OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Watched Solo last night, apt name as the wife left 30 mins in and the kids fell asleep shortly after so finished it all by me onesy

Saddest thing is they left it open to a sequel

That’s 3 strikes in a row for the franchise, maybe a foul tip on Rogue One but swings and misses on the last 2

Reactions: DAChampion

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Iron Fist and Luke Cage cancelled by Marvel/Netflix Boom

Someone said that maybe they intend to have a team-up series with the two characters or Disney transfering these characters to their streaming service.

Either way, I thought they were the weakess series. I actually think Iron Fist should switch with Doctor Strange. I think IF would work better as an action-fest special effect epic(mystical dragons, etc...and hire Jaime Lannister for the lead role) while I have zero interest in Doctor Strange movies but would love a Doctor Strange Tv series very dark and more mystery-based, less big effects. Making it very disturbing. They could hire the Penny Dreadful creator to do this.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Watched Solo last night, apt name as the wife left 30 mins in and the kids fell asleep shortly after so finished it all by me onesy

That’s 3 strikes in a row for the franchise, maybe a foul tip on Rogue One but swings and misses on the last 2

Someone told me that the main actor who plays Solo signed for 3 movies ._.

Reactions: Runner77

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Finished the first season of Unforgotten, very good, excellent acting by British actors that look like people in general. Not a bunch of ex models that act like wood. Very emotional, both wife and myself were red eyed at times. We did have a lot of Moscow Mules, though, which might be why.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Tried to watch River as per recommendation from GoodKiwi, first episode was quite meh for me. Could be because I'm sick as a dog, but going to try the next episode regardless.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tried to watch River as per recommendation from GoodKiwi, first episode was quite meh for me. Could be because I'm sick as a dog, but going to try the next episode regardless.

It's probably GoodKiwi's favorite series.

Like you, I was never quite able to get into it. My favorite part and character was the Canadian serial killer who is haunting River in his visions.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I'm eternally grateful to sheed for telling me about Unforgotten, wife and myself have been binge watching it. Such great sad stories.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Iron Fist and Luke Cage cancelled by Marvel/Netflix Boom

Someone said that maybe they intend to have a team-up series with the two characters or Disney transfering these characters to their streaming service.

Either way, I thought they were the weakess series. I actually think Iron Fist should switch with Doctor Strange. I think IF would work better as an action-fest special effect epic(mystical dragons, etc...and hire Jaime Lannister for the lead role) while I have zero interest in Doctor Strange movies but would love a Doctor Strange Tv series very dark and more mystery-based, less big effects. Making it very disturbing. They could hire the Penny Dreadful creator to do this.
Iron Fist was some of the worst crap I've ever seen in a while. Luke Cage I didn't mind, but there are just too many of these shows.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Iron Fist was some of the worst crap I've ever seen in a while. Luke Cage I didn't mind, but there are just too many of these shows.

I've seen so many that they all look formulaic, always the same tired cliches. I'm not able to get into this stuff as much anymore.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I've seen so many that they all look formulaic, always the same tired cliches. I'm not able to get into this stuff as much anymore.
Agreed..
Iron fist..Luke cage..daredevil..Jessica Jones...punisher..flash..Gotham..shields...to that you add all the superhero movies.
Any normal movie now becomes a breath of fresh air.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Agreed..
Iron fist..Luke cage..daredevil..Jessica Jones...punisher..flash..Gotham..shields...to that you add all the superhero movies.

You forgot to mention the “event” series, Inhumans... Iron Fist looks like an Emmy winner next to that POS.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
problem with Iron Fist is that it's not a superheroe serie, it's a 80's b-serie karate movie.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Agreed..

Bear in mind I don't watch all these shows, the Netflix ones have a different execution than the more traditional super-hero ones. Cage and Fist were just bland. Watching Cage it's a bit too tame when you can watch a super-killer like Punisher instead. And it doesn't have the following and panache of DD. And Fist was just the wrong place to tackle this concept. If you want to do street-level edgy shows, you cannot do it half-ass and Fist just had that little supernatural that distracted from that. It's a character that should embrace the extraordinary in force with big special effects and do a movie about it.

But if I was Marvel/Netflix, I would start tapping into the Marvel Horror library. Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night, etc...and there's no censorship there so you can push it however you like.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Bear in mind I don't watch all these shows, the Netflix ones have a different execution than the more traditional super-hero ones. Cage and Fist were just bland. Watching Cage it's a bit too tame when you can watch a super-killer like Punisher instead. And it doesn't have the following and panache of DD. And Fist was just the wrong place to tackle this concept. If you want to do street-level edgy shows, you cannot do it half-ass and Fist just had that little supernatural that distracted from that. It's a character that should embrace the extraordinary in force with big special effects and do a movie about it.

But if I was Marvel/Netflix, I would start tapping into the Marvel Horror library. Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night, etc...and there's no censorship there so you can push it however you like.
Horror shows are becoming more popular so they might venture more into that. The haunting of hill house was recently good.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The New Mutants is supposed to dip into the horror genre. The movie’s release keeps getting pushed back so who knows if this is strategic or it’s trash.

Morbius could easily veer into the horror genre but so did Dr. Strange which they made a straight up PG13 family friendly movie. I do hope they keep Morbius darker though.

As for non-comic book horror, I think horror really can be hit or miss. I like watching slasher flicks but admit they usually are low brow and dumb. That said, been a while since a horror movie has disturbed me. I can watch those Conjuring/Insidious/Paranormal Activity movies 1am by myself in an unfinished basement and probably fall asleep after shutting the TV off. I do want to see Halloween though.

I haven’t seen Haunting of Hill House but it did look great. I started watching the current American Horror Story, but like it has over many seasons, this show is seriously declining. Murder House is easily the best season.

What I miss are really good serial killer stories. I actually enjoyed the last season of American Crime Story which focused on Versace’s murder.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
The New Mutants is supposed to dip into the horror genre. The movie’s release keeps getting pushed back so who knows if this is strategic or it’s trash.

Morbius could easily veer into the horror genre but so did Dr. Strange which they made a straight up PG13 family friendly movie. I do hope they keep Morbius darker though.

As for non-comic book horror, I think horror really can be hit or miss. I like watching slasher flicks but admit they usually are low brow and dumb. That said, been a while since a horror movie has disturbed me. I can watch those Conjuring/Insidious/Paranormal Activity movies 1am by myself in an unfinished basement and probably fall asleep after shutting the TV off. I do want to see Halloween though.

I haven’t seen Haunting of Hill House but it did look great. I started watching the current American Horror Story, but like it has over many seasons, this show is seriously declining. Murder House is easily the best season.

What I miss are really good serial killer stories. I actually enjoyed the last season of American Crime Story which focused on Versace’s murder.

American Horror Story disappoints almost every season. I feel like they start strong then devolve into absolute crap by the halfway point. S1 was great start to finish. S2 was good until the aliens. This season was interesting until the Witches and Warlocks get involved. Now they are bringing back the Murder House of S1.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Watched the first two episodes of Manifest.

And during the whole time, I wondered -- just like the characters in Manifest -- how I was robbed of time.

In this week's AMLT (acronym, cause Ozy loves them), there was a big reveal. Now, if Jon's gifts are going keep coming like it happened in P.S. I Love You, where Gerard Butler showered his girlfriend Hillary Swank with a gift a day after his death, for ten days -- then it will have fallen into an irreversible pit of cheesiness and I'll pull the plug.

Having watched interviews with the main actors, a lot of what's coming will be flashbacks. This Jon guy will have as much time on screen as those he left behind. There's going to be a lot of stuff that seeps out. Apparently, strong friendships always tread on several layers of toxic waste. This series is supposed to peel them like an onion -- hopefully there will be enough behind it to be watchable.

GTFO MOFO :sarcasm::nod:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Honestly, all these Marvel TV shows should just end. Part of the initial appeal was the whole "they are connected" but the movies don't acknowledge the shows and Shield references events of Infinity War but completely ignores the "snap".

MCU shows: Luke Cage and Iron Fist cancelled are fine by me. Jessica Jones can go for all I care and the same for Agents of Shield. I like Punisher because I loved the comics, but the first season can also be the last since other than maybe Jigsaw, they ended the season somewhat conclusively. Daredevil season 3 I haven't seen yet, but I wasn't in a rush to watch.

Non-MCU: No desire to watch Runaways, and never got into Cloak and Dagger. The Gifted can die a painful death for all I care. They acknowledge the X-Men but its so stupid in terms of licensing or whatever that they can't refer to actual characters. Never-mind that the entire cast is completely unlikable.

Except for a show like Punisher, or to a lessor extent Daredevil, where there aren't really any superpowers, a TV budget just doesn't work with these shows. It could be compensated with good stories and acting, but all of these shows lack this to a degree.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
While I am ranting on shows to end, Hawaii Five-O is DONE. Just end the series FFS. Lethal Weapon should end also as while I like Stifler, you can't have a LW without Riggs. Add to this, Damon Wayans is planning to leave himself.

May as well throw all the typical reality shows into the dumpster, starting with Hell's Kitchen. That show's formula is so tiring. It would actually be a fresh change of pace with actual talented chefs competing with less drama. Spend some time talking about their past and dreams and make the show more human. Of course, the shouting, F-bombs and calling people donuts is what FOX is all about...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm 5 years late, but The World's End is an absolute blast, and I don't know why I didn't watch it before.

Reactions: ArtPeur

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Just finished watching The Haunting of Hill House. It was pretty good. It wasn't some lame ass cheesy horror series. It had a good story, interesting characters, good acting, and a pretty complex and interconnected plot with some decent scares and tension.

I was pleasantly surprised.

I didnt even bother watching the Solo film. I just laugh when someone asks if I've seen it. I've lost all faith in Star Wars under Disney.

The Last Jedi was one of the worst movie disappointments of my life. What a terrible film. Just chalked full of SJW and leftist propaganda right to the brim, all capped off by a terrible story and characters we dont give a f*** about.

All of our childhood heroes are all sad, old, failures now, and we're supposed to all of a sudden care about some mary sue who's motivation is completely non-existant in a story that has no defined direction.

Pure trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad