Levitt: We DID audit the numbers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Interesting timing that this info comes out now, if nothing else.

Commenting on his report of last year..

"The report puts forth the figures and the figures were audited, we even did some audits. I'm thoroughly satisfied that our numbers are reliable. We tested and retested them," he said. "I wish someone that disagrees with the numbers could explain to me where we got it wrong."

He also states that the league can and will survive a cancelled season.

Levitt speaks

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
transplant99 said:
Interesting timing that this info comes out now, if nothing else.

Commenting on his report of last year..

He also states that the league can and will survive a cancelled season.

Levitt speaks

Of course he is going to say that. What do you expect him to say? "Yes, the owners did hire me, but I think there might be some flaws in my numbers."

Dysentary of words, constipation of thought.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
From when I read the report I thought he had made it pretty clear that they used the individual teams independent auditors for the information. In essence the Levitt team looked at those auditing and reporting procedures used by the teams, calibrated the results with typical models (i.e. NFL and NBA definitions) and found the numbers correct and reasonable. Any variations found were noit major.

Of course this isn't an issue. The players have accepted the Levitt numbers by using them in their own proposals.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
If this guy was as un-biased and neutral as people pretend he is, he shouldn't even be talking right now. He did his job- it's not his place to be piping up and giving his opinion right now.

Speculating on whether or not the NHL can survive a cancelled season is extremely unprofessional on his part.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The league and the PA need to form some sort of an audit commitee that can verify the business goings on of these teams and that might be the first step in an new era of trust between the two groups... they cannot continue to do business the way they have in the past...

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
BLONG7 said:
The league and the PA need to form some sort of an audit commitee that can verify the business goings on of these teams and that might be the first step in an new era of trust between the two groups... they cannot continue to do business the way they have in the past...

Well that is what was offered by the league numerous times...a jointly appointed auditor. It was repeatedly turned down by the PA.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Leaf Army said:
If this guy was as un-biased and neutral as people pretend he is, he shouldn't even be talking right now. He did his job- it's not his place to be piping up and giving his opinion right now.

Speculating on whether or not the NHL can survive a cancelled season is extremely unprofessional on his part.

What? He was asked a question on his numbers in a CBA battle all about those numbers. He has a right to say he believes his numbers and her's why. He was asked his business OPINION on whether or not the league could survive. He's not allowed to share his opinion? Yeesh.

JRgavemeaNTC

Jan 6, 2005
Raleigh
BLONG7 said:

The league needs to hire an independant audit firm (KPMG, PWC, E&Y). These firms are indepentant, in fact and appearance. They are required by law to be independant and can suffer HUGE consequences if found not to be (fines, legal worries, loss of reputational goodwill, etc). Levitt was in no way legally bound to be indepentant. Hire someone who is.

I assume that all the teams already have retained a big four firm to audit their numbers for fiduciary reasons, so they must trust these firms. I know that Carolina uses Deloitte, so get the firm as a whole to use one.

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
Of course he is going to say that. What do you expect him to say? "Yes, the owners did hire me, but I think there might be some flaws in my numbers."

Dysentary of words, constipation of thought.

The Pro-PA types have been screaming that this was in no way, shape or form an audit. Especially after the column from Russ Conway.

Well, this contradicts that stance...is that not significant? Does it fly in the face of YOUR position, so therefor you just dismiss it as "what else is he supposed to say"?

Good answer. :amazed:

SENSible1*

Takeo said:
Ignorance is bliss.

The owners have already clearly demonstrated their willingness to endure short-term losses to protect their investment.

Why do you feel they would abandon this well established pattern?

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
BLONG7 said:

I believe the PA has asked for this in some sort of way but Bettman tells them to refer to the Levitt report.

Brent Burns Beard