LHD Anton Johannesson - HV71, SuperElit (2020, 133rd, WPG)

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I didn't see a thread of him by HF search or searching HF through google.

EP: Anton Johannesson at eliteprospects.com

Johannesson has been hampered by injuries in recent years, but was healthy and playing great prior to the hockey stoppage. Posted 24 points in 20 games in the SuperElit this season, which was the highest points-per-game in the league for a defenseman (of any age).

Frequently partnered with fellow 2002 Emil Andrae, the less-touted Johannesson looks better to me. He's so sure-handed with the puck, easily escapes pressure from forwards and doesn't hurry his passes/throw away the puck as much as the gambling Andrae. His skating and puck movement is done with high-efficiency.

Offensively, he's electric, fantastic passing, nice wrist shot.

Not much media out there on him, just this 1 goal from about a month ago:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
He's a great prospect, but his injury history is real hefty. If only he could stay healthy, his draft stock is hurt by it, but if he can stay healthy he'll be a steal. Right now that's a big if, though.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
I think he goes in the 3rd round as a big boom or bust talent with his offensive upside and injury history

Reactions: Killerjas

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Injured over much of the last two years, Swedish defenceman Anton Johannesson might be flying under the radar when it comes to 2020 Draft prospects. Playing in the HV71 system, Johannesson put up three goals and three assists for six points in five games in the J18 league. Clearly dominating at that level, he moved up to the Sweden’s top Under-20 league, the SuperElit where he scored eight goals and 16 assists for 24 points in 20 games. He also had two points in four games at the Junior Club World Cup. Johannesson played big minutes of the HV71 J20 top pair with fellow 2020 NHL Draft prospect Emil Andrae. He also played two games for Sweden’s U18 national team, appearing at the Five Nations Tournament.

In 2018-19 Johannesson played eight games in the SuperElit putting up one goal and one assist. He also played three games in the J18, picking up two assists. Johannesson represented Sweden in the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, picking up one goal and three points in five games and winning a bronze medal. In 2017-18 he was one of the best players in the Under-16 league, scoring 10 goals and 32 points in 14 games.

Our Scouting Report
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/05/22/anton-johannesson-scouting-report/

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Could be a steal.. he missed a lot of hockey... likely could have played up a level if he didn't... Any team taking a chance on him in the 2nd could have a nice reward

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Doesn't look like his injury issues are going to end. Missed a handful of games already this season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is that misprint on the hockey scouting website?...is he really listed at 5'9" and 154? If he can't stay healthy in Swedish junior hockey, how is that ever going to translate to the pros?

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Is that misprint on the hockey scouting website?...is he really listed at 5'9" and 154? If he can't stay healthy in Swedish junior hockey, how is that ever going to translate to the pros?
I'm surprised at how high I see Johannesson and Andrae on people's list given how small they are and how weak they are defensively. I'd be nervous drafting either before the third round.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I'm surprised at how high I see Johannesson and Andrae on people's list given how small they are and how weak they are defensively. I'd be nervous drafting either before the third round.
Andrae is passable defensively at worst and while his height isn't ideal he has a similar frame to Rossi, or Krug for an NHL comparable(in more ways than one).

Johannesson really needs to put on some weight, stop getting injured, and work on his defensive game, his offensive game has some great upside however. Third round sounds right for AJ considering everything.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Still rehabilitating latest injury .
(starting to feel fed up and considering quitting, according to some info I received from inside his team).

Hope he recovers. An excellent defenseman when healthy.

Reactions: hn777 and Eye of Ra

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
Very sad to see talent derailed this way. Hopefully he gets back on track but it must be hard to keep the motivation and desire to keep playing.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
4G over the weekend as a defenceman. He's still only 19 years old and would have been eligible for the World Juniors (had he not been injured). He's up to 17 pts in 19 GP which is highest pts/gm by a D on his HV71 team. Hope he can stay healthy so we can all see his potential

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad