Prospect Info: Levi Aaltonen, RW, 5th round, 130th overall, 2019

ijuka

May 14, 2016
My opinion is that Aaltonen is the best, most explosive straight-line skater of the draft.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Looks like his skating alone gives him a chance at the NHL. For a 5th rounder, I take a player with a plus tool like that every time and bank on him rounding out his game.
Yes, skating and compete level.

My opinion is that in Finland he doesn't get to shine properly. His best asset by far is his skating, his ability to accelerate extremely fast and turn 180 degrees and gain speed in the opposite direction almost immediately, which isn't very well utilized in the Finnish game. He also can PK and I think that he isn't exclusively a top 6 guy. Rangers have been able to make very good use of a skating profile like this in the past with Grabner etc.

I don't think he's so good at utilizing his skating creatively with agility etc. in the way Hughes for example is, but to me Aaltonen's the best of this draft at specifically straight line skating and acceleration, as well as pure start&stop. And that's at a very special level IMO.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I actually found this old clip from the u-18 practice match vs USA:

Where he gets to the loose puck and... misses on the empty net. But still, the skating.

Jack Hughes's the one next to him. Doesn't seem to be trying but hey.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
"Aaltonen is very active on his feet, has excellent acceleration and can torch opponents with high-end speed, Future Considerations 2019"

"slick offensive play-maker … undersized but highly skilled … plays with his heart on his sleeve … excellent footwork … creative on the power, ISS Hockey 2017"

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Yes, skating and compete level.

My opinion is that in Finland he doesn't get to shine properly. His best asset by far is his skating, his ability to accelerate extremely fast and turn 180 degrees and gain speed in the opposite direction almost immediately, which isn't very well utilized in the Finnish game. He also can PK and I think that he isn't exclusively a top 6 guy. Rangers have been able to make very good use of a skating profile like this in the past with Grabner etc.

I don't think he's so good at utilizing his skating creatively with agility etc. in the way Hughes for example is, but to me Aaltonen's the best of this draft at specifically straight line skating and acceleration, as well as pure start&stop. And that's at a very special level IMO.
Fills a need we've had since Hags/Grabs.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Leevi Aalton was 31st in my ranking this year, love the kid, this is my write-up on him.

31. Leevi Aaltonen, LW, 5’9 155 lbs (LHS)

There is only one word to describe Leevi Aaltonen: Da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-dang. A.K.A the Finnish Woodpecker (Lat. Picadilus blanka hyacintus la sisulainius). If you ever tried to sleep in a wooden house when a woodpecker tried to make a hole in the wall you will understand how defenders feel when they face Leevi Aaltonen during games.

His skating is in some areas at the top of the draft. He has those super quick feets, gets going in no time and can really fly at top speed. He is relentless, stubborn, gritty and also smart on the ice, knows what to do with the puck when he gets it.

In the first round of a NHL draft, many players will not come close to the NHL. Many players will make it without making any kind of significant impact. Of course Aaltonen must put in a lot of work and really push things, but I believe that he will become a valuable top 9 winger. But still he will probably drop when the NHL teams make their selections in June, because is the upside there? How about his size? But when you look at the NHL, does Arvidsson have upside? How many goals have he scored, 30? Not many matches that. Carl Hagelin. I think it’s a bit backwards.

Comparable player in terms of style and impact (pick your poison): Reijo Routsalainen, Carl Hagelin or Victor Arvidsson

Got to say that our scouts are pretty good, got two of three of my favorites in this draft, just missed out on Jamieson Rees. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad