OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Headline: Liam Neeson thinks something stupid out of anger, does nothing and realizes how stupid he is.

That's how I see it.

If it were a story where he had to be restrained or actually did it I'd be more concerned.

Reactions: Redux91

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
1. No I didn't. I literally just bolded words in your own post that directly contradict eachother.
And you spun them to read what you wanted them to read...that me using the term "whitesplainin" was racist. Which is completely ridiculous.

But I mean, I don't care...call me racist if you want. I know who I am, you don't define me and i'm not afraid of such label.

2. Provide better stats then or even acknowledge ozy's link? No? Gonna dodge that for a 4th time? :laugh:
I've been too busy dealing with your endorsement of Neeson as a humanitarian, I haven't had a chance to read the link...i've bookmarked it though.

3. There's no anger to direct at the Liam Neeson story because he's not doing anything wrong right now outside acknowledging a past mistake. If the article was 'Liam neeson plans black hunting parties every thursday night', I'd be right there with you with the pitchfork.
Oh so the fact that it's an old story and not in the present, makes it OK?? lol

I mean...can you make my argument any easier for me??? lol

Let's ignore that someone had homicidal thoughts and tendencies for an entire race, because he apparently doesn't have them anymore.

What a man Liam Neeson is...someone erect a statue of him in the south and drape him with a confederate flag lol Robert Lee needs a successor.

4. Keep doubling down on racist epithets. You can't explain how it's not racist because you know it is. You have all the platform in the world to explain yourself on any numbers of these points that you keep running away from the chance.
There's nothing racist about that...you clearly have no concept of what racism is or what "whitesplaining" means. Perhaps its the word "white" that's triggering you.

Again, if only you were as triggered about the hunting of innocent black people...

You don't address any points or argue in good faith, you're just here to be angry at something there's nothing to be angry about and you can't properly express yourself so you resort to insulting others and making assumptions of their life experiences.
Yep...there's absolutely nothing to be angry about here. Totally normal to want to kill innocent people for the actions of one person. I mean seriously, who among us hasn't wanted to hunt and kill innocent black people for the actions of one person?? What's important here is that Liam Neeson learned a lesson.

What I should really be upset at is "whitesplaining"...there's the real victims lol

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
How do you figure? I never made an issue about it...it wasn't me who reported it, I never harbored any ill will towards you then or now.

We've had several exchanges since, some good, most bad...

If I was truly offended, I'd have never addressed you again.

So I think you got that wrong...again, I initially took it as a slight because of the way the conversation was going...you explained where you were coming from and I was fine with it, it wasn't me who took the most offense to that.

You can call me whatever the hell you want...i'm good.

Still, you instinctively knee-jerked towards racism right after I posted that, as the other user, who I have to assume to be black, or at the very least knew you were black, also had the same knee-jerk.

You had a triggered reaction back then and what we are seeing now, although a lot of what you say is on point and genuine, is still another time you seem to get triggered and overeact. That's what OL is saying. It's what I am saying.

Reactions: cajmonkey

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Still, you instinctively knee-jerked towards racism right after I posted that, as the other user, who I have to assume to be black, or at the very least knew you were black, also had the same knee-jerk.

You had a triggered reaction back then and what we are seeing now, although a lot of what you say is on point and genuine, is still another time you seem to get triggered and overeact. That's what OL is saying. It's what I am saying.

He did...not me.

I'm pretty sure I just bolded the word "boy" and added an "lol". I wasn't nearly as bothered by that as you seem to think. I couldn't careless how you meant it. It doesn't matter to me.

Edit - also what OL is saying is that I shouldn't care about a public figure admitting he wanted to kill innocent people because of their race. What I should strive for is the eradication of the term "whitesplaining". Beacuse THAT'S what really is causing racial divide.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
"We analyzed key individual, family, and neighborhood factors to assess competing hypotheses regarding racial/ethnic gaps in perpetrating violence. From 1995 to 2002, we collected 3 waves of data on 2974 participants aged 18 to 25 years living in 180 Chicago neighborhoods, augmented by a separate community survey of 8782 Chicago residents.
The odds of perpetrating violence were 85% higher for Blacks compared with Whites, whereas Latino-perpetrated violence was 10% lower. Yet the majority of the Black–White gap (over 60%) and the entire Latino–White gap were explained primarily by the marital status of parents, immigrant generation, and dimensions of neighborhood social context. The results imply that generic interventions to improve neighborhood conditions and support families may reduce racial gaps in violence.
The public health of the United States has long been compromised by inequality in the burden of personal violence. Blacks are 6 times more likely than Whites to die by homicide,1 a crime that is overwhelmingly intraracial in nature"

This is the dangerous world black people live in, social inequality, exactly what I previously asserted. Stratification and division that causes further divisions even among races themselves, fighting for scrapes, living in the toxic stress of poverty

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/10.2105/AJPH.2004.037705

This is but one study made in Chicago. The NCBI is repleet with similar studies. This is very well known phenomena now in public health, and the fact people still argue over non-causal factors is telling of how much work still needs to be done for the general population to understand the fundamentals of the problem.

Last edited:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
And you spun them to read what you wanted them to read...that me using the term "whitesplainin" was racist. Which is completely ridiculous.

But I mean, I don't care...call me racist if you want. I know who I am, you don't define me and i'm not afraid of such label.

I've been too busy dealing with your endorsement of Neeson as a humanitarian, I haven't had a chance to read the link...i've bookmarked it though.

Oh so the fact that it's an old story and not in the present, makes it OK?? lol

I mean...can you make my argument any easier for me??? lol

Let's ignore that someone had homicidal thoughts and tendencies for an entire race, because he apparently doesn't have them anymore.

What a man Liam Neeson is...someone erect a statue of him in the south and drape him with a confederate flag lol Robert Lee needs a successor.

There's nothing racist about that...you clearly have no concept of what racism is or what "whitesplaining" means. Perhaps its the word "white" that's triggering you.

Again, if only you were as triggered about the hunting of innocent black people...

Yep...there's absolutely nothing to be angry about here. Totally normal to want to kill innocent people for the actions of one person. I mean seriously, who among us hasn't wanted to hunt and kill innocent black people for the actions of one person?? What's important here is that Liam Neeson learned a lesson.

What I should really be upset at is "whitesplaining"...there's the real victims lol

All that and still no explanation on how the term isn't racist. Curious. A term that seeks to group together people by their skin color doesn't qualify as racist to you? You just keep calling it ridiculous but can't argue it, which is most of your post at this point, honestly.

Sure, endorsement as humanitarian. :laugh: More nonsense.

It's not just that it's an 'old story', it's also that literally nothing happened. You're literally getting mad about NOTHING happening 15 years ago. It's also about the fact that the entire point of the admission was to specify that it was a messed up way to think. What do you want your anger to accomplish? Would you like to enact laws that stop people from walking around downtown angry? What's your proposed solution rather than just getting angry and telling white people they don't know what they're talking about. That anger's a problem, you know.

Nobody is saying it's 'normal to want to kill innocent people'. Again, for the 1000th time, the entire point of the article is the opposite of that. There's no coverage of this story that you can find that seeks to spread the (mis?)conception that black people are more likely to commit rape than anyone else. If you can, find us some quotes and we can re-assess. The only people bringing in quotes, stats, figures and objective data are against you, though, so I can see why you're reluctant to dive into the truth and continue hiding in your victim complex.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
"We analyzed key individual, family, and neighborhood factors to assess competing hypotheses regarding racial/ethnic gaps in perpetrating violence. From 1995 to 2002, we collected 3 waves of data on 2974 participants aged 18 to 25 years living in 180 Chicago neighborhoods, augmented by a separate community survey of 8782 Chicago residents.
The odds of perpetrating violence were 85% higher for Blacks compared with Whites, whereas Latino-perpetrated violence was 10% lower. Yet the majority of the Black–White gap (over 60%) and the entire Latino–White gap were explained primarily by the marital status of parents, immigrant generation, and dimensions of neighborhood social context. The results imply that generic interventions to improve neighborhood conditions and support families may reduce racial gaps in violence.
The public health of the United States has long been compromised by inequality in the burden of personal violence. Blacks are 6 times more likely than Whites to die by homicide,1 a crime that is overwhelmingly intraracial in nature"

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/10.2105/AJPH.2004.037705

This is but one study made in Chicago. The NCBI is repleet with similar studies. This is very well known phenomena now in public health, and the fact people still argue over non-causal factors is telling of how much work still needs to be done for the general population to understand the fundamentals of the problem.
Thanks for the link - I will read it later.

I wonder how much these studies take into consideration the many factors that have lead for these stats to be so heavily skewed?

How much does the legacy of slavery and segregation play a factor into these stats?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Thanks for the link - I will read it later.

I wonder how much these studies take into consideration the many factors that have lead for these stats to be so heavily skewed?

Social inequality, stratification and classism. All symptoms of the monetary system. It is recognized in modern social and biological sciences, just not in the mass media.

Don't worry, most people know it's NOT because of some inherent genetic flaw. It's environmental.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
All that and still no explanation on how the term isn't racist. Curious. A term that seeks to group together people by their skin color doesn't qualify as racist to you? You just keep calling it ridiculous but can't argue it, which is most of your post at this point, honestly.
So what you're saying is that any term that groups people together by their skin color is racist?

Really?

So when I said "Blacks"...its racist?

Please come off this or reshape your argument.

Sure, endorsement as humanitarian. :laugh: More nonsense.
Agreed - it's totally nonsense, but that's what you're doing.

It's not just that it's an 'old story', it's also that literally nothing happened. You're literally getting mad about NOTHING happening 15 years ago. It's also about the fact that the entire point of the admission was to specify that it was a messed up way to think. What do you want your anger to accomplish? Would you like to enact laws that stop people from walking around downtown angry? What's your proposed solution rather than just getting angry and telling white people they don't know what they're talking about. That anger's a problem, you know.
Ahh...so because he didn't succeed in his attempt to murder innocent black people.

It's all good.

But again...me saying "whitesplaining"...

Thats the real crime lol

Like are you just writing this for me???

Nobody is saying it's 'normal to want to kill innocent people'. Again, for the 1000th time, the entire point of the article is the opposite of that. There's no coverage of this story that you can find that seeks to spread the (mis?)conception that black people are more likely to commit rape than anyone else. If you can, find us some quotes and we can re-assess. The only people bringing in quotes, stats, figures and objective data are against you, though, so I can see why you're reluctant to dive into the truth and continue hiding in your victim complex.
I'd love to dive into the truth - not sure you can handle it though.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Social inequality, stratification and classism. All symptoms of the monetary system. It is recognized in modern social and biological sciences, just not in the mass media.
Ok...then what do these stats really mean?

Is there another racial group in the United States that was involuntarily brought over to the U.S. as slaves, only to be emancipated from slavery but given no land or economic base to work off of?

I mean European settlers were brought to the US and given millions of acres of land.

These stats are all well and good but they are skewed and they don't take into considerations events that are centuries old that are still reverberating today. There is no other comparable to do this, in the U.S.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
So what you're saying is that any term that groups people together by their skin color is racist?

Really?

So when I said "Blacks"...its racist?

Please come off this or reshape your argument.

Agreed - it's totally nonsense, but that's what you're doing.

Ahh...so because he didn't succeed in his attempt to murder innocent black people.

It's all good.

Thats the real crime lol

I'd love to dive into the truth - not sure you can handle it though.

You're being purposely obtuse now and it's obvious. Please grow up. The entire reason you're mad is because there's a chance people might interpret the article as linking 'the blacks' as being rapists. Is 'the blacks' (as a term) racists in this sense? Or is it the communication of the thought that a group of a particular ethnicity have to act a certain way because of said ethnicity? 'Whitesplaining' is a term that communicates the thought that because of your skin color, you will think a certain way or have to hold certain opinions. Did anyone say anything about the word 'white', or was it specifically the word 'whitesplaining' ? Why the need to deflect to the word 'white' when you know that's not what this is about. Why don't you blacksplain what the word whitesplain means without it sounding like it matches the exact definition of racism? Go.

So what I'm doing is treating liam neeson as a hero? Please quote where I said that. All I said is that there's potential for good to come out of the admission. I care nothing for hollywood celebrities. They're used to trick people like you into boiling down complicated, multi faceted topics into bite sized, simplistic nonsense. If you can find me a present day celebrity who currently does what Liam Neeson was doing, we can talk about him/her next. I'd have no issue shitting on them.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Ok...then what do these stats really mean?

Is there another racial group in the United States that was involuntarily brought over to the U.S. as slaves, only to be emancipated from slavery but given no land or economic base to work off of?

I mean European settlers were brought to the US and given millions of acres of land.

These stats are all well and good but they are skewed and they don't take into considerations events that are centuries old that are still reverberating today. There is no other comparable to do this, in the U.S.

Slavery didn't happen for the hispanics, yet you see the same phenomenon with them in the US (poverty, inequality and intraracial violence).

If you want to make it all about the history of slavery go ahead. It goes further than that. It has to do with the principle of power and those who weild it, everything else is a consequence of that. It's no more disgusting than what was done to the Aztecs by the conquistadors, or the native american genocides, whether in the US or Canada.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You're being purposely obtuse now and it's obvious. Please grow up. The entire reason you're mad is because there's a chance people might interpret the article as linking 'the blacks' as being rapists. Is 'the blacks' (as a term) racists in this sense? Or is it the communication of the thought that a group of a particular ethnicity have to act a certain way because of said ethnicity? 'Whitesplaining' is a term that communicates the thought that because of your skin color, you will think a certain way or have to hold certain opinions. Did anyone say anything about the word 'white', or was it specifically the word 'whitesplaining' ? Why the need to deflect to the word 'white' when you know that's not what this is about. Why don't you blacksplain what the word whitesplain means without it sounding like it matches the exact definition of racism? Go.
How am I being obtuse?

You literally JUST wrote that any term that seeks to group people together by their color, is racist.

YOU wrote this...not me.

You clearly have NO CONCEPT of what the term "whitesplaining" means...

Furthermore, the only reason i'm "mad" is because people can't help but rationalize behavior like this...Its not shocking.

So what I'm doing is treating liam neeson as a hero? Please quote where I said that. All I said is that there's potential for good to come out of the admission. I care nothing for hollywood celebrities. They're used to trick people like you into boiling down complicated, multi faceted topics into bite sized, simplistic nonsense. If you can find me a present day celebrity who currently does what Liam Neeson was doing, we can talk about him/her next. I'd have no issue ****ting on them.
You have no idea who I am...don't assume you know anything about me.

Also...there's ZERO good that's going to come out of this situation, as long as "people like you" continue to rationalize behaviour like Neeson's because "he's learned from it".

We don't need to care that he learned from it...what we need to do is learn why he associated the behavior of one person, with an entire racial base. That's what's important.

And despite what you may think...I fully comprehend that the reasons why are waaaaayyy deeper and more complex then just racism/color.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Slavery didn't happen for the hispanics, yet you see the same phenomenon with them in the US (poverty, inequality and intraracial violence).

If you want to make it all about the history of slavery go ahead. It goes further than that. It has to do with the principle of power and those who weild it, everything else is a consequence of that. It's no more disgusting than what was done to the Aztecs by the conquistadors, or the native american genocides, whether in the US or Canada.

Métis (which may have been included in your native genocides) also got shit on really hard here too, but you never hear much about that, especially in anglo schools.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
How am I being obtuse?

You literally JUST wrote that any term that seeks to group people together by their color, is racist.

YOU wrote this...not me.

You clearly have NO CONCEPT of what the term "whitesplaining" means...

Furthermore, the only reason i'm "mad" is because people can't help but rationalize behavior like this...Its not shocking.

You have no idea who I am...don't assume you know anything about me.

So that's the 5th, 6th time you won't define it yourself. That says everything about you. Someone has challenged you repeatedly and you keep bowing out like a coward. Define the word.

Nobody is rationalizing the violence/wish to do violence itself (out of possibly being understanding of the grieving process, but that still wouldn't justify/excuse any actual violence). The posts of mine you've quoted have specifically stated that I'd stand with you with a pitchfork if someone was going out and doing it. You're just straight up lying now and misrepresenting what I'm saying because you've painted yourself into a corner.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Oh it did...just in a different form. You don't to be in chains and links to be a slave.

I
f you want to make it all about the history of slavery go ahead. It goes further than that. It has to do with the principle of power and those who weild it, everything else is a consequence of that. It's no more disgusting than what was done to the Aztecs by the conquistadors, or the native american genocides, whether in the US or Canada.
If you're going to quote stats/studies, then you need to also take into consideration the proverbial 8 ball african americans were put behind as a result of said slavery. If you can't acknowledge the impact that has on these statistical analysis...then they are worthless.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

It's all good.

Thats the real crime lol

What attempt?

Attempted murder and "thinking evil thoughts" are two completely different things.

There was never an attempt, only a thought/desire.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Oh it did...just in a different form. You don't to be in chains and links to be a slave.

I
If you're going to quote stats/studies, then you need to also take into consideration the proverbial 8 ball african americans were put behind as a result of said slavery. If you can't acknowledge the impact that has on these statistical analysis...then they are worthless.

How did i not consider it when I'm telling you that the causal factor is the same, it's power and inequality.

How far behind the 8 ball do you think Native Americans are? They didn't live through the same institutionalized slavery, yet they're even further behind the 8 ball than black people are?

Way before there ever was black segregation in NA, there was Native American segregation and enslavement.

Racism is a form of classism, plain and simple

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So that's the 5th, 6th time you won't define it yourself. That says everything about you. Someone has challenged you repeatedly and you keep bowing out like a coward. Define the word.

Nobody is rationalizing the violence/wish to do violence itself (out of possibly being understanding of the grieving process, but that still wouldn't justify/excuse any actual violence). The posts of mine you've quoted have specifically stated that I'd stand with you with a pitchfork if someone was going out and doing it. You're just straight up lying now and misrepresenting what I'm saying because you've painted yourself into a corner.
You don't want to see it...and that's the very definition of it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How did i not consider it when I'm telling you that the causal factor is the same, it's power and inequality.

How far behind the 8 ball do you think Native Americans are? They didn't live through the same institutionalized slavery, yet they're even further behind the 8 ball than black people are?[
See this is what i'm talking about...

Have you seen me deny how far behind the 8 ball Native Americans are?

That's now what we're talking about here, why is there always a need a deflect/redirect???

Way before there ever was black segregation in NA, there was Native American segregation and enslavement.

Racism is a form of classism, plain and simple
We've established that black people aren't the only racial group that's been disenfranchised...I'm aware.

Now what does this have to do with Liam Neeson?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Métis (which may have been included in your native genocides) also got **** on really hard here too, but you never hear much about that, especially in anglo schools.
Do you wanna talk about it? Because we can?

Anything to take you away from Neeson, that's cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad