OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
I have a question for you experts. I know jack shit about investments. I recently tranfered my pension fund from my former employer to my new one. Someone from my former employer explained to me that there was a surplus of 27k$ that they would send me in cash. Problem is I don't know what to do with it. I don't want to buy boring REER or anything like that, I've think I've got enough. Any suggestions on what I could do with that money in term of investments ? I'm willing to take some risks..

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I have a question for you experts. I know jack shit about investments. I recently tranfered my pension fund from my former employer to my new one. Someone from my former employer explained to me that there was a surplus of 27k$ that they would send me in cash. Problem is I don't know what to do with it. I don't want to buy boring REER or anything like that, I've think I've got enough. Any suggestions on what I could do with that money in term of investments ? I'm willing to take some risks..

REER/CELI (RRSP /TFSA) are only tools
it's not "boring". you can buy TSLA with RRSP or TFSA or non registered.
depends on what your plan to do with that money and when you need it.

crypto. there is high volatility to it.
if not there is growth stocks.

Reactions: George Lebay

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

The surplus could be taxable, you might want to put it in REER (RRSP) to reduce that tax amount.

Here's a good place to start.

Getting Started | Canadian Couch Potato

Your portfolio should be at least 80% boring index ETFs, ideally 90%. I use the remaining 10% as a release valve for the risky/fun stuff, but at least I know that most of my investments will do well.

You should probably open an account at a discount broker. Then you'll be able to decide what you invest in.

The 2021 Globe and Mail online brokerage ranking: Who’s best for investing ... and answering the phone

As far as willing to take risks and the not boring part. You can now invest in bitcoin, ethereum and such via ETFs. I would not venture to have more than 5% in cryptos (I currently have ~2.5%, mostly in bitcoin). Personnaly I invest in a few funky ETFs (HERO for videogames, ARB for a long/short fund in SPACs, etc.).

Investing in single stocks is fun, but it's really hard. Personally, not many Canadian Companies currently excite me to the point of investing, and I don't want to get screwed in the exchange rates to invest in the US.

One local company that excited me (Lion Électrique), is going public in the NASDAQ I believe.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
The surplus could be taxable, you might want to put it in REER (RRSP) to reduce that tax amount.

Your portfolio should be at least 80% boring index ETFs, ideally 90%. I use the remaining 10% as a release valve for the risky/fun stuff, but at least I know that most of my investments will do well.

You should probably open an account at a discount broker. Then you'll be able to decide what you invest in.

The 2021 Globe and Mail online brokerage ranking: Who’s best for investing ... and answering the phone

As far as willing to take risks and the not boring part. You can now invest in bitcoin, ethereum and such via ETFs. I would not venture to have more than 5% in cryptos (I currently have ~2.5%, mostly in bitcoin). Personnaly I invest in a few funky ETFs (HERO for videogames, ARB for a long/short fund in SPACs, etc.).

Investing in single stocks is fun, but it's really hard. Personally, not many Canadian Companies currently excite me to the point of investing, and I don't want to get screwed in the exchange rates to invest in the US.

One local company that excited me (Lion Électrique), is going public in the NASDAQ I believe.
Lion is already public through NGA warrants and the ticker is changing to LEV any day now. Will be on both NASDAQ and TSX.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
What did you go into Berskire Hathaway or something? It has quite a diverse portfolio. Get some railroad, banks, tech companies

Much easier then that, you just buy the SP500 via an index fund or ETF.

Vanguard ETF Profile | Vanguard

15% average return over the past 11 years, 3bps fees.

I'd actually recommend broader diversification - 3 or 4 ETFs that over exposure to global and Canadian equities. But really, anyone that simply buys the SP500 via an ETF and can hold through the bad times will outproduce 98% of stock pickers, including large institutional investors.

More reading:

Warren Buffett beat the hedge funds. Here's how

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Last edited:

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

We are in the midst, near peak of an intense asset bubble. Most anything you buy today will be overbought and expensive relative to historical. My suggestion would be to put the money into a ROBO advisor like Wealthbar or Wealthsimple, choose one of their aggressive portfolios, and see how the markets do. Shorter - you will not be able to stock pick and beat the markets so buy an ETF or stack of ETF through a ROBO. That 27K will double every 9 years @ 8% so in 18 years that will be over 100K and in 27 200K . Not sexy but if you try and pick stocks or more risky assets I'd bet you 27K you lost a good chunk of that money pretty quick.

Reactions: George Lebay

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
just made a bunch of small moves today,

started a new position in - ETON, MNMD

sold out of - FBIO, VZ, GRWG, SNDL (though still have a few July calls)

trimmed - ADXS, MSOS, SLV

added to - PSTH, LOGI, LAZ, FBHS, ITW​

Reactions: llamateizer

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I live in a small community in Nova Scotia of about 1,000 people. Right on the ocean. Recently, we had a spike in real estate prices also. Mostly by people from Ontario selling their homes and buying same house much cheaper down here. Out walking other day, passed new guy in neighborhood by his house. He said he sold out for over a million in Toronto bought same house here for 200k. Pocketed a million. He was about 55-60 I would say. Said his son is looking to do the same and buy a home here
Where’s that? (County, if you don’t want to be specific)

considering something like that, though not with primary residence.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Again on leveraging stocks: You need to be able to handle that volatility.

Screenshot-2021-04-28-095311-1.jpg

Stock Market Returns Are Anything But Average

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Again on leveraging stocks: You need to be able to handle that volatility.

Stock Market Returns Are Anything But Average

That's a great chart and reinforces that if you can handle the down years, the up years more then make up for it. 60% up years and the ups are higher percentage wise then the lows. Look at the rebound from 2007 - if you held you were back in the money late 2009 and it was mostly bull run until 2020. If you held through Covid, you are way up. The key is being able to look away when things are bad, or even better push more money in.

No reason the average investor can't do well in the markets. Buffet beat a actively managed hedge fund with a passive ETF. Buy the SP500, make regular contributions. keep 5-10% cash on hand to push in when markets weaken, and you should do 8-10% over the long haul.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Much easier then that, you just buy the SP500 via an index fund or ETF.

Vanguard ETF Profile | Vanguard

15% average return over the past 11 years, 3bps fees.

I'd actually recommend broader diversification - 3 or 4 ETFs that over exposure to global and Canadian equities. But really, anyone that simply buys the SP500 via an ETF and can hold through the bad times will outproduce 98% of stock pickers, including large institutional investors.

More reading:

Warren Buffett beat the hedge funds. Here's how
I may put some into it. I have a GIC coming due end of May. Been locked in for 2.5 years. Around 27-28k. Thinking about putting that into VOO.

Can't be much there. Have to pay income tax, and some kind of fee on it.

Reactions: japhi

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

You're okay with risk? Longer term, Nuvei and Lightspeed are two Montreal companies that I think are really good. I invested in Shopify a few years back and the returns were like 8x. E-Commerce is not going anywhere. Those stocks are expensive though...

And be prepared for volatility. If you can't stomach it, then it's not for you. It can swing wildly. Esp with bond yields rising.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I have a list of upcoming growth stocks that I usually throw new found money at in the hope that at least one of them will be a ten banger or more. I look at the technology first and then the management team that can grow the company and bring the tech to market. They're not often well known and are often pre-revenue. Enbridge will get you a 7% dividend and could grow 10% this year. That's terrific and is great in my RRSP. But I like to find diamonds in the rough like EXRO, ETMC, DFLY, BEER, VMC... all using exciting technology.

Some have terrific DD pages like this one from shareholders to explain the tech:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
You're okay with risk? Longer term, Nuvei and Lightspeed are two Montreal companies that I think are really good. I invested in Shopify a few years back and the returns were like 8x. E-Commerce is not going anywhere. Those stocks are expensive though...

And be prepared for volatility. If you can't stomach it, then it's not for you. It can swing wildly. Esp with bond yields rising.

I have Lightspeed via QXM, and I expect Nuvei to join that index soon. But I'm not sure I'd invest directly in both.

The owners of Nuvei really cashed in by selling shares when they went public, which is something I usually don't like. But it's an interesting Fintech, I agree.

Shopify was a great investment indeed. It is now so expensive lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad