OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I'm in the payments space and know both Lightspeed and Nuvei well, partnered with one of them and have met Dax and Phil both.

Nuvei has good exposure to gaming payments FWIW.

Both companies are crazy expensive and I believe both will have a hard time growing into their valuation.

Reactions: QuebecPride

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I'm in the payments space and know both Lightspeed and Nuvei well, partnered with one of them and have met Dax and Phil both.

Nuvei has good exposure to gaming payments FWIW.

Both companies are crazy expensive and I believe both will have a hard time growing into their valuation.

For Nuvei specifically, I don't feel like they went publically for the right reasons (financing expansions, etc.). They literally went there so private investors could cash out.

Same for Roblox in the USA. Totally to cash out after profiting from all the growth in value in the private markets.

Lion is different in my mind because they are going publically for financing first of all. Of course, earnings multiples are huge in the Electric vehicle sector right now so it's another good reason to do it. But that company has a lot of growth ahead of it. Amazon took options to buy shares of the company when they ordered a fleet of vehicles. Lion is going public earlier in it's shelf life.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Wtf is going on with OMI? I lost hope at this point

They're still in beta state. I agree that the takeoff is not there. I'm sweating a little bit.

Hut8 (regular stock ) and OMI are both where I'm not comfortable.

Omi is little money I put in. More than initially.
My 2 concerns with OMI.
1. Burning doesn't affect the market. Only reduces the offer which is humongous. But it's the right direction. They have a buyback program which is not activated.

2. You can buy directly with gems. Since only 2.5% is burned, 97.5% is in cash and doesn't affect OMI's price.

3. Tough to acquire OMI. Small exchange exposures. Binance or another big exchange should be a good test

It's a long term move. But seeing it at .006 is sad.

Reactions: dm1371

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Anybody know why Apple hasn't responded to great earnings this week?

Those results were already priced in. Stock was 70 bucks 12 months ago with P/E around 18. Now 130 P/E 30.

Look at Shopify, 1B in profit for the quarter and they are trading close to pre earning reports. Everything is crazy expensive right now. I'm sitting on a stack of cash and it's impossible to find any value. Energy and REITs maybe but they have been on a tear since late last year.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
i only bought a few bucks worth when it was still under 1800, looks like I should have just bought that instead of crap like CCIV, ADXS, FBIO.

Im waiting for a dip to buy another one. I mean overall its still a good time to buy, like 95% of people agree Eth will reack 10k USD before 2022.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes, ETH and BTC are sure bets, well as much certainty as you can get for income save actually working.

Eth will 3x and BTC 1.5 in the near future, I suspect BTC goes 10x after a bunch of cycles (years).

Im all in on them, more or less. 25%/15%/10%/25%/25

Btc/etc/alt/stock/cash. Sadly Ive been on a student salary for the past 2 years, but its better than nothing, amirite?

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
So 2 weeks ago, I convinced my kids (5 and 7) to invest their piggy bank $ into BTC.

They weren't impressed seeing their cash eaten by the ATM and rewarded by a piece of paper :)

Bought in at 55k. The day after it crashed down to low 50.
managed to lower their avg.

I pay them at least 1% monthly interest paid weekly.

Reactions: QuebecPride

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Much easier then that, you just buy the SP500 via an index fund or ETF.

Vanguard ETF Profile | Vanguard

15% average return over the past 11 years, 3bps fees.

I'd actually recommend broader diversification - 3 or 4 ETFs that over exposure to global and Canadian equities. But really, anyone that simply buys the SP500 via an ETF and can hold through the bad times will outproduce 98% of stock pickers, including large institutional investors.

More reading:

Warren Buffett beat the hedge funds. Here's how

For those that want 100% into stocks and want a one-ETF diversified portfolio, I suggest VGRO. A bit higher in fees (0.25%) than the vanilla S&P 500 Vanguard ETF, but you get international diversification, small/mid caps, emerging markets, etc.

Those that want a little less exposure to stocks and a bit of bonds, can do a mix of VEQT (Vanguard Equity) and VAB (Vanguard Aggregate Bonds).

VBAL has a 60/40 proportion.

More info on that here...

https://cdn.canadiancouchpotato.com...CP-Model-Portfolios-ETFs-Vanguard-Dec2020.pdf

Reactions: Ozmodiar

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Lots of ways to build an ETF stack. I currently hold HXS, ZCM, HEF, HXT, ZMU, ZHY and HCRE in my RRSP.

In retrospect, would have not had so much bond exposure but that may pay off at some point, at minimum should have some downside protection in the next correction.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
For those that want 100% into stocks and want a one-ETF diversified portfolio, I suggest VGRO. A bit higher in fees (0.25%) than the vanilla S&P 500 Vanguard ETF, but you get international diversification, small/mid caps, emerging markets, etc. ...
VTI is the way to go. It has every US stock in it (over 3600) and the fee is .03%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad