Let's talk about Aaron Ekblad

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
That was a different time. Players are peaking much earlier, including defensemen. Look at the impact guys like Heiskanen and Chabot have made at their young age for their teams. Look at how quickly someone like Klingberg or Werenski stepped into the league and produced.

Girard, Cholowski, Dahlin, etc., defensemen don't take longer to hit their stride anymore. There aren't many players hitting their prime at the age of 28 anymore.

lol I thought this for a while too. He was a tank as an 18 year old being drafted into the league and was physically mature as it was. I think that played a part in it.
defenseman do take longer to hit their stride and almost all defenseman peak in their later 20s....most of the ones that are great right now are in their late 20s..you don't have a point at all. 3-4 defenseman exceptions coming out early don't cancel the other 100 waiting to get their first NHL game or real rookie seasons. None of the guys you mention aren't even close to their peaks.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Yeah and they are still doing better than Ekblad usually.
Not really. Yandle, yeah I'll give you that, he's had a really good season points wise. Matheson, not so much. But Ekblad is the #1 overall pick and in the spotlight, so unless he has a substantially better season, then perception wise he's doing worse.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Not really. Yandle, yeah I'll give you that, he's had a really good season points wise. Matheson, not so much. But Ekblad is the #1 overall pick and in the spotlight, so unless he has a substantially better season, then perception wise he's doing worse.
That's fair, you also probably have more awareness than I do on your team so I apologize if I seemed brash. My perception of Matheson is obviously a bit skewed after watching what we pulled on the Bruins last week but I do hope Ekblad keeps building on his play this year, his confidence has definitely improved on the ice and like I said he shows flashes of amazing play.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
I have no facts to back this up but my feeling has always been this guy is a cocky arrogant semi
Gutless player. Phenom as a young guy only 1 of 3 players granted exceptional status think it’s gone to his head. Like I said I have zero real proof of this, just don’t like his effort levels out there. Always thought he could do more. I could be dead wrong tho

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I have no facts to back this up but my feeling has always been this guy is a cocky arrogant semi
Gutless player. Phenom as a young guy only 1 of 3 players granted exceptional status think it’s gone to his head. Like I said I have zero real proof of this, just don’t like his effort levels out there. Always thought he could do more. I could be dead wrong tho

Yeah, you're probably dead wrong on this. I'd like to know how you figure hes cocky and arrogant and also "gutless" any youtube videos?

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I've watched every Cats game this year and been to about 4, Ekblad will have flashes of brilliance and sometimes jumps in the play or has a defensive breakup that is perfect but if you focus on him for a longer period he falls short and you can see his iq lagging behind Yandle or Matheson.
The only thing Matheson has over Ekblad is his skating. Matheson's hockey IQ is about zero. Ekblad is so much better.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
The issue with Ekblad is simple. He is not a good skater and seems to never work on improving his skating. That holds him back because the game keeps getting faster. If he was a good skater he'd be a #1 D. Right now he is a top pairing D most nights. He has one of the best shots in the league for a d-man and will always be around 15-18 goals a year.

If he ever improved his skating he would be a legit #1

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
No facts align nicely with this being completely wrong

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
He is probably about 50th ranked on the Norris ballot this year so I can safely safe his chances of winning are 0.0%

He looked great as a rookie but concussions have stalled his career growth which kind of sucks.
No. His skating has stalled his career growth.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Yeah, you're probably dead wrong on this. I'd like to know how you figure hes cocky and arrogant and also "gutless" any youtube videos?

My gut feelings are usually right. Preseason max domi, ekblad chirping him all game then when 5’10 domi wanted to fight ekblad looking to the ref for help. Got what he deserved in my opinion. That’s probably where it stems from. Should have been more of a man there. I like guys that accept no shit from no one. he just doesn’t seem like one of those players. And you can look through my post history there are very very very few players I dislike. Wouldn’t even say I dislike him but he’s on my radar. Wanna see what he does next time they play each other. When ur 6’4 you gotta do something

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
His best year was arguably his rookie year, he’s not a 1D and I doubt he ever wins a Norris unless he drastically improves. Bad contract too. That about sums it up

He was the most sheltered player in the history of pro sports, during his rookie year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The issue with Ekblad is simple. He is not a good skater and seems to never work on improving his skating. That holds him back because the game keeps getting faster. If he was a good skater he'd be a #1 D. Right now he is a top pairing D most nights. He has one of the best shots in the league for a d-man and will always be around 15-18 goals a year.

If he ever improved his skating he would be a legit #1

Shea Weber upside? Weber's never been known as a particularly good skater, either. Though I suppose Weber's "prime" was when the league still didn't emphasize speed as much as today.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Just watched him lose his man on a Florida powerplay and give up a SHG, so that's not a great look.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
He is still very young. I think his skating is holding back his potential in the NHL quite a bit

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
The fact that he was already physically mature (6'4, 215) at 18 should have been a red flag as far as his upside was concerned. Most dmen come in the league not particularly big. I think Karlsson was 165 in his rookie season. Chara must've been only 220 or so, he looked extremely lanky in his Islander days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad