NFL: Le'Veon Bell continues holdout - will not report in 2018

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Why does what his teammates earn matter? Bell didn't sign the tender, so he has no obligation to report. Also, consider that Rodgers, Gurley, Donald, OBJ, and Mack all got paid huge contracts. Seeing what those guys got paid entrenched Bell in his position even more.

If I was on the Steelers' offensive line (read: the guys most responsible for clearing a path so that Bell can actually make a play), and I was already making a fraction of what he made and happy to do it because I love the game, and on the eve of the regular season I hear that he doesn't think $14+ million is enough so he's sitting on the sidelines crying for more money?

I'd be pretty pissed off too.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Bell is more than welcome to sit out for what he feels he deserves, but he's losing support by the day I reckon, both from teammates and the Steelers' fanbase.

It's a brutal situation for the Steelers' front office as well, as they know they may to just cut bait and let him walk. Let some other team focus on the headache he's currently causing, and bring back some serenity in the clubhouse for a change.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If I was on the Steelers' offensive line (read: the guys most responsible for clearing a path so that Bell can actually make a play), and I was already making a fraction of what he made and happy to do it because I love the game, and on the eve of the regular season I hear that he doesn't think $14+ million is enough so he's sitting on the sidelines crying for more money?

I'd be pretty pissed off too.

Maybe the linemen need to mind their own business about how much a teammate is making. If you've checked social media at all, you would find a lot of people who cover football think these guys are out of line for saying such.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Maybe the linemen need to mind their own business about how much a teammate is making. If you've checked social media at all, you would find a lot of people who cover football think these guys are out of line for saying such.

I'm pretty sure every time a prima-donna star athlete sits out and cries for more money, there's a detrimental effect in the locker room (you know, where the rest of his teammates who make less money but also want to actually win) are sitting and waiting for him to grow up.

So I'm not at all surprised that these tensions spill out into the media via one or two frustrated teammates.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I understand both sides on this one. Bell is taking a huge risk if he plays out this year, getting 400 touches without a long term deal.

If I was his teammate though, I'd still be pissed he's putting himself before the team. I know you have to do that sometimes, but I can see why it would upset his teammates who care more about winning a Super Bowl.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I'm pretty sure every time a prima-donna star athlete sits out and cries for more money, there's a detrimental effect in the locker room (you know, where the rest of his teammates who make less money but also want to actually win) are sitting and waiting for him to grow up.

So I'm not at all surprised that these tensions spill out into the media via one or two frustrated teammates.

Really? Don't recall the Rams players getting their panties in a bunch this year or last year in regards to Donald's contract dispute. And Donald actually WAS signed to a contract as opposed to Bell not being signed right now. Players usually don't criticize other players over contract disputes.

If the NFLPA was competently run, they'd tell Foster to zip it. Of course if they were competently run franchise tags wouldn't exist.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Really? Don't recall the Rams players getting their panties in a bunch this year or last year in regards to Donald's contract dispute. And Donald actually WAS signed to a contract as opposed to Bell not being signed right now. Players usually don't criticize other players over contract disputes.

If the NFLPA was competently run, they'd tell Foster to zip it. Of course if they were competently run franchise tags wouldn't exist.

Isn't Foster the Steelers' union rep? I think one of the O-Line guys who spoke up has that role as well. :laugh:

Still, though, it's a huge distraction. The team is trying to focus on competing and winning, and off to the side is Le'Veon Bell just throwing a tantrum because $14 million isn't enough money for him to suit up and play a game.

I hope the Steelers walk away, to be honest. It'll hurt them on the field but as I said earlier I'm willing to bet there are plenty of Steelers fans who are sick of Bell's crybaby act.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Isn't Foster the Steelers' union rep? I think one of the O-Line guys who spoke up has that role as well. :laugh:

Still, though, it's a huge distraction. The team is trying to focus on competing and winning, and off to the side is Le'Veon Bell just throwing a tantrum because $14 million isn't enough money for him to suit up and play a game.

I hope the Steelers walk away, to be honest. It'll hurt them on the field but as I said earlier I'm willing to bet there are plenty of Steelers fans who are sick of Bell's crybaby act.
Bell is thinking long term here.

Gurley has played 3 years of his rookie deal and got an extension that doesn’t kick in until after his 5th year team option. Bell is the age and experience that gurley will be when the extension begins. So gurley is protected if he were to get seriously hurt in the next season or two.

Bell has no guarantee. Yes, Bell has made something like $17 million between his rookie deal and last years tag. Add this years tag and he will be over $30 million.

Bell is banking on sacrificing half of this year’s tag money to hopefully ensure he gets a deal that provides him with $30 to $40 million guaranteed.

I get the OL frustrations. They do the grunt work and he gets the $ and glory. But they should think who is taking care of shazier? He’s covered this year because the team had picked up his 5th year option. But that’s likely it for him football wise.

Reactions: Shockmaster

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Players are always wanting their teammates to get money, it doesn't need to be said. If Bell said "I'm not coming" from the beginning players would have his back.

The only difference here is that Bell told guys he was coming and then didn't come. Then they founded out through media instead of from him.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Players are always wanting their teammates to get money, it doesn't need to be said. If Bell said "I'm not coming" from the beginning players would have his back.

The only difference here is that Bell told guys he was coming and then didn't come. Then they founded out through media instead of from him.

I thought he sent his agent to do the talking for him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes. I were a GM, I would want the best RB in the NFL on my team. The Steelers players are complaining and coaches are probably upset because they want that player too.
Well, the Steelers should not be surprised. If you are looking for a used car do you prefer one that has been driven 10k miles per year or 15k miles per year over the same period?

Bell knows the Steelers plan to just lease him and will run him into the ground like last year.

Bell might be over estimating what he can legitimately get fully guaranteed in the open market. Maybe he’ll get a slap in the face once he hits free agency.

Guess the Steelers didn’t anticipate that bell might forgo money and sit half the year to gamble that he’ll get a long term deal in 2019.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Colbert created the problem. This was a potential scenario that he could have traded by moving on earlier this summer. Nobody should feel bad for them being stuck in this situation.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Foster being the Union rep for the team makes it even stranger for him to publically criticize Bell.

Also, if it's a distraction then the players who openly criticized Bell made the distraction even bigger.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Well, the Steelers should not be surprised. If you are looking for a used car do you prefer one that has been driven 10k miles per year or 15k miles per year over the same period?

Bell knows the Steelers plan to just lease him and will run him into the ground like last year.

Bell might be over estimating what he can legitimately get fully guaranteed in the open market. Maybe he’ll get a slap in the face once he hits free agency.

Guess the Steelers didn’t anticipate that bell might forgo money and sit half the year to gamble that he’ll get a long term deal in 2019.

It sure seems like they plan to do what the Cowboys did with Murray. I can't really blame them for it either because it's set up perfectly for teams to go that route but I'm also not going to blame Bell for taking this approach.

Sure everyone would love Gurley on team but only one GM is lucky enough to have him

Gurley isn't even the best RB in his own division.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Foster being the Union rep for the team makes it even stranger for him to publically criticize Bell.

Also, if it's a distraction then the players who openly criticized Bell made the distraction even bigger.

It's not "strange". The players (at least Pouncey/Foster) feel lied to, that's why they are criticizing him. That's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->