NFL: Le'Veon Bell continues holdout - will not report in 2018

CRM 114

Mar 17, 2018
Bell was set to make what like 14M this year on the tag? Normally I am all for the players and what not, but he's being a little selfish. If he wants to be the highest paid player he needs to play every game.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bell was set to make what like 14M this year on the tag? Normally I am all for the players and what not, but he's being a little selfish. If he wants to be the highest paid player he needs to play every game.
He’s just looking at it long term.

Short term view, he’s made around what $17-$18 million so far in 5 years? Another $14 if he signs the tag. So up to $31 to $32 million in career earnings through 6 seasons. That’s pretty good money.

Long term, what’s a guy worth after 6 years and well over 1,900 touches? How much guaranteed money will he get?

Does sacrificing $8 million now so that he can save his body until 2019 and try to secure a gurley 4 year $57 million deal make more sense. How much of that $57 is fully guaranteed? Because once he signs he’s guaranteed the $14 million for the tag right? I’m not sure how good a trade off that is, but the Steelers are likely to run him into the ground just like they did last season. So I get his concern.

The OBJ contract had $42 million fully guaranteed and another $20 million injury guaranteed. So, it’s all in the details of the contract.

Honestly I really doubt he’d get a massive amount of guaranteed money. Likely 2 years of average salary would be guaranteed. Base salary of the first 2 years and his SB. At his wear and tear teams would be wary of guaranteeing much more than that.

If you look around the NFL how many starting RBs are on a big post rookie contract?

Freeman in ATL, McCoy in BUF, miller in HOU?
Majority of top backs are on rookie deals this season.
And then there would Bell on the tag.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
Some ignoramus took Bell in round 1 of our fantasy draft this year looool. Imagine how mad anyone is that took this guy but I support the holdout and can't believe that his own team-mates would be dissing upon him for this, it only benefits the players for these contract holdouts to get more money.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Some ignoramus took Bell in round 1 of our fantasy draft this year looool. Imagine how mad anyone is that took this guy but I support the holdout and can't believe that his own team-mates would be dissing upon him for this, it only benefits the players for these contract holdouts to get more money.
If you are an NFL owner you have to love hearing the OL go off on Bell. Cause it simply reinforces the sentiment that the players will never outlast the owners in the next CBA negotiations.

You had Donald and Mack reset the bar for DL from what Watt them Miller set.
Evans set a new bar for WR and OBJ surpassed it. Same with the QBs.

The RB position that has been the one not to get a spike. Most starters at RB are on rookie deals. If rbs continue to let themselves to be run into the ground and never secure a long term deal then it’s never going to change.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There was also a large void of talent at the RB position for a few years as well, at least in terms of elite guys. It's not just a spike with these current guys, it's just the talent is better. Bell, Gurley, Zeke, and DJ are amazing players who either have gotten paid or will get paid. Barkley and Fournette are on big rookie deals because they're talented.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
There was also a large void of talent at the RB position for a few years as well, at least in terms of elite guys. It's not just a spike with these current guys, it's just the talent is better. Bell, Gurley, Zeke, and DJ are amazing players who either have gotten paid or will get paid. Barkley and Fournette are on big rookie deals because they're talented.
You forgot J-How.

Reactions: Skeeterboi

CRM 114

Mar 17, 2018
I love how underrated Howard is. Just because he isn't flashy and catching screen passes doesn't mean he isn't a good back. Through two years, he's averages 1,217 yards/season and a healthy 4.61 YPC. That's on a John Fox offense running into stacked boxes.

For your reference here are the other players stats you mentioned through 2 years.
Zeke - 1307 yards/season and 4.63 YPC
Gurley - 995 yards/season and 3.92 YPC
Johnson - 910 yards/season and 4.35 YPC

To consider Howard not a great back is just lazy and ignorant on your part.

Reactions: VickAshley

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Aren’t salaries to draft picks slotted? So, it’s not because they are talented but because they we’re drafted high that they will be paid well on their rookie deals (maybe that’s what you meant by saying they are talented). 3rd pick is slotted to get a certain amount regardless of their position, be it QB, RB or CB. It’s the 5th year option that is position based.

Time will tell in the coming years which RB get paid coming off their rookie deals. DJ is up next, then zeke, then fournette, then Barkley. Gurley already got his.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Aren’t salaries to draft picks slotted? So, it’s not because they are talented but because they we’re drafted high that they will be paid well on their rookie deals (maybe that’s what you meant by saying they are talented). 3rd pick is slotted to get a certain amount regardless of their position, be it QB, RB or CB. It’s the 5th year option that is position based.

Time will tell in the coming years which RB get paid coming off their rookie deals. DJ is up next, then zeke, then fournette, then Barkley. Gurley already got his.

My poorly-worded point was that there was a lack of RB talent in the NFL which was why guys weren't getting paid. It carried over to the draft - guys weren't getting drafted high either. Teams pay talented players. The low pay reflected the talent, not just the position.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I love how underrated Howard is. Just because he isn't flashy and catching screen passes doesn't mean he isn't a good back. Through two years, he's averages 1,217 yards/season and a healthy 4.61 YPC. That's on a John Fox offense running into stacked boxes.

For your reference here are the other players stats you mentioned through 2 years.
Zeke - 1307 yards/season and 4.63 YPC
Gurley - 995 yards/season and 3.92 YPC
Johnson - 910 yards/season and 4.35 YPC

To consider Howard not a great back is just lazy and ignorant on your part.

I like Howard just fine, he's good. He's not a top four back in the NFL. What's the issue?

CRM 114

Mar 17, 2018
I like Howard just fine, he's good. He's not a top four back in the NFL. What's the issue?
I just wanted to let you know he isn't far behind, if at all, as those other guys. He might be the most underrated back in the league.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I just wanted to let you know he isn't far behind, if at all, as those other guys. He might be the most underrated back in the league.
I think for Howard to get into that top level conversation he’ll need to be included more in the passing game. 52 catches in 2 seasons is pretty low for a top level RB these days.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada

Yeah selfish is right - he should be thinking about all the fantasy teams he is impacting as a result of this circus!

CRM 114

Mar 17, 2018
I think for Howard to get into that top level conversation he’ll need to be included more in the passing game. 52 catches in 2 seasons is pretty low for a top level RB these days.
I suppose I can't disagree, but again I'll revert back to the offense he has been in. I think he is capable of catching more balls, Fox just didn't use him like that. He should have a big season.

CRM 114

Mar 17, 2018
Yeah selfish is right - he should be thinking about all the fantasy teams he is impacting as a result of this circus!
I was more talking about him hurting the Steelers SB chances, but sure fantasy too.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I suppose I can't disagree, but again I'll revert back to the offense he has been in. I think he is capable of catching more balls, Fox just didn't use him like that. He should have a big season.
Definitely on the OC to use him more in the passing attack. I think for today's RB, it's about yards from scrimmage rather than just pure rushing yards. Goal is for the RB to produce about 100 yards per game, however that is split between running and receiving doesn't matter.

For Bell, yes, it does hurt the Steelers but realistically, they are the favourite in their division. So, I don't doubt that they would make the playoffs without Bell. But, will they win enough games to grab a Bye for the playoffs?

At some point Bell will sign the Tag and report. He needs to get to free agency in March, which would then make the tag for a 3rd year insanely high so that the Steelers won't exercise that option. Then he can hit the open market to see what his value is. But, I do understand his concern about being used and then tossed aside after the season.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Rumors that he's going to report on Saturday, so as to not miss that first $850k game check. Would almost certainly be inactive for week 1.

CRM 114

Mar 17, 2018
Rumors that he's going to report on Saturday, so as to not miss that first $850k game check. Would almost certainly be inactive for week 1.
That's a really shitty thing to do. Basically says to his teammates he only cares about the money. He could have reported on Monday and played, but waits till Saturday. SAD!

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
They dropped the tag on him last season and did it again.People that don't think he should protect his future need to look no further than Bells own teammate Ryan Shazier.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad