Prospect Info: LHD Arseni Koromyslov - SKA-1946 St. Petersburg #120 overall 2022 NHL Draft

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Not holding me breath that we will ever see this guy play in NA.
He was actually at the draft, so I wouldn’t be shocked. Odds are that he’ll be at camp this week. Would have been nice if he’d been taken in the CHL import draft, but so it goes. The fact that he’s here is a pretty good sign, imo.

Edit: This is a lie

Last edited:

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
He was actually at the draft, so I wouldn’t be shocked. Odds are that he’ll be at camp this week. Would have been nice if he’d been taken in the CHL import draft, but so it goes. The fact that he’s here is a pretty good sign, imo.

Ow, wow. He was there? I haven't seen any pictures of him at the draft on either the Blues' Twitter or website, while all our other draftees did had their moment with a Blues jersey on. He's also our only draftee that hasn't done an interview with Andy Strickland at the draft in that case. Now I might understand him not doing an interview if his english isn't good enough, but he should at least had a photo taken with a Blues jersey on?

Reactions: Blueston

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Ow, wow. He was there? I haven't seen any pictures of him at the draft on either the Blues' Twitter or website, while all our other draftees did had their moment with a Blues jersey on. He's also our only draftee that hasn't done an interview with Andy Strickland at the draft in that case. Now I might understand him not doing an interview if his english isn't good enough, but he should at least had a photo taken with a Blues jersey on?
Ooooh, you know what? It was Marc-Andre Gaudet that I was seeing. I think I assumed bc of the order of the draft photos that it was Koromyslov, but after checking against other photos of the two of them it’s definitely MAG.

My bad! Obviously that changes things

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Well, I don't know anything about if he'll ever come over etc.... but what i can tell u is i'm very low key excited for this pick.

I downloaded his shifts, gaudet and kaskimakis to watch on my flight this morning and I came away extremely impressed with Koromyslov. Not so much the other two haha. I know it's a very small sample size but this is what I took from watching him:

Reminded me a ton of Emil Viro(which is a good thing considering he is one of my biggest sleepers from the 2020 draft) but in a 6'3 body. He's a very smooth and fluid skater with fantastic transitional feet. His ability to pivot from backwards to forwards when playing the rush is extremely impressive, as is his ability to use forward angling to defend the rush and if he undercuts his angle or the attacker pulls up he's easily able to hit the brakes and re-gap. I also loved his stick detail both off the rush and in zone defending. He was playing his offside a bunch and had no issues with rotations or gapping etc...

What i really loved about him was how poised and smart he was with the puck on his stick. It reminded me of when guys like pronger or hedman have the puck and there's just that calming effect and 99/100 times the play they make with it results in continued possession, even if it's not a "sexy" play. Arseniy is the same way, he has nice ability to hold onto the puck, manipulate opposing fwds and make a smart controlled play while under pressure. I"ve seen some reports saying he's just simple and safe with the puck which implies he's just a parayko or scandella esque glass n out type of D. I didn't see that in my viewings. I saw a calm poised smart puck distributor that doesn't try to do too much or make hope plays/take unnecessary risks that don't fit his style. But i saw consistent intelligent puck moving. HIs shot is nothing special but it's fine, he seems to read the game well and deliver the puck to the net in smart ways like purposely shooting into traffic etc... to create chaos around the net.

It also looks like his physical body/frame has plenty of room for growth and strength. which is exciting given how smooth and controlled he already is as a scrawnyish kid in that 6'3 body.

I don't want to overyhype him and guarantee he's gonna be some stud top 4 D....but out of all of our current D prospects (I haven't gotten to watch Buchinger yet but will get to him soon) he's the one i'm probably most excited for long term as I think he could be a future 2nd pair D that defends well and makes consistent positive plays with the puck.

If i were to make a comparison, i'd say a 6'3 Sergachev in terms of his skating, defensive ability and transitional/breakout puck play.....but obviously isn't in the same stratosphere as sergachev on the dynamic offensive side of things that made sergachev the special talent that he is and obvi the 9th overall pick in his draft.

So i guess in my eyes, he's kind of like a hybrid of sergachev and gunnarsson if that makes any sense to you guys lol.

Again, i don't want to overhype, but i'm super excited to see this kids development over the next few years. I really like his combination of size, defensive ability, brain and puck poise.

Edit: Was just watching the 3 games of plays video posted above which happened to be from september(beginning of the year) his footwork and stick detail defensively looks brutal in that video. He must've made some serious progress from beginning to end this year because the game i watched that was towards the very end of the year was night and day different than that video.

If anyone cares, Kaskimaki showed me nothing but defensive value(similiar to a joakim nordstrom or kruger) and Gaudet just doesn't have anything i saw as special or a future nhl D. Not much to be excited about with those 2 in my opinion, tho if kaskimaki can brecome a kruger, that'd be fantastic as a mid round pick.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad