OT: Lets talk about stocks (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
So is this stocks thread only about quick money and fast gains, or is anyone gonna offer advise on longer term stock options with moderate risk?

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Friend of mine who has been telling me to buy BTC since 17,000 posted this:

"Buy the Dip, ***AVERAGE IN over time***, and HODL.
What direction do you think Bitcoin goes when it is incorporated into Apple Pay?
What direction do you think Bitcoin goes when a US ETF is approved?
There is A LOT of runway ahead...

190426602_10165298039655344_2387535430561441921_n.jpg

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
What do you guys recommend for life insurance?

Term insurance (it's cheaper), go via a broker, not a guy who sells only for one company. Review your coverage every 5 years or everytime there's a major change (job, new house/country house, kids, divorce/breakup).

Ideally you cover your debts (mortgages), and if you have kids, you need to leave something for the expenses your other half will have to provide alone.

If you have a business, you need coverage for that as well, so if you die your business partner is the benficiary and he receives the amount necessary to buy you out.

My advice, don't buy into the bullshit when they say insurance is a form of investment. You need to be f***ing rich to 'invest' in a insurance policy. Fill up your RRSP/RESP/TFSA or 401K/429/ Roth IRA to the rim before 'investing' in an insurance.

Reactions: Addik04

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Vanguard index funds. Put 5-10% of your income in there and check back in twenty five years.

I'll second that. If you can put at least 10% of your revenues aside every year, you'll be better off than most. When your salary increases or you receive a bonus, make sure to increase your contributions. Make them automatic so you don't forget.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Also, I wanted to mention that I'm not a noob when it comes to investing, I was just looking at some insights others might have, companies and sectors I may not have been considering. But everyone here seems to be talking high risk, quick money gambles.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I meant medium term, but wrote long term. I'm talking 2-3 years.

Lion is a good bet (LEV on TSX or Nasdaq). A Desjardins analyst said this week he expects it go to 40$ USD by 2026 (it's currently below 20$ USD). I expect highs and lows as it will be correlated with Tesla due to the EV nature of the company, but lots of growth to be had.

You can take a look at airlines, or infrastructure companies/funds. But those are quite volatile (I believe you're not a big fan of that), especially the former, but they're probably good buys as they're rather cheaper than what they were a year + ago.

I expect travel to go through the roof, although mostly in-between rich countries at first as we're the ones vaccinated. Infrastructure, you get the boost from travel (airports, ports, etc.) and you can also regain with the Oil industry as it includes pipeline (also volatile). Over the long term, infra has less risk than the stock market per unit of return, but that's maybe over 7-10 years.

Banks are probably pretty good bets. You can't go wrong with RBC, BMO, Scotia or TD. High dividends, pretty good returns. The stocks go with the economy though, so if there's a recession, expect a drawdown. Two financial companies that I like: Fairfax (deemed Canada's Berkshire Hathaway) and Brookfield.

If you're into video games, I'm really bullish on that sector, I suggest HERO or any other video game ETF.

You should have most of your money in boring index funds (Vanguard), but you also should have a small portion as a fun portfolio (say 10%). It's a nice emotional valve and you can try out ideas with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Lion is a good bet (LEV on TSX or Nasdaq). A Desjardins analyst said this week he expects it go to 40$ USD by 2026 (it's currently below 20$ USD). I expect highs and lows as it will be correlated with Tesla due to the EV nature of the company, but lots of growth to be had.

You can take a look at airlines, or infrastructure companies/funds. But those are quite volatile (I believe you're not a big fan of that), especially the former, but they're probably good buys as they're rather cheaper than what they were a year + ago.

I expect travel to go through the roof, although mostly in-between rich countries at first as we're the ones vaccinated. Infrastructure, you get the boost from travel (airports, ports, etc.) and you can also regain with the Oil industry as it includes pipeline (also volatile). Over the long term, infra has less risk and than the stock market per unit of return, but that's maybe over 7-10 years.

Banks are probably pretty good bets. You can't go wrong with RBC, BMO, Scotia or TD. High dividends, pretty good returns. The stocks go with the economy though, so if there's a recession, expect a drawdown. Two financial companies that I like: Fairfax (deemed Canada's Berkshire Hathaway) and Brookfield.

If you're into video games, I'm really bullish on that sector, I suggest HERO or any other video game ETF.

You should have most of your money in boring index funds (Vanguard), but you should probably have a small portion as a fun portfolio (say 10%). It's a nice emotional valve and you can try out ideas with that.
I have mostly tech sector and some finance. I got into GOOG, AMZN, PYPL, MA, MSFT, V like 5 years ago and they've done super well. As you can see, it's very tech heavy so was looking to diversify a little more. I technically could add more risk since I'm fairly safe.

I appreciate the recommendations very much!

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Also, I wanted to mention that I'm not a noob when it comes to investing, I was just looking at some insights others might have, companies and sectors I may not have been considering. But everyone here seems to be talking high risk, quick money gambles.

I believe there's both on here, day traders and long term buy and hold people. I chat about the stuff I invest in for fun, but 90% of my investments is in boring stuff. I have sold out a position only once in my lifetime (Bonds in February), so I'm the polar opposite of a day-trader :laugh:.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I believe there's both on here, day traders and long term buy and hold people. I chat about the stuff I invest in for fun, but 90% of my investments is in boring stuff. I have sold out a position only once in my lifetime (Bonds in February), so I'm the polar opposite of a day-trader :laugh:.
I got into WEED early on when it was still CGC.

I had bought it at like $4 and sold at $18. I'm a very conservative investor, so didn't have much in it. But man, I'm kicking myself for investing very little in that and then selling it early LOL!

It hasn't done much in a long while, but those early days were wild. It's probably the riskiest I've gotten.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I got into WEED early on when it was still CGC.

I had bought it at like $4 and sold at $18. I'm a very conservative investor, so didn't have much in it. But man, I'm kicking myself for investing very little in that and then selling it early LOL!

It hasn't done much in a long while, but those early days were wild. It's probably the riskiest I've gotten.

Yup, the weed companies were quite the ride. I was not involved, but many of my classmates were, they also made good bucks in there. It felt too risky for me. Obviously I was wrong on the outcome, but no regrets since it crashed pretty quickly as well. You had to sell at the right moment and some stayed in for too long.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So is this stocks thread only about quick money and fast gains, or is anyone gonna offer advise on longer term stock options with moderate risk?
I like tech stocks. Particularly the e-commerce portion. I invested in Shopify a few years back and have been handsomely rewarded. I'm hopeful that similar companies like lightspeed and nuvei (both Montreal companies btw) will see good long term returns. Their revenues are growing pretty aggressively.

Unfortunately, growth stocks have been a little sluggish lately due to inflation concerns. That will limit returns and risks in the short term but I think over the long haul, those companies will be winners.

Also, I'd watch the Canadian dollar for the next little while. Seems to be on quite the run and it will probably keep going up for a while. If it does, at that point you might want to look into investing into American companies because if you invest while the Canadian dollar is high, you'll reap the exchange reward down the road when it's lesser. So you can get a double bump there. Personally, I like Microsoft. Azure is growing at like 50% and it's a license to print money. It also comes with a small dividend as well.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Air Canada. Said it last week and it’s up 6% since. I expect it to go higher this summer and as operations and cash flow improve back to over 40$/share within 2 years.

Last edited:

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010

That's short term. If your timeline is 2-3 years, your focus should be on preservation, not appreciation. A simple high interest savings account is probably your best bet.

Investing in individual stocks with that kind of timeline is gambling (unless maybe you're a pro).

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
That's short term. If your timeline is 2-3 years, your focus should be on preservation, not appreciation. A simple high interest savings account is probably your best bet.

Investing in individual stocks with that kind of timeline is gambling (unless maybe you're a pro).

Short, medium and long term are all relative measures. For somebody long term could be 1 year, believe it or not. That's why I asked for him to be more precise ;)

But we don't know what his plan is with the money in 3 years, if it's to buy a house then yes he's better off in a savings account. But if it's just to buy other stocks then it's different.

Reactions: Igoraj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad