Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
"What are you gonna do Ben?
You're gonna kill me?
You think that scares me?
My son died... He died in my f***ing arms.
So, what in God's name do you think you could do to me that I haven't done to myself?
A million times.
I've been in pain, my entire life.
And maybe that's what makes people think that I'm weak
And maybe that makes people treat me like some sort of receptacle for all their grief... and rage... and disappointment.
And I'm f***ing sick of it.
I just wanna live a different life.
I wanna live a different story.
I'm still young.
I can be someone else, someone who deserves love.
Someone who can be happy."

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Got my hands on the unreleased episodes of "Sharp Objects" earlier today and watched it all. To be honest I'm disappointed given the hype I built up in my head. The show was on the right track for its first half but then fell so so short IMO. it failed to capture the spirit of the novel and Adams' talent was largely wasted here IMO.

:thumbd:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
To think I nearly gave up on it after a disappointing s3. :eek:

It had its downfalls then.

Sorry to hear that. I know how much you were looking forward to it, you had posted several trailers as I recall.

I tried to watch it but found it too slow so I let it go. Now my decision may have been made easier.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Please convince me to make it that far. I stopped somewhere around episode 2 of season 2. I kept trying to convince myself that it was a good show because the quality of the production, because of the photography, because of the music, because of the writing, etc. But this plot? I just can't buy it. If after so many episodes, I still can't care for any of the character, I doubt it will ever happen. Or maybe you can convince me to give it one more shot?

I liked the first season but will admit that for myself anyhow, season two has been tough. Episode 8 was great stuff though and the finale wasn’t bad.

Shogun world was a colossal waste of time despite some great actors (I am a big fan of Hiro Sanada). You are closing in on that arc right now.

That said, if you watched season one and you’re now 20% done season two, you may as well watch the rest. Even though I think season 3 is confirmed and the show definitely leaves it open for more, at the same time, the finale also felt, um, it felt very final to me. It kills off a half dozen regulars and when it ends, the story seems wrapped up for many of them. The end game planned all season was more or less achieved.

For the finale, when it is over, stick around for after the credits.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Sorry to hear that. I know how much you were looking forward to it, you had posted several trailers as I recall.

I tried to watch it but found it too slow so I let it go. Now my decision may have been made easier.

Yeah, it's a bummer.

The positives about "Sharp Objects" are its camera/editing/sound work. It set the bar to be reached by anything that follows IMO. It's the best I've seen in any TV series to date, no question. it really captures the feel of Wind Gap as described by Flynn.

EDIT: The acting is very strong throughout as well. it's just that I feel the actors were caged by the writing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anybody seen the first two epîsodes of Better Call Saul?

Some thoughs on it?

Plunged right into it and am liking it again. Highlight for me was Kim Wexler's verbal assault on lawyer Howard in his conference room, from Episode 2. It encapsulated everything that Saul's brother was about and how he was continuing to belittle Saul from the grave, through Howard. She left Howard speechless.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Anybody seen the first two epîsodes of Better Call Saul?

Some thoughs on it?

My thoughts are that it's too much of a soap box for Gilligan to be enjoyable. I quit on the show early in its second season. I might re-visit at some point, but it's not at the top of my TV priorities given what I'd seen.

P.S. That said, "Five-O" is one of the best singular episodes of any TV series I've ever seen. It stands out head and shoulders above the rest of the material I watched.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Plunged right into it and am liking it again. Highlight for me was Kim Wexler's verbal assault on lawyer Howard in his conference room, from Episode 2. It encapsulated everything that Saul's brother was about and how he was continuing to belittle Saul from the grave, through Howard. She left Howard speechless.

Yeah, it was also my favorite scene from the first two episodes. I wonder what will happen to Kin before the serie ends. She wasn't there for Breaking Bad, so I always wondered if they'll fill her off, or maybe even Howard (great actor too).

Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
My thoughts are that it's too much of a soap box for Gilligan to be enjoyable. I quit on the show early in its second season. I might re-visit at some point, but it's not at the top of my TV priorities given what I'd seen.

P.S. That said, "Five-O" is one of the best singular episodes of any TV series I've ever seen. It stands out head and shoulders above the rest of the material I watched.

Five-o is also one of my favorites.

So you didn't see Chuck's breakdown in season 3, episode 5. It's epic. Worth watching the whole series to get to that episode.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Five-o is also one of my favorites.

So you didn't see Chuck's breakdown in season 3, episode 5. It's epic. Worth watching the whole series to get to that episode.

I don't buy the concept of powering through something that's not enjoyable just to get to highlights.

There is too much good stuff out there that doesn't require this kind of commitment. I'd rather spend my free time with it.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'm about to check out "Chance". Been on my back-burner list for too long now and I can't wait to see Gretchen Mol. Always had a crush on her. :snide:

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Anybody got any suggestions for a movie tonight? Not one in the theatres.

Currently considering:

Kong Skull Island
Call Me by You Name
The Commuter
The Mountain Between us

Any input? Other suggestions would be appreciated as well

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Currently considering:

Kong Skull Island
Call Me by You Name
The Commuter
The Mountain Between us

Skull Island was so pointless

An excuse for a Kong movie. The whole shamballah thing is so pre 1950, theosophical society bent.

i know that it's part of the original Kong mythos, still, they could've actualized it much better.

The whole added HP lovecraft flavor was a bit too much.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL

Currently considering:

Kong Skull Island
Call Me by You Name
The Commuter
The Mountain Between us

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
Moon (2009)

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
You know how sometimes you enjoy that fast-food chain burger while knowing full well it's a piece of crap that you're stuffing down your throat?

It's exactly the same feeling I am having right now watching "Second Chance". :laugh:

The writing is so damn awful, you can't even imagine a person in their right mind to have written this diarrhea. The acting cast is just lost in it. Yet I think I'm going to inhale the one season this Frankenstein of a creation (pun intended) survived though.

IQ does not need to apply.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Skull Island was so pointless

An excuse for a Kong movie. The whole shamballah thing is so pre 1950, theosophical society bent.

i know that it's part of the original Kong mythos, still, they could've actualized it much better.

The whole added HP lovecraft flavor was a bit too much.

Thanks, will take a miss on that one then.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Thanks, will take a miss on that one then.

And I'm far from a movie snob, but I'm not a huge fan of the uber monster genre a la Godzilla. If you're trippy over those type of movies, you might like it, otherwise it's pretty much the kind of movie you stick Samuel Jackson in it as a bad guy to get good one liners. That and the CGI are probably it's two most endearing qualities, it's two only qualities. Oh and that babe, who was it, Amber Heard? 3 only qualities (four depending from your pov because of Amber, or whoever it was).

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad