Let's talk about Aaron Ekblad

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
He's alot better then people give him credit for. He lost a good year due to concussion issues. Even if he played he was fighting it on the ice. Let's give the guy till he's in his mid 20s before we claim what he is. Right now there's good to great games and then some bad ones. Sounds like alot of dmen with offensive ability.. kid scored tho

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I heard he was bitten by a rabid fox or something like that and got rabies for a few months recently. Maybe in the summer.
This can't be true, rabies is 100% fatal, if he had actually gotten rabies he would be dead. You can be vaccinated within a week of being bitten by a rabid animal but if you have reached the point of developing symptoms or had it for a few months like you said, there is no cure and you will die.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's been awesome for a couple of years now. And he saw young as ****.

Not every defenseman needs to win a Norris to justify being picked #1 or high in the draft, or having high pay. He's Florida's building block on d, one of their youngest core players, and won't enter his peak for another 5-6 years.

No he hasn't.

He's been a massive disappointment.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
This can't be true, rabies is 100% fatal, if he had actually gotten rabies he would be dead. You can be vaccinated within a week of being bitten by a rabid animal but if you have reached the point of developing symptoms there is no cure and you will die.
That's not completely true. Almost always fatal without vaccination, yes. But there have been a small handful of people who survived after the symptoms began to show.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
That's not completely true. Almost always fatal without vaccination, yes. But there have been a small handful of people who survived after the symptoms began to show.
So 99.9% fatal, and Ekblad isn't one of those people.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
So 99.9% fatal, and Ekblad isn't one of those people.
Right. Who is to say he wasn't vaccinated?

For the record, this is the first I'm hearing of Ekblad having rabies, and of course I'm skeptical, but if he was exposed to it one would have to think that a professional athlete with the kind of medical monitoring he goes through would be vaccinated pretty quick.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
22 years old

ok and? Doesn't going to mean he'll keep improving. He came into the league in a man's body. He's physically not getting better. He's in his fifth season. I don't see him making major leaps in the next three years, particularly in Florida.

seancolorado

Oct 8, 2011
It’s a new era dog. Players are hitting their peaks younger and younger, and yes even defencmen.

Lots of players, defenseman included, also see their best years well after 22 years old. Some players can transition more quickly than others, other blueliners need to pass that 400-500+ game mark to truly understand the ebbs and flows of the NHL

Like Claypool said above though, none of this means he will improve. But it doesn't mean also that he won't carve out a long, steady career

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Ekblad is a 22 year old defenceman who just passed his 300th NHL game. Who knows what he can or will develop into still but assuming this is the best he will ever be is maybe a bit premature.

In regards to his draft status, he very well may turn out to be a disappointment for a 1st overall pick. Certainly not a Crosby but also not a Yakupov either.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Right. Who is to say he wasn't vaccinated?

For the record, this is the first I'm hearing of Ekblad having rabies, and of course I'm skeptical, but if he was exposed to it one would have to think that a professional athlete with the kind of medical monitoring he goes through would be vaccinated pretty quick.

My whole point was that the person who posted it said he had rabies for months.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Players like Keith, Campbell, Chats, Lidstrom, etc all peaked later in their careers, most defensemen do. Points seem to peak earlier but play is different I find.

That was a different time. Players are peaking much earlier, including defensemen. Look at the impact guys like Heiskanen and Chabot have made at their young age for their teams. Look at how quickly someone like Klingberg or Werenski stepped into the league and produced.

Girard, Cholowski, Dahlin, etc., defensemen don't take longer to hit their stride anymore. There aren't many players hitting their prime at the age of 28 anymore.

He's a player who peaked early physically.

The beard was a give away.

lol I thought this for a while too. He was a tank as an 18 year old being drafted into the league and was physically mature as it was. I think that played a part in it.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He had an outstanding year as an 18 year old and since then, he didn't really progress or or decline,if you ask me. I recall watching a Panthers game at Rogers Arena I forgot was he 18 or 19, he looked like a 15 year NHL veteran. top 2 NHL calibre dman no doubt about it.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
It was a great hype around him. Has he been making progress since his rookie year? When he gets his first Norris? Any chance this season?

He is probably about 50th ranked on the Norris ballot this year so I can safely safe his chances of winning are 0.0%

He looked great as a rookie but concussions have stalled his career growth which kind of sucks.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
This can't be true, rabies is 100% fatal, if he had actually gotten rabies he would be dead. You can be vaccinated within a week of being bitten by a rabid animal but if you have reached the point of developing symptoms or had it for a few months like you said, there is no cure and you will die.
Well it was a mild case

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Skating is the one thing holding him back, it’s tough to be an elite D as an average to below average skater.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Exactly, although he won't ever win the Norris. He came into the league with a boom, but he won't ever meet expectations. However he's still a solid #2 who has room to grow.
22 and won't ever win the norris? Give me that crystal ball. This is giving me flashbacks of hedman. But hey, at 22 he is what he iso_O

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It’s a new era dog. Players are hitting their peaks younger and younger, and yes even defencmen.
You certainly have proof for that league ad about peaking earlier?

I always read it and wonder if people ever bother to check.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I've watched every Cats game this year and been to about 4, Ekblad will have flashes of brilliance and sometimes jumps in the play or has a defensive breakup that is perfect but if you focus on him for a longer period he falls short and you can see his iq lagging behind Yandle or Matheson.
Oh god no. Especially Matheson. Those two will make some of the most murderously bad god awful plays you will ever see.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Right now, he's okay for a top pairing defenseman. I'm still hoping that he develops into an all-star caliber player; more apt for a first overall pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->