OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
The craziest part is how this really happened...

I lived in Sweden when that happened and Sweden was the country that sounded the alarm when we noticed the radiation. Apparently the cloud from the meltdown blew across parts of Belarus, Finland and a big chunk blew over Sweden. Soviet kept quiet until then. We should ask them for reparations. :)
Anyway even today there are warnings to not eat animals hunted there. As Canadians you probably know the area better if I say the SHL team Brynäs which is a part of Gävle and it is not far from there. I don't know if it is still the same since this article is from 2007.

https://www.thelocal.se/20070504/7200

While the Chernobyl explosion recedes into history, for many people in parts of northern and central Sweden the effects are still being felt. Radiation from Chernobyl has been cited as a factor in more than 1,000 cancer deaths in Norrland between 1986 and 1999 - this in an area with a population of around one million

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Watched the first episode of Longmire and I'll keep watching for a bit.

Does every central male character in a police procedural have do have some deep sadness/darkness from their past? It's really overdone at this point.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I lived in Sweden when that happened and Sweden was the country that sounded the alarm when we noticed the radiation. Apparently the cloud from the meltdown blew across parts of Belarus, Finland and a big chunk blew over Sweden. Soviet kept quiet until then. We should ask them for reparations. :)
Anyway even today there are warnings to not eat animals hunted there. As Canadians you probably know the area better if I say the SHL team Brynäs which is a part of Gävle and it is not far from there. I don't know if it is still the same since this article is from 2007.

https://www.thelocal.se/20070504/7200

While the Chernobyl explosion recedes into history, for many people in parts of northern and central Sweden the effects are still being felt. Radiation from Chernobyl has been cited as a factor in more than 1,000 cancer deaths in Norrland between 1986 and 1999 - this in an area with a population of around one million
Their are some pretty interesting documentaries about the people and animals that remained there. The spiders in particular are very strange indeed.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I don't get the Money Heist hype. It's so ridiculously written.

I know a decent one called Heist. With Gene Hackman, Danny de Vito and Sam Rockwell. I haven't seen it for a long time but I remember thinking that as heist films come and go, this one is decent.

Reactions: Runner77

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Btw, if you are interested in documentaries there is a special streaming service with just documentaries and it is called Curiosity Stream. I signed up for a year a couple of weeks ago and it was only 15 dollars.
The quality is mixed and some are quite short but there are some really good ones and definitely worth much more than the price.
Here is a screenshot with docs about space and they have plenty more about space that don't fit on the screen. They have several about nuclear power and one about Chernobyl called "Nature Fights Back in Chernobyl"

upload_2020-4-7_17-13-56.png

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I know a decent one called Heist. With Gene Hackman, Danny de Vito and Sam Rockwell. I haven't seen it for a long time but I remember thinking that as heist films come and go, this one is decent.

Written and directed by the great David Mamet. Flawless movie in its execution. You should watch Spanish Prisoner. Great stuff with a nice performance by Steve Martin in a serious role.

Reactions: groovejuice

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
It's a very creative and intense series. There's also more full nudity than you see pretty much anywhere on regular TV. Thandie Newton.... :heart:

I started to watch The Expanse after having been through season 2 of Westworld. It just couldn't compare, I had to drop the Expanse. Westworld is crazy good. I don't remember having seen anything sci-fi that good before.

Season 2 was a bit hard to follow, but still good. Season looks to be much simpler and awesome!

Reactions: groovejuice

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Watched the first episode of Longmire and I'll keep watching for a bit.

Does every central male character in a police procedural have do have some deep sadness/darkness from their past? It's really overdone at this point.
Longmire is an excellent show. You're in for a ride.

Reactions: Fenris and Kimota
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad