Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The original star wars movies were great and their cultural impact is proof of that.

The acting was very good, it's why the characters are iconic.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The original star wars movies were great and their cultural impact is proof of that.

The acting was very good, it's why the characters are iconic.

I think the casting was good. The actors themselves outside of Ford not so much. Hamill really is a bad actor. But he was properly cast in a role suited for him.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
ROTS is one of my fav SW movies. Aside from the bad acting, the story itself was epic. The fight scenes were the best in the entire franchise. It's what I always wanted to see; the story of how the emperor was able to take control and purge the jedi. Being an emulation of the knights templar, it was just fitting to get a story that has connotations of the purge the Templars also went through.

The actors are not to blame, they were more than capable. Even resurrected Marlon Brando couldn't make that garbage script decent. Dialogue that sounds like it was written by a group of 7 year olds acted out in flat scenes. The movies were rightfully lampooned and not for their acting.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think the casting was good. The actors themselves outside of Ford not so much. Hamill really is a bad actor. But he was properly cast in a role suited for him.

Hamill definitely got better with time. Think he does good voice acting stuff here and there but yeah you're more or less right.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
The reason Boba Fett was so cool is because we didn’t know anything about him. Just a silent bounty hunter. This will take away that allure. Probably throw him in a stupid love story.
True. My interest isn't so much the character itself but exploring the more seedier side of SW.
Mangold's 3:10 to Yuma is a damn good Western, so I'm hoping it'll be more of a pulpy Man With No Name type sci fi.

Who am I kidding, it's Disney so it'll probably be some shitty pg-13 action blockbuster with a forced love interest.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I watched Solo on Saturday. I think that it was a good movie, and that its box office is suffering from general disappointment in Episodes 7 and 8.

Red Letter Media had a good review of the film. They're a little annoying but they went over many of the pros and cons. These are guys who liked the original trilogy, but have not enjoyed the subsequent movies and are not into the obsessive fan culture.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Hamill definitely got better with time. Think he does good voice acting stuff here and there but yeah you're more or less right.
I can't think of Hamill today without remembering his guest spot on The Simpsons where he did a dinner theatre production of Guys and Dolls, complete with his light saber.

"Mark Hamill IS Nathan Detroit. Prime rib IS the entrée"

Reactions: Tim Wallach

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Really? I don’t see it on Netflix.
I heard it's on Netflix pretty much everywhere but in Canada/Quebec. Something about them not having distribution rights in Quebec...

It's a shame. It's a very good movie.

Looks like you're bang on Guiliam. I didn't know that. I guess the producer wanted to keep the rights in Americas, as Netflix competes with movie theaters nowadays.

Les Affamés will be available March 2, 2018, on Netflix in markets around the world, with the exceptions of Canada, Latin America and Eastern Europe. It will be available to Canadian Netflix members starting next year.

NETFLIX ACQUIRES FRENCH-CANADIAN FILM “LES AFFAMÉS”

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Looks like you're bang on Guiliam. I didn't know that. I guess the producer wanted to keep the rights in Americas, as Netflix competes with movie theaters nowadays.

Les Affamés will be available March 2, 2018, on Netflix in markets around the world, with the exceptions of Canada, Latin America and Eastern Europe. It will be available to Canadian Netflix members starting next year.

Well, you know what they say: piracy is an availability problem.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Good way to promote Canadian media, by not making it accessible in Canada. f*** this country sometimes.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I just started watching Mr Robot and I really like it, very intense and fast paced.

Good for you bud, cant express how impressed i am with this show

ending to season 1 was predictable i thought but the next 2 seasons have been nothing short of AMAZING, 3rd season probably topped season 2!

Tyrell is one of the best characters ever

Reactions: OldCraig71

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The funny thing about the prequels hate is that a lot of what's hated about them can easily be applied to the originals as well. For how bad Christensen was in the prequels, Mark Hamill was a pretty ****ty actor himself at the time, and it's not like he's a great one even today.

Difference is, there's bad bland which Christiansen was and there's bad energetic like Hamill. In that Hamill was basically at the level of a soap opera actor with his overacting sometime. But you are talking about adventure that welcomes the over the top elements across the board.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Good way to promote Canadian media, by not making it accessible in Canada. **** this country sometimes.

Rappelons que Netflix a acquis les droits internationaux du film québécois au début de l'année et que ses abonnés de partout dans le monde peuvent le visionner depuis mars dernier; les abonnés canadiens de Netflix devront attendre à l'an prochain avant d'y avoir accès.

Un Blu-ray pour Les affamés | Frédéric Murphy | Cinéma québécois

The movie will be available on Blu-ray in July though.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Even just recently, watching his show on Sunday night, I thought to myself "What a great life this guy's got. Travelling the world on someone else's dime, staying in 5 star hotels, eating great food, getting hammered."

On the other hand, I read a while back that he was separated from his wife (and possibly estranged from his daughter as a result, who knows?) so not everything in his life was perfect. Still, it's a damn shame. He was quite close friends with the guys from Joe Beef. His Montreal episode was great (at the end he goes to a Habs game at the Bell Centre) and in his recent trip to Newfoundland he took the Joe Beef guys with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad