Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I watched Hostiles last night. Thought it was quite good, but with a couple pacing issues and redundant scenes. But a solid 7.5/10 for me.

SPOILER -

(One big issue I had was I don't know why they had to kill off so many of the group at the end. It seemed to me they would have accomplished more with the movie - including all the main goals - by leaving more alive).

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Man my dad just bought hearing aid to watch TV and the price of those things is just ridiculous.

I just built a workstation. Wacom drawing tablet. High end Sennheiser communication headset. Gamer keyboard. Gamer mouse. One of the most expensive consumer grade cpu. One of the most expensive consumer grade GPU. One NVMe drive. Two SSD. External drive for backup. Blur-ray burner. Expensive gamer motherboard. High speed gamer ram. Expensive full tower case. 3rd party cooler for the cpu. The cost? Less than my dad's brand new Oticon Opn 3.

God bless oligopolies and our good government not caring about the anti trust laws. As a computer engineer i'm shocked by the ridiculous price of those devices. It's legalized theft as far as i'm concerned.

Man so frustrated right now. 5k for hearing aid device. So ridiculous ...

Reactions: groovejuice

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Was sick like a dog for 2 weeks, had time to watch:

all the episodes from last man on earth
Den of Thieves
New star wars movie again (still hate it)
12 strong
The post
Shape of water
We were soldiers (first time)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Man my dad just bought hearing aid to watch TV and the price of those things is just ridiculous.

I just built a workstation. Wacom drawing tablet. High end Sennheiser communication headset. Gamer keyboard. Gamer mouse. One of the most expensive consumer grade cpu. One of the most expensive consumer grade GPU. One NVMe drive. Two SSD. External drive for backup. Blur-ray burner. Expensive gamer motherboard. High speed gamer ram. Expensive full tower case. 3rd party cooler for the cpu. The cost? Less than my dad's brand new Oticon Opn 3.

God bless oligopolies and our good government not caring about the anti trust laws. As a computer engineer i'm shocked by the ridiculous price of those devices. It's legalized theft as far as i'm concerned.

Man so frustrated right now. 5k for hearing aid device. So ridiculous ...

Someone should come forward and do to the earing aid business what they did to that US gouger who caused an unconscionable price hike on the Daraprim drug:

A group of Australian high school students have managed to recreate a life-saving drug that rose from US$13.50 to US$750 a tablet overnight after an unscrupulous price-hike by former hedge fund manager Martin Shkreli.
The Sydney Grammar students reproduced the drug, Daraprim, used to treat a rare but deadly parasitic infection, in their high school laboratory with support from the University of Sydney and global members of the Open Source Malariaconsortium.

Australian students recreate Martin Shkreli price-hike drug in school lab

The student version of the drug, which is a quality product, can be had in Australia at a price of $13 USD for a packet of 50.

If I were in the same situation, I'd try to expose the scam and ask for the help of students who want to make a difference.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
It's not movies or TV shows but I started listening to the Hardcore History podcasts by Dan Carlin since a bunch are free. I gotta say they are just incredible and this is coming from someone who never listens to podcasts. They are so good I think I will buy the ones that aren't free even if I could torrent them for free. If you have any interest in historic wars or just empire building in general you will love these, the man knows how to tell a story. I just started so far with the Celtic Holocaust and the King of Kings series and they are like crack.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
On the subject of podcasts, here's one that I've seen mentioned a few times on talk shows: The Daily - Podcasts - The New York Times

Political junkies like Seth Meyers, listen to Mike Barbaro every day:

The Daily
This is how the news should sound. Twenty minutes a day, five days a week, hosted by Michael Barbaro and powered by New
York Times journalism.

Great content, it's delivered in an NPR kind of style:

Michael Barbaro is the host and managing editor of The Daily. He has written about presidential campaigns and a billionaire New York City mayor. Wal-Mart once secretly taped his phone calls. He ends every show with a splash of gin.

And another great part about it -- it's totally free.

Reactions: dinodebino

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's not movies or TV shows but I started listening to the Hardcore History podcasts by Dan Carlin since a bunch are free. I gotta say they are just incredible and this is coming from someone who never listens to podcasts. They are so good I think I will buy the ones that aren't free even if I could torrent them for free. If you have any interest in historic wars or just empire building in general you will love these, the man knows how to tell a story. I just started so far with the Celtic Holocaust and the King of Kings series and they are like crack.

Saw a Jonah Keri recommendation re history podcasts that received favorable reviews: The History of Rome by Mike Duncan on Apple Podcasts

Free on iTunes from author Mike Duncan:

A weekly podcast tracing the history of the Roman Empire, beginning with Aeneas's arrival in Italy and ending with the exile of Romulus Augustulus, last Emperor of the Western Roman Empire. Now complete!

170x170bb.jpg

Reactions: OneSharpMarble

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I watched Darkest Hour and Dunkirk almost back to back. Really enjoyed both, felt like the movies were complementing each other very well.

Also finally watched Whiplash, and wow, why did I have to wait so long? The movie's last scene is powerful, powerful stuff.

Thanks will be putting Darkest Hour on my radar.

Mistakenly watched Operation Dunkirk thinking it was the Christopher Nolan movie. It feels more like a Canadian low budget made for TV movie lol. Not a recommendation but I enjoyed it for what it was, for anyone who enjoys cheesy B movies.

Whiplash was fantastic. Recommended for anyone that hasn't watch it yet!

I recently heard how a new netflix series called Dark is even better than Stranger Things. Really hyped about watching that over the weekend.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I saw a Marc Labreche doing an imitation of Dave Morrisette show tonight in his show Info Sexe Mensonges.
Very funny ! Labreche doing Morrisette, Théodore and Bossy, Paul Houde doing Julien. A Claude Julien that sounds more real than the real one, and very funny the Mike Bossy, lol.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I love Marc Labrèche, ran into him a few times many years ago at McGill University's faculty of music. He used to bring his kid in for music lessons, studied with the same teacher as my kids.

I searched Info Sexe Mensonges online and it looks like a great show. I tried to find a recording of tonight's show online, to no avail. Then I checked my Videotron on demand feature and there is a tab for the Ici-Artv Radcan specialty channel where Labrèche's show is broadcast. All I have to do is subscribe to the channel and I can see tonight's missed show and all future shows. I might give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Watching the premiere of the new Strike Back. Exactly the same formula, right down to carbon copy characters from the previous iteration. That's very disappointing for me at first glance.

Reactions: sandviper

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I love Marc Labrèche, ran into him a few times many years ago at McGill University's faculty of music. He used to bring his kid in for music lessons, studied with the same teacher as my kids.

I searched Info Sexe Mensonges online and it looks like a great show. I tried to find a recording of tonight's show online, to no avail. Then I checked my Videotron on demand feature and there is a tab for the Ici-Artv Radcan specialty channel where Labrèche's show is broadcast. All I have to do is subscribe to the channel and I can see tonight's missed show and all future shows. I might give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.
The show is schedule again tonight at 10:30 pm at radio-can, well, anyone who likes hockey and watched Dave Morissette a few times should watch that parody.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Watching the premiere of the new Strike Back. Exactly the same formula, right down to carbon copy characters from the previous iteration. That's very disappointing for me at first glance.

The prior series was so ridiculous and absurd... and I loved it. Easily one of my favorite “check the brain out at the door” shows. I knew this new series was coming but forgot it started yesterday.

Based on some reviews I’ve read, they clearly tried to create more or less the same characters as you’ve noticed. Can only be one Stonebridge and Scott, but I’m hoping get these new characters will grow on me.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Thanks will be putting Darkest Hour on my radar.

Mistakenly watched Operation Dunkirk thinking it was the Christopher Nolan movie. It feels more like a Canadian low budget made for TV movie lol. Not a recommendation but I enjoyed it for what it was, for anyone who enjoys cheesy B movies.

Whiplash was fantastic. Recommended for anyone that hasn't watch it yet!

I recently heard how a new netflix series called Dark is even better than Stranger Things. Really hyped about watching that over the weekend.

I tried watching Dark... Had to give up due to the horrible dubbing. It was that bad.

If I can find a subbed version, I might give it another shot.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

He's one of the best

Reactions: Runner77

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The prior series was so ridiculous and absurd... and I loved it. Easily one of my favorite “check the brain out at the door” shows. I knew this new series was coming but forgot it started yesterday.

Based on some reviews I’ve read, they clearly tried to create more or less the same characters as you’ve noticed. Can only be one Stonebridge and Scott, but I’m hoping get these new characters will grow on me.

I was a fan of the original series as well. As you say, great mindless entertainment. I hope this one will evolve before long because it's a poor imitation right now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I can't say enough good things about this document-style show on TV5 called Thalassa. It opens your eyes to a wealth of information, from the perspective of the oceans and the seas, but also coastal cities, architecture, way of life, local specialties and historical buildings.

I've been holding on to several shows I had PVRed over the past 2 years and have finally decided I had to view them all. The show had been hosted by Georges Pernoud, who retired in the summer and was replaced by a younger presenter. Unfortunately, there hasn't been much in the way of new shows since Pernoud retired but I suspect filming will begin again as spring approaches.

Just to give you an example of the kind of trivia that comes up as the show delves into historical structures, they spent time showing the lighthouse in Gatteville (aka Le Phare de Gatteville) situated at the tip of Barfleur in the lower Normandy region of France. It was built between 1829-1834 and was the tallest lighthouse in the world at the time, but that's not what's most fascinating about it.

It's this:

365 marches (une par jour de l'année), 52 fenêtres (une par semaine) et 12 paliers (un par mois)

The lighthouse features 365 steps (for each day of the year), 52 windows (one for each week) and 12 stair landings (one for each month).

Not too sure what happens during leap years but the whole idea of someone building a structure with these parameters is fascinating.

This is just one example of the many interesting facets that Thalassa delves into.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I tried watching Dark... Had to give up due to the horrible dubbing. It was that bad.

If I can find a subbed version, I might give it another shot.

Ya I was taken offguard as well. I didn't know the entire show was in German. I wouldn't mind the English dub if it didn't sound like it was recorded in a telephone booth using a tin can for a microphone. Watching the German dub with English subtitles is definitely the way to go.

Netflix defaults the show to the English dub but there is a way to switch languages in the options menu. I was lucky enough to download a webrip with both the english and german dubs.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal

You can watch all of the Info, sexe et mensonges éepisode on ici.tou.tv

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->