gardiner gets the #2 time.
No my data is based on last year and this year. I like how you say that is the only difference. Not the fact that the leafs have MUCH better offensive players than the Habs :laugh:. Wouldnt Petry also be getting top pair time in Toronto? I mean that is the whole point of the trade no?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
No my data is based on last year and this year. I like how you say that is the only difference. Not the fact that the leafs have MUCH better offensive players than the Habs :laugh:. Wouldnt Petry also be getting top pair time in Toronto? I mean that is the whole point of the trade no?

..and wouldn't Gardiner be getting top pairing minutes in Montreal? I mean, that is the whole point of the trade, no?

Every year, except this year, Gardiner has more points than Petry... Every year. Bottom line, the only difference is this year. Literally, the only difference is this year.. .and if you want to anoint someone better, for a 36 game sample set... good on you.

I think it's a good trade for both teams, Gardiner extended, or protection for same... but let's not make ridiculous claims based on very small sample sets. Have a Great Christmas.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Whoever acquires Petry (if made available) isn't getting the Petry of 2 seasons ago; they're getting what you're seeing now.

Defensemen aren't like forwards. They peak later.

Cool man. He's still at the point where he is likely exiting his prime years. I strongly doubt Petry just suddenly greatly improved his game at that age, compared to the much more likely case that he's just riding high.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Cool man. He's still at the point where he is likely exiting his prime years. I strongly doubt Petry just suddenly greatly improved his game at that age, compared to the much more likely case that he's just riding high.

He's been riding high since last year. He was always a good player and-after putting up 12g, 42 pts last year-he's now having an all-star year. His contract just so happens to be perfect for a team looking to load up on veteran talent in their prime; as it ends right when he should start seeing a drop in his play.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
..and wouldn't Gardiner be getting top pairing minutes in Montreal? I mean, that is the whole point of the trade, no?

Every year, except this year, Gardiner has more points than Petry... Every year. Bottom line, the only difference is this year. Literally, the only difference is this year.. .and if you want to anoint someone better, for a 36 game sample set... good on you.

I think it's a good trade for both teams, Gardiner extended, or protection for same... but let's not make ridiculous claims based on very small sample sets. Have a Great Christmas.

I'd rather the Habs keep Petry and throw some money at Gardiner on July 1st (if they're interested) instead of trading Petry for Gardiner. The Habs could possibly have both and getting Gardiner wouldn't have cost any assets and only money. If Gardiner won't sign with the Habs at least you still have Petry and they could then look elsewhere for a LHD.

Also trading Petry for Gardiner while upgrading the left side would create a hole on the right side where there isn't one already so it really isn't upgrading the Habs defense. They would be patching one hole while creating another so pretty much a lateral move.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I'd rather the Habs keep Petry and throw some money at Gardiner on July 1st (if they're interested) instead of trading Petry for Gardiner. The Habs could possibly have both and getting Gardiner wouldn't have cost any assets and only money. If Gardiner won't sign with the Habs at least you still have Petry and they could then look elsewhere for a LHD.

Also trading Petry for Gardiner while upgrading the left side would create a hole on the right side where there isn't one already so it really isn't upgrading the Habs defense. They would be patching one hole while creating another so pretty much a lateral move.

The only way I see Montreal trading Petry is if one of Brook, Juulsen, Fleury show that they're FULLY ready and capable enough for top-4 duties next year, and that's a stretch given how long young defensemen (even the very good ones) usually take to really cement themselves at the NHL level, or we receive an offer for him that handily outweighs his utility for us (AKA overpayment), which also isn't likely.

Reactions: sheed36

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Valimaki for brook ?
Both fill a need and switch from a strong position

Admittedly I haven’t seen enough of Brook to evaluate the value here, though I am very high on Valimaki. Some on the flames board think Kylington will be better and that both Kylington and Valimaki will be better than Hanifin.

I guess I’d break it down as Kylington being either hit or miss homerun whereas Valimaki and Hanifin are probably both safely going to be top 4 talents (Hanifin already is) with the potential to be more as well. One will need to replace Giordano eventually

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Gardiner is one dimensional - good offensively and terrible defensively. Petry is a balanced top pairing dman who is producing offensively the past 2 years and has term left on his contract.

Petry >>>>>>>> Gardiner.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
One of the guys I could see the Canadiens trying to acquire is Calvin De Haan. I know he just recently signed with the Hurricanes and was brought in to try and replace Hanifin's role within the team and has performed well, but the Hurricanes have Jake Bean playing in the AHL as a LD and could potentially look to trade De Haan for some assets to better suit their push for youth since trading him might not impact their left-side defense too badly given that they've also got Slavin and Fleury who are pretty good.

De Haan could be a fit on the Habs given his defense-first style of play, age and skating ability.

Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad