Prospect Info: Levi Aaltonen, RW, 5th round, 130th overall, 2019

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Aaltonen was THE prospect some years back from the 2000+ borns in Finland, before we even knew about Kakko. Currently, to me he seems a bit like Toni Rajala, very small but great skater. Time will tell!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
G8POQ2H.jpg

Are you on the left? Also, I just always pictured you looking like Ed Jovanovski.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
“Leevi Aaltonen (RW/LW, 5th rd, 130th overall, 2019)—I never saw this smaller forward play before this week, but boy was I impressed. Aaltonen is a speedster with excellent hands—he can apss the puck and can finish. Whether he can do it against older, bigger players on a small rink remains to be seen, but Aaltonen definitely has great offensive potential. He will get a chance to play against men in the Liiga this year. Do not expect him to play in North America until at least the fall of 2020.”

Treff: Rangers Development Camp Gave Rosy Glimpse of (Near) Future

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Leevi Aaltonen is already preparing for the new season in Finland, but he had time to sit down and answer some questions. Ths "Finnish Hagelin" according to some, I decided to ask about his most deadly weapon

U5qNNuL.png

Reactions: haveandare

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's going to need to do some serious work in the right room to be another Hagelin, who was a relentless forechecker. Aaltonen, a fart in the offensive zone can knock him off his skates. Decent skills, though. I don't really see him as a Hagelin--I think he can either score goals here or he goes back/stays home.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He's going to need to do some serious work in the right room to be another Hagelin, who was a relentless forechecker. Aaltonen, a fart in the offensive zone can knock him off his skates. Decent skills, though. I don't really see him as a Hagelin--I think he can either score goals here or he goes back/stays home.

Despite fans calling him the Finnish Hagelin, I don't really see the Hagelin-comparison aside from the speed. I think he's more a Pouliot-type player. Pouliot-lite.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Despite fans calling him the Finnish Hagelin, I don't really see the Hagelin-comparison aside from the speed. I think he's more a Pouliot-type player. Pouliot-lite.
He's a tiny, speedy playmaker. It's going to take a lot of dominoes falling properly for him to make it. I definitely understand the stylistic comparison to Pouliot, and Aaltonen probably plays harder--but there's still a 6-7 inch and 20-30 pound difference. I know the NHL is skewing smaller, but still, the amount of Johnny Gaudreau-sized guys that make it comprise like 1% of the Gaudreau-sized players.

I'm by no means writing him off. He's just a long shot.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He's a tiny, speedy playmaker. It's going to take a lot of dominoes falling properly for him to make it. I definitely understand the stylistic comparison to Pouliot, and Aaltonen probably plays harder--but there's still a 6-7 inch and 20-30 pound difference. I know the NHL is skewing smaller, but still, the amount of Johnny Gaudreau-sized guys that make it comprise like 1% of the Gaudreau-sized players.

Which most late round picks are. Hagelin, Fast, Lundqvist, Zidlicky, Stone, Datsyuk. It's easy to lose focus of the success rate when pointing out the success stories, but these were long shots. Aaltonen is probably 4 years away from making the NHL if he ever does. Who knows. Nobody expected Pajuniemi to have the season he had this year. Reunanen and Rykov have their breakout year last year. It would be a great gift to this fanbase if we can have another one, even if it is a small chance of that happening

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

That's how 5th rounders usually are

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That's how 5th rounders usually are
Understood. Hagelin was a sixth. I just don't want people to get unrealistic expectations seeing him called the "Finnish Hagelin" or anything. I was a huge fan of Hagelin from his freshman season, but guys like him are few and far between.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->