Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Honestly, I'm having a difficult time watching the special... :(

I saw some of it. It's a tough watch to be sure, especially for those of us who looked up to him.

At least you got to meet him, even if it wasn't the most pleasant encounter. I've always wondered how he is in person. I've seen him described as a very shy person.

When you see pics of him in his 20s, the impression I got was how similar he looked to Howard Stern. Real uncanny.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's a very broad group of people to select from, especially if one considers historical figures.

I'll keep my list to current chefs, so I'd be opting for an evening with Morimoto, José Andres or Martin Picard.
Most of the Quebec born/based chef are either full of it or theyre just regular down to earth dudes wholl call you "bro/big/man", just gotta hope its the latter with Picard, he seems to be a bit intense thats for sure.

Had the pleasure of speaking with Bottura, that was one of the most surprising encounters Ive had and I wasnt expecting this at all. When I looked up and saw his crazy gray hair and his small glasses I was pretty much shocked.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Most of the Quebec born/based chef are either full of it or theyre just regular down to earth dudes wholl call you "bro/big/man", just gotta hope its the latter with Picard, he seems to be a bit intense thats for sure.

Had the pleasure of speaking with Bottura, that was one of the most surprising encounters Ive had and I wasnt expecting this at all. When I looked up and saw his crazy gray hair and his small glasses I was pretty much shocked.

I only know Picard from his appearances on Bourdain's shows and his own show that aired several years ago. I love his whole animal philosophy and his over the top tendancies to excess, often with fois gras. :laugh:

He seemed like a fun, good natured fellow to me with interesting and delicious food. I don't usually care for most, if not all Canadian cooking personalities. As a rule, they seem insipid to me. Not so Picard.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Does anyone know if tonight's Berlin episode of Parts Unknown was the last to air? I couldn't find any details on whether CNN is planning to run the final two episodes of season 11 or even if those were filmed prior to Anthony's unexpected passing.
I don't know if the Berlin episode was the last one of the season. Before he died it was merely going to be the next episode so there may be more "in the can" waiting to be aired.

But while we're on the subject, that Berlin episode was so incredibly good that it should win an Emmy. The writing was fantastic and the visuals were impeccable. The featured foods were nothing special but this wasn't an episode that was really about the food. It's about place, context, emotion, mood. It had such depth. It just served to make the loss of Bourdain even more poignant.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
That's a very broad group of people to select from, especially if one considers historical figures.

I'll keep my list to current chefs, so I'd be opting for an evening with Morimoto, José Andres or Martin Picard.

Current only as well... For me it's a two horse race between Alex Atala and Grant Achatz.

Reactions: Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Well, this has been a blast to watch.

If you're into BBC mini-series it's a must-see IMO. It's just so damn grounded in reality, something producers struggle with at large this side of the Atlantic.

Every time I stumble upon these golden nuggets I wish more of them could be discovered easier. The searches in-between just take too long.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

Massimo Bottura's episode of Chef's Table is one of my favourite episodes.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe Bourdain was taken out for his comments about president Trump and Kim Jong-un

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Well, this has been a blast to watch.

If you're into BBC mini-series it's a must-see IMO. It's just so damn grounded in reality, something producers struggle with at large this side of the Atlantic.

Every time I stumble upon these golden nuggets I wish more of them could be discovered easier. The searches in-between just take too long.

@Bryson

This one is for you. :)

I'm about to check it out.

Thanks, GoodKiwi, these two shows seem to be right up my alley. I will definitely check them out.

I've never watched Anthony Bourdain's shows. Where should I start? Is there a big difference between "No reservations" and "Parts Unknown" or is it basically the same thing?

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Thanks, GoodKiwi, these two shows seem to be right up my alley. I will definitely check them out.

I've never watched Anthony Bourdain's shows. Where should I start? Is there a big difference between "No reservations" and "Parts Unknown" or is it basically the same thing?

I'd do it chronologically:

A Cook's Tour
No Reservations
The Layover
Parts Unknown

Now, the first two are very similar - they both concentrate more on food exploration than anything else. They are also the ones that feature a more "naive" and edgier Bourdain. First one of the two is certainly starting to feel dated and can be corny at times. "No Reservations" is basically a mature remake of "A Cook's Tour".

"The Layover" changes the format a little, but is in the same vein as the two above. This one tries to get its viewer a bit more sense of the location along with food culture. The format is interesting if somewhat flawed (Tony being Tony actually makes jokes about the fake structure of the show often during it).

"Parts Unknown" is not a show about food or travel. It only uses local cuisines as a backdrop for much more serious sociopolitical subject matter. Tony you see here is a far cry from his earlier version. He is predominantly a listener here and he rarely is the one driving dialogue. I often got a feeling that Anthony is tired/disinterested throughout it. This show is certainly meant for a much more mature audience and it doesn't chase mass appeal. I found myself to be less interested in certain episodes than I was in others and I think that's perfectly normal. This is a deeply exploratory series.

If I had to pick my favourite among these four I'd say it's "No Reservations". It's more casual and Bourdain we see there connects with me more. It features some memorable humorous moments that I like a great deal.

Hope this helps and, trust me, you're in for a treat! I'm jealous.

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I'd do it chronologically:

A Cook's Tour
No Reservations
The Layover
Parts Unknown

Now, the first two are very similar - they both concentrate more on food exploration than anything else. They also the ones that feature a more "naive" and edgier Bourdain.

"The Layover" tries to change the format a little, but it in the same vein as the two above. This one tries to get its viewer a bit more sense of the location along with food culture. The format is interesting if somewhat flawed.

"Parts Unknown" is not a show about food or travel. It only uses local cuisines as a backdrop for much more serious sociopolitical subject matter. Tony you see here is a far cry from his earlier version. He is predominantly a listener here and he rarely is the one driving dialogue. I often got a feeling that Anthony is tired/disinterested throughout it. This show is certainly meant for a much more mature audience and it doesn't chase mass appeal. I found myself to be less interested in certain episodes than I was in others and I think that's perfectly normal. This is an deeply exploratory show.

If I had to pick my favourite among these four I'd say it's "No Reservations". It's more casual and Bourdain we see there connects with me more. It features some memorable humorous moments that I like a great deal.

Hope this helps and, trust me, you're in for a treat! I'm jealous.

Great synopses and descriptions of those Boudain series @GoodKiwi!

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

Maybe Bourdain was taken out for his comments about president Trump and Kim Jong-un

I remember when he was in Sweden and had a Swedish midnight special aka "tunnbrödsrulle". It's a very thin soft flat bread that they at times have at IKEA and then you add mashed potatoes, a sausage either a wiener or a bratwurst, then mustard. ketchup and a mayo based shrimp salad plus dill weed and make a roll. You can get a kebab/gyro this way as well but no mashed potatoes or sausage. I have made a few here in the US and it brings back the memories when you walked home from a nightclub/bar etc. in the middle of the night and had that what we call "fyllhunger" blotto hunger perhaps in British English. One of the first things I did when I visited Sweden the last time was taking my son to one of them and he loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad