OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
How do you value it at 150$? Discounted cash flows? P/E multiple? I'm curious.
I’ll do a detailed post on why I think gme is a 150$ stock this weekend. I got into gme as a value bet.

The squeeze is just a bonus now. The shorts have covered they said. Not a f***ing chance have they covered. Never had any intent of ever covering, they didn’t account for millions of retail investors doing a simple strategy of buy and hodl. We own the float multiple times over.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Also, I wanted to mention that I'm not a noob when it comes to investing, I was just looking at some insights others might have, companies and sectors I may not have been considering. But everyone here seems to be talking high risk, quick money gambles.
Bitcoin is not a high risk quick money scheme for me. It’s a long term hold position. Keep dcaing, forget about the price, zoom out and check back in in 10 years.

Reactions: llamateizer

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
That's short term. If your timeline is 2-3 years, your focus should be on preservation, not appreciation. A simple high interest savings account is probably your best bet.

Investing in individual stocks with that kind of timeline is gambling (unless maybe you're a pro).

I dont agree. Put your money in GAFAM, banks, utilities, etc. Putting money at 1-2-3% is loosing money in my opinion.

Canadian banks are now at their ATH, so you can wait a drop or just buy some as the earnings are this week or next week for the majority. Majority of the analysts (and TD who had their good earnings released this morning) are all positive toward canadian bank earnings.

For long term growth stock (let's say a minimum of 3-4-5 years), I really like Lion as QuebecPride said. Also think that sport bets will grow immensely. Also bought some Bitfarms recently with the dip of the bitcoin. They are a top 5 in mining I think in the world. They will become profitable in the near future. However, if you are beginning to build your portfolio, I wouldnt invest in these at first. I would go with solid, profitable compagnies first or index funds. Then, growth stock would represent lets say 20-30% of my portfolio.

I also think that green energy has a lot of potential. Fidelity launched new climate funds. I think it will be the trend in the next years.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I dont agree. Put your money in GAFAM, banks, utilities, etc. Putting money at 1-2-3% is loosing money in my opinion.

Canadian banks are now at their ATH, so you can wait a drop or just buy some as the earnings are this week or next week for the majority. Majority of the analysts (and TD who had their good earnings released this morning) are all positive toward canadian bank earnings.

For long term growth stock (let's say a minimum of 3-4-5 years), I really like Lion as QuebecPride said. Also think that sport bets will grow immensely. Also bought some Bitfarms recently with the dip of the bitcoin. They are a top 5 in mining I think in the world. They will become profitable in the near future. However, if you are beginning to build your portfolio, I wouldnt invest in these at first. I would go with solid, profitable compagnies first or index funds. Then, growth stock would represent lets say 20-30% of my portfolio.

I also think that green energy has a lot of potential. Fidelity launched new climate funds. I think it will be the trend in the next years.

YESSIR!

Also, good call on the climate funds ETF. I am making sure to have a good exposure to clean energy for the coming years. I think it will be a prominent player for years to come

Reactions: Addik04

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I bought the dip like a mad man on the profit I sold before the dip. LINK and ADA are back up now, good ass money.

Polygone had the best dip. Went from (in CAD) 2.67 when i sold (missed out on selling at 3.10). Went back down to 1.00, put in back all the money I made a bit later at 1.31 and sold yesterday at 2.70. Waiting for it to go down again. It's at 2.20 now.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If it goes down I can just decline my call and loss the deposit

yes, if it goes down it will expire worthless and you lose whatever you spent on it. If it doesn't drop too much you can usually sell to close the position at a considerable loss but not 100% loss depending on how far out the calls are vs how close the strike price is. I trade naked calls for a living so I can answer most questions, just be very careful as options can be a very tough way to make money.

You can also do a put call spread, it will reduce your profit but also reduces your risk. It's a bit more involved though.

Reactions: KFlint

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
yes, if it goes down it will expire worthless and you lose whatever you spent on it. If it doesn't drop too much you can usually sell to close the position at a considerable loss but not 100% loss depending on how far out the calls are vs how close the strike price is. I trade naked calls for a living so I can answer most questions, just be very careful as options can be a very tough way to make money.

You can also do a put call spread, it will reduce your profit but also reduces your risk. It's a bit more involved though.
If I buy AMC when it opens up how do I use a Put option?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If I buy AMC when it opens up how do I use a Put option?

what are you looking to do, you can open a put position, you can write a put position (I don't do that so you would need to ask someone else). Then you need to pick your strike price and date.

On Friday someone was buying up the June 18th 20 and 15 puts, over 30K on each the 20's were going for 3.65, the 15s for 1.38 so 1 contract which equals 100 shares would cost 365 or 138 US dollars (as I only trade on US markets) plus commission.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I had my write up just about complete on my bull argument for gme and my phone refreshed and everything I wrote is gone ffs. It took me over an hour to write it. Any way to get it back and has this happened to anyone else before?

So pissed off right now. Unreal, can’t believe that just happened.

I will take the time to do it again, but it won’t be tonight.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I had my write up just about complete on my bull argument for gme and my phone refreshed and everything I wrote is gone ffs. It took me over an hour to write it. Any way to get it back and has this happened to anyone else before?

So pissed off right now. Unreal, can’t believe that just happened.

I will take the time to do it again, but it won’t be tonight.

Write it on a .doc file then copy paste it haha.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Write it on a .doc file then copy paste it haha.
That will be what I do next time. I’ve had this happen once or twice before in just general conversation, but not very often. I don’t know why it happens. Ever happen to you? Wondering if I have some sort of refresh setting or some shit set here I don’t know about?

I was on a roll ffs.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
what are you looking to do, you can open a put position, you can write a put position (I don't do that so you would need to ask someone else). Then you need to pick your strike price and date.

On Friday someone was buying up the June 18th 20 and 15 puts, over 30K on each the 20's were going for 3.65, the 15s for 1.38 so 1 contract which equals 100 shares would cost 365 or 138 US dollars (as I only trade on US markets) plus commission.
Sounds like I would be better off call option

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
That will be what I do next time. I’ve had this happen once or twice before in just general conversation, but not very often. I don’t know why it happens. Ever happen to you? Wondering if I have some sort of refresh setting or some shit set here I don’t know about?

I was on a roll ffs.
Yeah happens to me all the time, even not writing a post. Itll refresh the page I am on for no reason.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

I was on a roll ffs.

I am usually on a PC, so it's a lot more user friendly and I can recuperate what I've written most of the time. Mobile is not my thing.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Sounds like I would be better off call option
I believe the rapid movement on AMC is very similar to gme where the price increase was largely related to t+21 ftds cycles and a bit of FOMO on retail buying in thinking the squeeze was on its way. I suspect this will retrace a bit back. I wouldn’t play the option game here if I were you. I would just wait for a dip and buy shares, but that’s just me.

Reactions: montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->