Let's Watch... (1959/4/07) SCSF Game 7 - Toronto Maple Leafs at Boston Bruins

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
.... :laugh: yeah ya do. not hard to follow Mr. Farkas.... However..... @Fenway ?..... maybe you could expound upon how the live feed from a game goes from mobile to the station & network, and how from there at the time the game filmed on 16mm off a monitor & then distributed to the various stations that you listed in a post above which also features the old Kinescope. Uh?

Up until 1980 or so, feeds from the venue were using leased telco lines and to get a signal into or out of Canada a broadcaster had to use CN in Toronto and in the late 70's the CN Tower was built. Then stations started to use satellite delivery and later fiber optics but regulators in Canada made sure the CN Tower would not become a white elephant.

Stations buy blocks of time (by the hour ) and if a game is running late you have to call CN in Toronto to keep the line open but they are notorious for not answering the phone. As I showed above CBC lost the signal from LA while the Stanley Cup was being presented and CBC in desperation took Channel 2 in Buffalo off the air so viewers in Canada could see it.

Kinescopes like the one in this thread were far from perfect but luckily for us they exist.

The Museum of Broadcast Communications - Encyclopedia of Television - Kinescope

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This game also had a lengthy delay as Bruins goalie Harry Lumley took a puck in the mouth and had to be taken to a nearby hospital....

..... indeed so... and Harry's last hurrah in the NHL having split that season between Boston & Providence, the following season playing briefly for the Kingston Frontenacs of the EPHL & the WHL's Winnipeg Warriors. Lesser known is that Harry, originally from Owen Sound & who returned to the area joined the Collingwood OHA Sr Team, continuing to play from 61/62 through 62/63.. possibly into 63/64 as well. Records impossible to find but yes, have it on good authority. "Apple Cheeks" actually broke into the league at just 17, and over his 16yr career played for 5 of the then 6 teams. Originally Detroit property (who had actually signed him at 15), won Detroits' first in a string of Cups however injured, replaced by Sawchuk who wowed, Lumley dumped, sent packing to the abysmal Blackhawks, couple of years in the Windy City... then Toronto & so on & so on.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
..... indeed so... and Harry's last hurrah in the NHL having split that season between Boston & Providence, the following season playing briefly for the Kingston Frontenacs of the EPHL & the WHL's Winnipeg Warriors. Lesser known is that Harry, originally from Owen Sound & who returned to the area joined the Collingwood OHA Sr Team, continuing to play from 61/62 through 62/63.. possibly into 63/64 as well. Records impossible to find but yes, have it on good authority. "Apple Cheeks" actually broke into the league at just 17, and over his 16yr career played for 5 of the then 6 teams. Originally Detroit property (who had actually signed him at 15), won Detroits' first in a string of Cups however injured, replaced by Sawchuk who wowed, Lumley dumped, sent packing to the abysmal Blackhawks, couple of years in the Windy City... then Toronto & so on & so on.

@Killion What year did the NHL allow a backup goalie to be dressed and be on the bench? I wonder if this Lumley delay caused the NHL to do it to keep CBC happy.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
@Killion What year did the NHL allow a backup goalie to be dressed and be on the bench? I wonder if this Lumley delay caused the NHL to do it to keep CBC happy.

Midway through the 64/65 season... so not for several years. Generally there was a backup on hand though, dressing only in cased of extreme injuries.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Midway through the 64/65 season... so not for several years. Generally there was a backup on hand though, dressing only in cased of extreme injuries.

1964-65 season the two-goalie system became rule.

1964, Bob Champoux, emergency replacement for an injured Terry Sawchuk in the semi- finals accelerated the rule.

Sunday afternoon game, nationally televised in the USA and Canada.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
1964-65 season the two-goalie system became rule.

1964, Bob Champoux, emergency replacement for an injured Terry Sawchuk in the semi- finals accelerated the rule.

Sunday afternoon game, nationally televised in the USA and Canada.

Right. Dates mixed up a bit. Lumley played in all 7 games, Boston also having Don Simmons under contract, starting in roughly 28 games through the season, no record I can find of him playing for Springfield nor Providence in 58/59 so.... Simmons mustve been in civvies, on-site, game was in Boston.

Getting back to @Fenway and the 2 dressed goalie rule.... there actually was some concern, the issue discussed by the media & League in 59 over this issue when on March the 7th in a regular season game between Boston & Toronto at Maple Leaf Gardens, Harry Lumley unable to play with suspected food poisoning... Simmons did not travel with the team so unavailable forcing Boston to "borrow a goalie" from the Leafs organizational depth charts.....

Enter one Don Keenan, former St. Mikes Majors goalie who'd gone on to St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish Nova Scotia... where he'd been playing for 3yrs, returning to Toronto & about to study Engineering at UofT (also played for the UofT Blues the following season) while also being "House Goalie" for the Leafs, practices mainly, scrimmages, free ticket to sit in the stands & watch, emergency replacement if called upon... and in that game he was.... Boston losing 4-1.... but Don there being Awarded the games 3rd Star...

Reactions: Tarantula

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

@Killion Harry was still with the Bruins in 1959-60 as he played goal in the first Bruins game I ever went to.

The Bruins wore black sweaters that day as the game was on CBS.

upload_2018-9-9_13-48-14.png

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
@Killion Harry was still with the Bruins in 1959-60 as he played goal in the first Bruins game I ever went to.

View attachment 138627

What happens when someone goes off memory alone. 59/60 for the Broons as well. :sueme:
Gold pants gone thank God. You enjoy that game young man? :bruins .... vs? W/L/T?.... Film, photos?...

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What happens when someone goes off memory alone. 59/60 for the Broons as well. :sueme:
Gold pants gone thank God. You enjoy that game young man? :bruins .... vs? W/L/T?.... Film, photos?...

I guess I must have liked it, begged Dad to go to the next Saturday afternoon game a month later :)

upload_2018-9-9_15-1-46.png

The corner store on my street carried Hockey Pictorial and I started my collection.....which I still have :)

I miss neighborhood stores :cry:

6579_10200458766604417_912469693_n.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The corner store on my street carried Hockey Pictorial and I started my collection.....which I still have :)

I miss neighborhood stores :cry:

.... :laugh: what a wonderful looking "corner store". Bence. Hungarian name... Love the old Jag... or is that something else altogether?.... Three Aces. That be gone huh? Closed maybe 10yrs now. Long time late night pit stop after the pub.... Always amazed when someones able to retain hockey publications & so on from childhood. Good for you. Thats some fun stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: pie19 and Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
.... :laugh: what a wonderful looking "corner store". Bence. Hungarian name... Love the old Jag... or is that something else altogether?.... Three Aces. That be gone huh? Closed maybe 10yrs now. Long time late night pit stop after the pub.... Always amazed when someones able to retain hockey publications & so on from childhood. Good for you. Thats some fun stuff.

Harvard bought the land and leveled it

upload_2018-9-9_17-44-41.png

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@Killion Somebody on FB pointed out something odd about this Game 7

THERE WAS NO HANDSHAKE LINE :huh:

I have no idea when the tradition started but there is clear evidence that it was a custom way before 1959 - One of the most famous hockey photos ever proves that.

upload_2018-9-18_1-29-40.jpeg

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Goalie injured by a puck to the mouth. THERE'S a concept? Doesn't matter that these old timer's didn't shoot the puck as hard on average as today, they shot hard enough considering no mask. Goaltenders back then had to be insanely courageous?

Imagine getting cut like that and then having to go back out there - still without a mask?

Last edited:

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Boivin looked great! I think he played forward once in a while also - probably C1958 will know?

Also got to see 2 of my other all time favs in Mohns and Flaman. There's almost no highlight footage of them available. Have to get a whole game (or close to it) like this one to see them?

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina

View attachment 138627

What was the deal with Bronco Horvath I always wonder? How do you score 39 goals in the early '60's NHL and then can't stay in the league? He went to the minors and tore it up there too. Bucyk said that Bronco had the BEST wrist-shot he ever saw, and that's high praise coming from a guy who played in the league over 20 years. Horvath is sort of a mystery to me as never having seen him apart from some short clips...

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Boivin looked great! I think he played forward once in a while also - probably C1958 will know?

Also got to see 2 of my other all time favs in Mohns and Flaman. There's almost no highlight footage of them available. Have to get a whole game (or close to it) like this one to see them?

Yes Boivin played some forward with the Bruins.

Flaman and Mohns are in the annual SC hilite videos, 1957 and 1958 viewable on social media.

Reactions: SealsFan

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
What are your recollections of them besides the usual rundowns? Flaman was possibly the toughest SOB of the 50's but also a good defensive defenseman? Mohns was really unique in that he played D and forward equally well. Most don't know that he was a faster skater than even Bobby Hull (as Bobby himself would kid him about getting older and needing to slow down). He regretted not sticking with one position his whole career as he thought he might have been more highly regarded. He held the goal scoring record for defenseman for awhile (before you-know-who showed up :sarcasm: )

Any other thoughts?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
What are your recollections of them besides the usual rundowns? Flaman was possibly the toughest SOB of the 50's but also a good defensive defenseman? Mohns was really unique in that he played D and forward equally well. Most don't know that he was a faster skater than even Bobby Hull (as Bobby himself would kid him about getting older and needing to slow down). He regretted not sticking with one position his whole career as he thought he might have been more highly regarded. He held the goal scoring record for defenseman for awhile (before you-know-who showed up :sarcasm: )

Any other thoughts?

Doug Mohns, constant switching between forward and defence held him back with the Bruins. Fast, excellent shot. Trade-off was that it got him into the NHL sooner. Never had steady linemates or pairing partner. With Chicago playing regularly with Mikita you saw the delayed potential.

Faster than Bobby Hull? Perhaps but not a stronger, smarter or better skater. Specifically Chicago could transition to Hull between their blue line and the center red line much easier than to Mohns.

Fern Flaman. first appeared in the NHL during WWII. Skating held him back especially on the regulation rinks. Much more effective in Boston.

Not much of a shot, not a playmaker though reliable.

Basic strengths was the ability to play the big forwards - Howe, Beliveau, Olmstead, etc head-on. Henri Richard types gave him a hard time.

Tough but disciplined. Led the NHL in PIMs only once.

Reactions: SealsFan

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
What was the deal with Bronco Horvath I always wonder? How do you score 39 goals in the early '60's NHL and then can't stay in the league? He went to the minors and tore it up there too. Bucyk said that Bronco had the BEST wrist-shot he ever saw, and that's high praise coming from a guy who played in the league over 20 years. Horvath is sort of a mystery to me as never having seen him apart from some short clips...

Bronco was a big draw and steadying influence in Rochester, Leafs property, and with Imlach owning a piece of that club he & his Coach down there, Joe Crozier, they needed him... Bronco knew ir of course & was understandably bitter about it however what could he do? Leafs owned his rights, it was the 60's, Toronto winning Cups, real room on that Roster for a Goal Scoring Offensive Center.... too valuable to be reading away even into the initial Expansion of 67..... Toronto "Loaning" Bronco to Minnesota who was still quite capable in his late 30's. The North Stars tried to acquire his services full time however Imlach demanded $50,000 (a lathe sum back then) and 5 Players for his Contract and so..... in 1970, Horvath retired as a Rochester American.....

Bronco was owned & or played for all of the 06 Teams and ya, best remembered as the Center on the UKE Line in Boston. He once said (paraphrasing) "if I had played today, 80 games with Stasiuk & Bucyk I'd have scored 100 Goals easily"..... And therein gives you another clue as to why Bronco was bounced around so much..... Called a Spade a Spade. Not the most politically correct & woulod rub Coaches & Managers the wrong way at times. Very direct individual. This during an era of indentured servitude, dont rock the boat, sit dowm, shut up, do as your told wise ass..... Well, for many, no thanks. Bronco wasnt gunna drink the kool-aide. In Imlach & Crozier he met a right pair of Jacked up Martinettes who figured they were at that time the smartest men in the game, players disposable units to be used & sometimes abused.... Thats what happened to Bronco Horvath. His bad luck to wind up on the Leafs depth charts.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
How did the Bruins go from a decently competitive team in the mid-late 50s (2 Cup Final appearances, 2nd in '59) to basically no playoff for many years?

Bronco Horvath has that career year in '60, but they still missed the playoffs

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad