OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't understand why some people are surprised that Dany turned evil. Yes it was done poorly, when she just snapped in a split second on the back of her Dragon, but it's been obvious for a while that it was gonna happen. Tyrion and Jorah had to continuously rail her in and try to reason her when he temperament was getting the better of her. And when she burned the Tarlys and even when she crucified all the slave masters, those were all early evidence of her vengeful nature getting out of hand.

For me, it's not that it happened but how quickly. Too little time to develop the story properly. It looks completely rushed and improvised.

And no need for a spoiler tag, since the meaning of my comment can only be understood by reading your spoiler tagged comment.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Your notion of villain and hero is skewed by the show/books though. The Starks are not villain, they are merely caught in the cross-fires over and over, theyre not even hero, theyre victims. The Lannisters are a powerful house that use their power in a political way to gain even more influence, they are nor heroes nor villains, they are politicians.

Robert isn't a hero, he's a villain, he comes and "liberates" the city of their rightful ruler because he lost his wife to his son, thats laughable lol.
Rhaegar isn't a villain, he's just a dude that was in love with a girl that was already betrothed.

Since then ? It's mostly back to everyday life, with lords fighting like lords fight. It's basically medieval times, and there's no actual villain in there, just people seeking more political power.

The war of the five kings is weird, there's the King in the north, Robb, who doesn't really have a claim for the throne but goes for it because his dad died.. Which is... Yes, it's okay. I guess Robb is a hero.
Stannis is the "rightful" heir to the Usurper, which makes his case weird.
Renly doesn't have a case, he's a villain.
Balon Greyjoy didn't have a huge role but he clearly is a villain, if he choses to invade a foreign country/state/wtv.
Joffrey is a teenager, and yes, he's vile, but he hasn't really done anything but be mean to the Starks.

Dany though. She grows up to be a power-hungry woman. She kills people left and right, hundreds, and she does it for one single purpose, power.

Now thats a villain.

Dany was never a villain on the show, although she had a streak of resorting to violence instead of diplomacy against tyrants and their forces. It's a time of war, she was political, but she had never wronged innocent people, she mostly saved them from tyrant rulers. Jon Snow has killed and betrayed, but he's considered a honourable character, and rightfully so. Dany was not honourable, but she wasn't a villain neither.

Her arc was never about being an evil queen who would be exposed in the end. It's about her coming to terms with her ability to rule with fear rather than to rule with love.

She was aware deep down that power was her ultimate goal in life, and she halted at a crossroads once she realized people would want Jon and not her in Westeros. Although she believed in ruling with love, ruling was the most important part of it. I don't think she's happy about what she did either, but what she did was the worst thing anyone has done in the show. So yeah, now we can say she's a villain, but it wasn't always the case. The first time you could obviously trace back that type of tyrant behavior was when she burned the Tarlys and Tyrion gave her that look.

The point is not wether or not she was a villain from the start, but how she got to that point.

It's not my notion of who was a villain being skewed because of bias, I just think you have this perception that her current state could be traced back and her motivations were always the same, but I don't. I understood her motivations in congruence with the situations she was in.

Last edited:

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
For me, it's not that it happened but how quickly. Too little time to develop the story properly. It looks completely rushed and improvised.

And no need for a spoiler tag, since the meaning of my comment can only be understood by reading your spoiler tagged comment.

Agreed on all points. It was badly done, but it was obviously coming.

To D&D's defense, I guess it would have been hard to have her turn mad slowly and justify Tyrion, Jon, Davos etc. stay by her side and support her through it.

Reactions: Kimota and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

To D&D's defense, I guess it would have been hard to have her turn mad slowly and justify Tyrion, Jon, Davos etc. stay by her side and support her through it.

Interesting comment re character development and those more reasonable individuals by her side. I guess there could have been a slow burn type of story arc where there would have been a continued dysfunction leading to an eventual schism between them and her. Several sub-plots, including foiled plans to overthrow or murder her, escaping her vigilance and conspiring against her from a safe location, etc. Possibilities would have been endless and most importanly, easily digestible for the viewer. Some things just take time so as to be rendered in a proper manner.

Reactions: Guilliam

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Out of curiosity, if you could change a few small elements in season 8 to make the story better, what would you do? I'm not talking about completely changing the script or adding 4 episodes more. Just things you feel would be easily incorporated.

1) Do not show people on brink of death, only to make them survive. We saw it with Tyrion in Episode 4 (sail falls on him, he's alive). We saw it with Arya in Episode 5 and we saw a shitload of it in Episode 3. I understand creating drama but why put Sam on brink of death crying on dead bodies only to make him survive? Kills the integrity.

2) Make Danerys flee after she cannot damage the NK. Show her getting frustrated as her army dies and let her walk away briefly showing she is not a leader and will abandon her people should the cause not support her claim. No one needs to see her do it but the audience will know. Bonus if Jorah sees it but hides it.

3) Let Bran do something, anything. Even something minor like coordinate that the NK is coming, control Ghost.

4) Bran Bonus Bonanza: Let the NK and Bran actually interact. It may be too much for me to add a whole sequence where it shows Bran and the NK in the past but at very least show something in the present. Emotion, a phrase, anything. Bran could've distracted NK while Arya attacked.

5) Let Dany attack the red keep first. When the bricks fall on the innocent and they call her 'mad' she loses it, tearing down the city in consequence.

6) Let Jaime return to King's Landing with the purpose of finally killing his sister after she had a hit placed on him. Show him being unable to in the end. They die together as they try to escape.

I believe these minor differences would've aided in the story. It would've given bran more purpose and allowed the Dany goes crazy progression to be more realistic. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Out of curiosity, if you could change a few small elements in season 8 to make the story better, what would you do? I'm not talking about completely changing the script or adding 4 episodes more. Just things you feel would be easily incorporated.

1) Do not show people on brink of death, only to make them survive. We saw it with Tyrion in Episode 4 (sail falls on him, he's alive). We saw it with Arya in Episode 5 and we saw a ****load of it in Episode 3. I understand creating drama but why put Sam on brink of death crying on dead bodies only to make him survive? Kills the integrity.

2) Make Danerys flee after she cannot damage the NK. Show her getting frustrated as her army dies and let her walk away briefly showing she is not a leader and will abandon her people should the cause not support her claim. No one needs to see her do it but the audience will know. Bonus if Jorah sees it but hides it.

3) Let Bran do something, anything. Even something minor like coordinate that the NK is coming, control Ghost.

4) Bran Bonus Bonanza: Let the NK and Bran actually interact. It may be too much for me to add a whole sequence where it shows Bran and the NK in the past but at very least show something in the present. Emotion, a phrase, anything. Bran could've distracted NK while Arya attacked.

5) Let Dany attack the red keep first. When the bricks fall on the innocent and they call her 'mad' she loses it, tearing down the city in consequence.

6) Let Jaime return to King's Landing with the purpose of finally killing his sister after she had a hit placed on him. Show him being unable to in the end. They die together as they try to escape.

I believe these minor differences would've aided in the story. It would've given bran more purpose and allowed the Dany goes crazy progression to be more realistic. Just my 2 cents.
I think you hit many of the points that need to be changed. The main thing I would do is add another season though. Am I supposed to believe that all these characters suddenly change completely out of absolutely nowhere.

Also, the whole nightking thing was just utterly pointless. It brought absolutely nothing to the story and just looks like an excuse for having a massive battle.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

That's the problem...is if you start looking into it, Dany turning mad really doesn't make any sense. She just flipped a switch..
I mean, she's had very minimal interraction with Cersei. She has close to no history with her. They just know of each other and they're just enemies because they both want the same the throne.

The Dragons are her babies. To me, there is nothing more important to her, just like for any Mother. The one thing they all care about is their children. Euron is the one that killed her dragon, how does she not circle back after destroying his fleet to make sure she burns the crap out of him is already a mystery to me.
So she turns to Cersei, fine, she wants that Throne and obviously payback for Missandei. But the hate for Cersei and the people of King's Landing is completely unjustified. Using Missandei's death to justify this is pathetically lame. I mean...who the f*** are we talking about here...? Missandei? Her f***ing servant? What in the f***ing hell??
She's won pretty much every battle she's been in. She's a big reason why the NK is dead, she just destroyed her last real ''enemy'' and now has the Throne. But hey, it would really really really be cool if she just flipped a switch and go bonkers right??? Ya! Let's do it!

It just doesn't make sense.

Contrast that to her father. Aerys started out as a very good King. For the first decade or so, he ruled fairly, people loved him. He was however, vain and egotistical. So he started become jealous of Tywin Lannister, his hand, as some people were claiming he was the real one leading the country. He even cut out the tongue of someone for saying Tywin is the real leader. And then he gets captured for 6 months, barely escaping with his life. That starts the major status of paranoia. He starts thinking everyone around him is out to get him. Even Rhaegar. His mental state keeps worsening and towards the end, you're talking about a lot of back stories justifying and explaining his psyche. Finally, he decides to set fire to the city as he's gone full dellusional thinking he will raise out of it as an actual Dragon.

From what I read, that is in a nutshell the story being the Aerys going mad. There is a lot of depth behind it and a steady decrease of his mind/behavior.
For Dany, sure, she's suffered some hardship but she really had no reason to lose it on King's Landing's innocent civilians like that. None. Even her hate for Cersei is quite a bit unjustified.

It's stupid lazy writing. They thought it would be cool to make Dany into the Mad Queen and considering the massive lack of planning behind it to justify her reaction, I'm pretty sure this was improvised.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

1) Do not show people on brink of death, only to make them survive. We saw it with Tyrion in Episode 4 (sail falls on him, he's alive). We saw it with Arya in Episode 5 and we saw a ****load of it in Episode 3. I understand creating drama but why put Sam on brink of death crying on dead bodies only to make him survive? Kills the integrity.

I liked your Jaime and Dany stuff the most. I never bought what they gave us to explain her development and no doubt little things like what you explained built to that.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
That's the problem...is if you start looking into it, Dany turning mad really doesn't make any sense. She just flipped a switch..
I mean, she's had very minimal interraction with Cersei. She has close to no history with her. They just know of each other and they're just enemies because they both want the same the throne.

The Dragons are her babies. To me, there is nothing more important to her, just like for any Mother. The one thing they all care about is their children. Euron is the one that killed her dragon, how does she not circle back after destroying his fleet to make sure she burns the crap out of him is already a mystery to me.
So she turns to Cersei, fine, she wants that Throne and obviously payback for Missandei. But the hate for Cersei and the people of King's Landing is completely unjustified. Using Missandei's death to justify this is pathetically lame. I mean...who the **** are we talking about here...? Missandei? Her ****ing servant? What in the ****ing hell??
She's won pretty much every battle she's been in. She's a big reason why the NK is dead, she just destroyed her last real ''enemy'' and now has the Throne. But hey, it would really really really be cool if she just flipped a switch and go bonkers right??? Ya! Let's do it!

It just doesn't make sense.

Contrast that to her father. Aerys started out as a very good King. For the first decade or so, he ruled fairly, people loved him. He was however, vain and egotistical. So he started become jealous of Tywin Lannister, his hand, as some people were claiming he was the real one leading the country. He even cut out the tongue of someone for saying Tywin is the real leader. And then he gets captured for 6 months, barely escaping with his life. That starts the major status of paranoia. He starts thinking everyone around him is out to get him. Even Rhaegar. His mental state keeps worsening and towards the end, you're talking about a lot of back stories justifying and explaining his psyche. Finally, he decides to set fire to the city as he's gone full dellusional thinking he will raise out of it as an actual Dragon.

From what I read, that is in a nutshell the story being the Aerys going mad. There is a lot of depth behind it and a steady decrease of his mind/behavior.
For Dany, sure, she's suffered some hardship but she really had no reason to lose it on King's Landing's innocent civilians like that. None. Even her hate for Cersei is quite a bit unjustified.

It's stupid lazy writing. They thought it would be cool to make Dany into the Mad Queen and considering the massive lack of planning behind it to justify her reaction, I'm pretty sure this was improvised.

Sad thing is there was a LOT of content and info of all the seasons in Game of Throne to use for Dany to become that. What we saw in Season 8 was artificial stuff that did not justify it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

1) Eliminate first two episodes, create a 20min intro before ''The Long Night'' just as they did for ''The Bells'' and let this be episode 1.

2) Let the Long night actually....be long. Make two episodes out of it if necessary. Jon riding a dragon? No thanks. But do have him fight the NK at some point and when it looks like he's losing, make Dany swoop in to torch the NK...then finding out he's resistent. When she sees that and the NK retaliates by throwing a spear at her Dragon but miss, she backs off scared to lose another one to him again.

3) After that, let the battle develop where the NK and Bran also have an interaction, where Bran says he knows who he is. When the NK touches him, maybe they both warg in the past, explaining the history, the WW generals, and reason why the NK wants to erase the world.

4) Euron does not successfully kill a dragon by surprising Dany during a careless joy ride in the clouds. He misses, Dany destroys his fleet right there and then.

5) Cersei gives in to the demands of surrender.

6) Cersei does what she does best, thinks of a coniving plan. Going head to head in vs a Dragon is just dumb and Cersei is anything but dumb. She is however, very smart. She has a back up plan, and that will lead to the death of Dany, one or two of her Dragons as well.

7) As this unfolds, a special group she had already assembled with the Mountain leading the well frees her from captivity.

8) Both sides regroup, Dothrakis leave as they don't care about any of it without Dany. Unsillied being lead by Greyworm want revenge so they join the North Men in a now more even sided battle. Jon gets more help with Tormund, Brienne and the likes.

9) North Men - Unsullied win the fight, Jamie dies at the hands of Bronn as he was on his way to kill Cersei who was being guarded by The Mountain and Bronn. Arya comes in to kill Bronn after, The Hound and Mountain go at it as well. Cersei is captured by Arya. Brought back to Winterfell for Sansa to watch her execution. Tyrion is given the Throne. Varys still alive. Brienne, Hound, Mountain, Dany, dead from battles as well.

It goes without saying that none of the ridiculous scenes that you mentioned, like a beam falling on Tyrion but he's fine, never happen.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Sad thing is there was a LOT of content and info of all the seasons in Game of Throne to use for Dany to become that. What we saw in Season 8 was artificial stuff that did not justify it.
That's why I say it must have been improvised. If this was the plan from the beginning, or heck, even just 2-3 seasons ago, then they could have developped that storyline so easily. Instead they just pulled it out of nowhere.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I saw Detective Pikachu yesterday

It's actually good

I hoped it wouldn't be childish and in a room full of children laughing at bad jokes. It wasn't. The CGI pokemons felt weird at times though

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Based on how things have transpired so far this season (GOT), I gotta say, I'm not really looking forward to the final episode. I anticipate the story moving along quickly at the beginning to allow for time to wrap things up.
- dany killed, or flies home on dragon
- snow declines throne
- gendry claims throne, arya by his side

Before this season, i thought the battle with the WW would tie in directly to the battle at KL. Instead, the battle was fought and done with. They hinted that the tired army wasn't ready to go to KL, that it would somehow impact the battle there, but it didn't. The army was none the worse for wear. Even the Dothraki seemed to recoup their numbers (didn't most die?).

Such an intricate story, yet most of it didn't factor in to the final outcome. What was the point of the WW? Bran and the 3 eyed raven? What was the point of all of Arya's training - just to play fight Brienne and sneak up on the NK?
Instead of it all tying together at the end, it's just rushed.

In retrospect, Dany didn't have to assemble an army. She could have just flown to KL on her dragon and taken over the Red Keep / throne.

Reactions: Kimota

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

Small changes just over EP 5 and a little before.
- when the dragon is shot down over the water, have Dany circle around behind the fleet and destroy it then and there. The fleet and sword fight on the beach were useless in EP 5.
- in the battle, have Dany and dragon destroy the scorpions and open the gates, then set her sights on the Red Keep.
- Cersei, in the window of the Red Keep, defiantly stands face to face with hovering Dany and dragon, using herself as bait.
- scorpions are revealed in adjacent windows, and fired, wounding the dragon. This is where Dany flies about in a rage, burning what she can.
- Cersei is flushed out to take cover. They run into Arya and the Hound. Battle between the brothers, and Arya dispenses the 4 guards, then kills Cersei.
- if there's a plan for Dany, let her survive the fall. Otherwise, let her fall under her dragon. A fitting way to die, rather than a revenge stabbing.

/ EP5

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Some of the stuff on reddit freefolk is really great
op04stst0hy21.jpg

54nbhanbvgy21.png

And because they completely forgot about her:

4lssro5vzfy21.jpg

Reactions: Redux91

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Based on how things have transpired so far this season (GOT), I gotta say, I'm not really looking forward to the final episode. I anticipate the story moving along quickly at the beginning to allow for time to wrap things up.
- dany killed, or flies home on dragon
- snow declines throne
- gendry claims throne, arya by his side

Before this season, i thought the battle with the WW would tie in directly to the battle at KL. Instead, the battle was fought and done with. They hinted that the tired army wasn't ready to go to KL, that it would somehow impact the battle there, but it didn't. The army was none the worse for wear. Even the Dothraki seemed to recoup their numbers (didn't most die?).

Such an intricate story, yet most of it didn't factor in to the final outcome. What was the point of the WW? Bran and the 3 eyed raven? What was the point of all of Arya's training - just to play fight Brienne and sneak up on the NK?
Instead of it all tying together at the end, it's just rushed.

In retrospect, Dany didn't have to assemble an army. She could have just flown to KL on her dragon and taken over the Red Keep / throne.

If Jon refuses the throne, it means Robert's claim is null. Gendry cant get the tgrone if Jon is recognized as Aegon Targaryen

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

At the beginning of the series, it made sense to assemble an army, she would have had the entire 7 Kingdoms against her.

With everything that happened, King's Landing lost the North, the Vale, Riverrun, the Reach, Dorne and the Stormlands to protect the crown.

At the end, Cersei only had part of the Iron Fleet, the Golden Company, the King's Guard and maybe some of what was left of Lannister army to protect her.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The Night King's music debut. :) Video contains spoilers from episode 3 so if you haven't seen episode 3 yet you've been warned.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I saw Detective Pikachu yesterday

It's actually good

I hoped it wouldn't be childish and in a room full of children laughing at bad jokes. It wasn't. The CGI pokemons felt weird at times though
Used to love the games and tv show when I was young. This will be a nostalgic movie for me. I'm glad they did it right.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
If Jon refuses the throne, it means Robert's claim is null. Gendry cant get the tgrone if Jon is recognized as Aegon Targaryen

Perhaps this is what will give significance to the letters Varys wrote ... in particular, if and where they go.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Just for those who arent aware lol, but the Prequel Series for Game of Thrones will be tackling the whole White Walker origin, so thats basically why it seemed so "abrupt" for Season 8.

Everyone keeps demanding answers for the WW arc, well we havent gotten them because its the foundation of the next series. It will probably focus on the first "Long Night" as its culmination, Whole thing should focus heavily on the Starks of previous generations and the true origins of the White Walkers.

Having said all that, they still should of made the last 2 seasons 20 episodes... For everyone cast and crew to have given so much for 6/7 years to see it ALMOST fall apart at the end...ONLY because of pacing.. it looks like it will be forever a slight blemish on otherwise great series

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Your notion of villain and hero is skewed by the show/books though. The Starks are not villain, they are merely caught in the cross-fires over and over, theyre not even hero, theyre victims. The Lannisters are a powerful house that use their power in a political way to gain even more influence, they are nor heroes nor villains, they are politicians.

Robert isn't a hero, he's a villain, he comes and "liberates" the city of their rightful ruler because he lost his wife to his son, thats laughable lol.
Rhaegar isn't a villain, he's just a dude that was in love with a girl that was already betrothed.

Since then ? It's mostly back to everyday life, with lords fighting like lords fight. It's basically medieval times, and there's no actual villain in there, just people seeking more political power.

The war of the five kings is weird, there's the King in the north, Robb, who doesn't really have a claim for the throne but goes for it because his dad died.. Which is... Yes, it's okay. I guess Robb is a hero.
Stannis is the "rightful" heir to the Usurper, which makes his case weird.
Renly doesn't have a case, he's a villain.
Balon Greyjoy didn't have a huge role but he clearly is a villain, if he choses to invade a foreign country/state/wtv.
Joffrey is a teenager, and yes, he's vile, but he hasn't really done anything but be mean to the Starks.

Dany though. She grows up to be a power-hungry woman. She kills people left and right, hundreds, and she does it for one single purpose, power.

Now thats a villain.

It's hypocritical to say that all the others are just lords fighting like lords fighting to gain political power but that Danny is a villain because she killed people in pursuit of power. The Lannisters killed tons of people with the single purpose being to gain power but somehow it's just lords being lords, when Dany does the exact same thing she's a villain.

And for the record wiping out innocent civilians was extremely common tactic by lords.
Here's just one example, but it was a timeless strategy used to suppress rebellion.
Harrying of the North - Wikipedia

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

That's exactly why I stopped watching the show (in season 2) and why I'm not sure I'll watch it again. Aegon Targaryen is not Jon Snow. I'm still a bit pis*** that he isn't in the show as he should be. I don't know why GRRRM let the whole Jon Snow is Aegon happen neither. Anyway, Aegon, the real baby of Rhaegar and his wife is really alive in the books. He wasn't thrown by the Mountain against a wall. It was part of Varys' plot to send the baby away and to come back along Danaerys to conquer King's Landing (probably as King and Queen).
Aegon Targaryen (son of Rhaegar)

Used to love the games and tv show when I was young. This will be a nostalgic movie for me. I'm glad they did it right.

Yes! I also watched a bit of the first season when it came out. I played the first few games because they were kinda fun. I tried watching the first season again a few years ago but it really was unbearable haha... The movie was alright aside from some CGI moments. Especially near the end when Pikachu runs away through grass, it felt soooo wrong. Charmanders were also sketchy. Anyhow, I enjoyed it but I'm not sure I'll watch it again.

Reactions: DangerDave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad