Let's talk Morin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Because he has no reason not to

I wouldnt say NO reason.

A 1st round pick having 1 NHL game under his belt heading into his Draft +5 season must have been extremely frustrating for him. Actually we know it has been because he said so himself after not making the opening night roster despite having a terrific camp.

Flyers send Samuel Morin to Phantoms - Philly

Had he been healthy this year he might have play 5 more NHL games at most because Hakstol thinks Manning is better.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wouldnt say NO reason.

A 1st round pick having 1 NHL game under his belt heading into his Draft +5 season must have been extremely frustrating for him. Actually we know it has been because he said so himself after not making the opening night roster despite having a terrific camp.

Flyers send Samuel Morin to Phantoms - Philly

Had he been healthy this year he might have play 5 more NHL games at most because Hakstol thinks Manning is better.

Well I assume Hextall has already told him he knows he was ready for the NHL and that he’d be back up first chance he got.

Which happened, but was ruined by Morin being hurt.

Clearly Hextall thinks he’s NHL ready, otherwise he wouldn’t have had him on the NHL roster this year. It’s the same as the Sanheim situation. Hakstols the idiot who wouldn’t use him.

If he was healthy this year he likely easily gets more than 5 games. Alt got 8 and clearly they thought Morin was better. He’s the kind of player Hakstol would fall in love with.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Well I assume Hextall has already told him he knows he was ready for the NHL and that he’d be back up first chance he got.

Which happened, but was ruined by Morin being hurt.

Clearly Hextall thinks he’s NHL ready, otherwise he wouldn’t have had him on the NHL roster this year. It’s the same as the Sanheim situation. Hakstols the idiot who wouldn’t use him.

If he was healthy this year he likely easily gets more than 5 games. Alt got 8 and clearly they thought Morin was better. He’s the kind of player Hakstol would fall in love with.

He was never playing over a healthy Meatpig so Morin might have gotten a total of 10 games in his Draft +5. Still not ideal and would totally understand if he was disenchanted with the organization.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He was never playing over a healthy Meatpig so Morin might have gotten a total of 10 games in his Draft +5. Still not ideal and would totally understand if he was disenchanted with the organization.
It’s not a Provorov situation where he was basically ready from the start. Morin needed those years to actually be ready to play in the NHL. This year is probably the first year where he was better off here than in the AHL. He really did need that development time.

If next year he’s still not up, then I could understand and him wanting out, but this year doesn’t justify that kind of mentality.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately, he may also end up the #7 behind MacDonald and Hagg and get scratched more nights than not.

I don’t know... he seems like the exact type of player Hakstol would fall in love with.

Big, strong, tough, doesn’t score much...

He’s what Hakstol thinks Hagg is.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think one issue that had Hextall concerned was his puck handling, there's less space in the NHL and if he has to keep the puck further from his body to handle it he's going to be stripped a lot. And he'd be handling the puck primarily in the D-zone, where turnovers are more dangerous. And of course, keep your head up so you see what's coming at you.

"Upon getting loaned back to the Phantoms earlier this month, Hextall did give Morin something concrete to focus on. He told him to keep his head up. Literally, not figuratively.
"Following the conversation, Morin noticed Hextall was right and has made adjustments."

Out of press box, Sam Morin thriving with Lehigh Valley Phantoms

Hextall also planned to bring up Morin and play him at some point in the sesaon:

“They’ve all shown signs of being close, ” Hextall said of Hagg, Morin, and Sanheim. “[They’ll be] playing certainly at times this year. I’m sure they’re all going to see games [with the Flyers]. Whether they’re up the whole year or not remains to be seen.”

G on LW seemed to be an experiment in September:

"It’ll be interesting. We’ll see how things shake out. It’s funny because he came up [through the minors as] a right wing the whole time and really transitioned to center in the NHL which is very difficult. But really once you get over our blue line it really doesn’t matter anymore what position you’re playing. Guys are all over the ice, criss-cross. So that part doesn’t matter. It takes a little bit of the heavy lifting off down in the defensive zone, frees him up a little bit more offensively. So we’ll see as we go along. I think we’ll certainly always use him in the face-off circle, even if he’s on the wing. He’s too valuable there for us. But we’ll see how it goes. But in my opinion G can play really any of the three positions.”

Ron Hextall compliments rookies, gives insight into his plans for the roster

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Id be pretty pissed off if i know for a fact i lost a roster spot to the likes of brandon manning just because him and the coach get weird under a snuggie together
Pretty sure being injured all year is what his frustration will be towards. That was the biggest roadblock between him and the NHL this year.

Reactions: Adtar02

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Morin was a RHD, he'd have had a starting spot.
But at LHD, he's behind Provorov and Sanheim for obvious reasons.
And on the third pair, who's your RHD? With Gudas you have two guys who can't move the puck, Hagg the same issue,
Manning out of position, MacDonald maybe next season.

Myers would work but he may not be ready next September, and they may want him with Sanheim.
Though Sanheim - (mean) Gudas and Morin - Myers would work.
Friedman is a good match (mobile RHD) but is a year away.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
We need Morin next year so badly. His presence alone will make the defense better; it's been a long time (Pronger?) since the Flyers had a defenseman other teams would actually be afraid of when they go into the corners or around the net.
We have big bad manning to keep them on their toes

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I do think finding a partner for Morin is going to be tricky. I don't think Gudas-Morin makes much sense. He kinda needs to be with 1 of Ghost, Sanheim or Provorov.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
I do think finding a partner for Morin is going to be tricky. I don't think Gudas-Morin makes much sense. He kinda needs to be with 1 of Ghost, Sanheim or Provorov.

Didn’t Sanheim and Morin play quite a bit together as a pairing in the AHL?

Provorov-Ghost
Morin-Sanheim
MacDonald- Gudas
Hagg

When Myers is ready then trade Gudas. When MacDonald is gone then Hagg/Myers becomes the pairing.

And that’s without factoring in guys like Friedman, Hogberg, etc in the future. Plus you have to assume we add another high end (1st round) defender this next draft or possibly next.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'm rooting for Friedman to make it but I'm not overly optimistic. It'd be perfect if we could have Morin-Friedman as our bottom pair, with Myers-Sanheim playing second pair.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Morin’s fate hangs on Myers development as far as I am concerned.

If he is not ready next season Hexy may try a hockey trade.

Upgrade Gudas for a top-4 RHD and let MacD play third pair right side?

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I know a rhd is important but I can see gudas getting traded at the draft and Morin replacing him. Myers will spend next year in the AHL and replace AMac.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It’s not a Provorov situation where he was basically ready from the start. Morin needed those years to actually be ready to play in the NHL. This year is probably the first year where he was better off here than in the AHL. He really did need that development time.

If next year he’s still not up, then I could understand and him wanting out, but this year doesn’t justify that kind of mentality.

He was one of the 6-7 best NHL ready dmen in the organization in 16-17 too. Probably plays a bunch in a different organization.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Morin’s fate hangs on Myers development as far as I am concerned.

If he is not ready next season Hexy may try a hockey trade.

Upgrade Gudas for a top-4 RHD and let MacD play third pair right side?

Simmonds + our 1st for Dougie Hamilton?

Then move Gudas for a 2nd + 3rd and use the two 2nds we now have to move back into late 1st

:naughty:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He was one of the 6-7 best NHL ready dmen in the organization in 16-17 too. Probably plays a bunch in a different organization.
But in the case of someone like Morin, being better than others isn’t automatically enough to bring him up.

For example, Sanheim was definitely ready to be in the NHL this year, so having him below inferior guys like Manning/Hagg/Mac was a problem. But the year before, it wasn’t a really problem because we knew there were advantages to having him in the AHL last year... even if he still probably would have outperformed some guys on the NHL roster.

It’s the same thing with Morin. Both he and Sanheim were basically on the same timetable to end up in the NHL. AHL was fine last year, NHL this year. If Morin was healthy all year and stuck in the AHL then it’s be a different story.

And the fact that Morin was drafted one year before Sanheim doesn’t really matter when considering he was also more raw and more of a long term project.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->