Let's talk about Aaron Ekblad

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
It was a great hype around him. Has he been making progress since his rookie year? When he gets his first Norris? Any chance this season?
His best year was arguably his rookie year, he’s not a 1D and I doubt he ever wins a Norris unless he drastically improves. Bad contract too. That about sums it up

Reactions: DriveFor9th

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
He's been awesome for a couple of years now. And he saw young as f***.

Not every defenseman needs to win a Norris to justify being picked #1 or high in the draft, or having high pay. He's Florida's building block on d, one of their youngest core players, and won't enter his peak for another 5-6 years.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
I've watched every Cats game this year and been to about 4, Ekblad will have flashes of brilliance and sometimes jumps in the play or has a defensive breakup that is perfect but if you focus on him for a longer period he falls short and you can see his iq lagging behind Yandle or Matheson.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
he's a solid #2D. got a lot of hype (and a big contract) due to being 1st overall but he hasn't met expectations at all.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
He looked like a different player after he came back from his injury. Not in a good way.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Panthers ruined him. Kid can't develop properly due to playing for a mickey mouse club with a losing culture and attitude.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
He's been awesome for a couple of years now. And he saw young as ****.

Not every defenseman needs to win a Norris to justify being picked #1 or high in the draft, or having high pay. He's Florida's building block on d, one of their youngest core players, and won't enter his peak for another 5-6 years.
Your timeline is a little off. He should be entering his prime in the next year or two not just entering at the age of 28.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Players like Keith, Campbell, Chats, Lidstrom, etc all peaked later in their careers, most defensemen do. Points seem to peak earlier but play is different I find.

Got no idea who “Chats” is (typo?) but what do the other guys have in common? None of them were top-10 picks. Defensemen picked in the top-10 peak earlier.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Got no idea who “Chats” is (typo?) but what do the other guys have in common? None of them were top-10 picks. Defensemen picked in the top-10 peak earlier.

Sorry, it was Chara. And I don't put much stock into draft position, but just me, and I don't expect others to agree with that. Point is, those were all elite d that peaked later, do you want a guy like Eric Johnson? He wasn't nearly as good at 23 as he is now.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sorry, it was Chara. And I don't put much stock into draft position, but just me, and I don't expect others to agree with that. Point is, those were all elite d that peaked later, do you want a guy like Eric Johnson? He wasn't nearly as good at 23 as he is now.

Erik Johnson is a much better comparison. I think he’s Ekblad’s best case, and Johnson isn’t really all that.

All the elite D I can think of that peaked after 28 were guys who were drafted in the second half of the first round or later, or even undrafted. Think Brent Burns, Dan Boyle, all four of the guys you mentioned. If you can think of a defenseman drafted in the top-5 that became elite after the age of 28, I’d love to hear it. I can’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad