Let's talk #1 PP... How to get Kane going!

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
If you're out on the power play on this team's first unit, every position is a skill position but people are oversimplifying it to just when the team is set up. You need to be skillful and patient on the breakout, the zone entry, and puck retrievals as well. All these things that Kane does not do well in that situation. Also, for whatever it's worth, I disagree with you regarding Burns. In most situations and occasionally on the power play he can be too quick on the trigger but he has consistently shown patience with the puck and vision on how he passes or shoots on the power play.

While this is true it is also true that Kane is, in fact, a highly skilled NHL player. We oversimplify things but saying he can't play with skilled players or at a skilled position on the PP.

My point is that Kane doesn't have the ideal make up to have the PP run through him. If he is used on the 1st unit his skill set suggests it should be down low.

At many times over last season, Burns appeared to be forcing the point shot on the PP. When he gets the puck the entire league knows he is looking for a lane to shoot and if there is one he will take it. I am not even saying this is a bad thing, it is actually similar to Thornton primarily looking to pass.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
While this is true it is also true that Kane is, in fact, a highly skilled NHL player. We oversimplify things but saying he can't play with skilled players or at a skilled position on the PP.

My point is that Kane doesn't have the ideal make up to have the PP run through him. If he is used on the 1st unit his skill set suggests it should be down low.

At many times over last season, Burns appeared to be forcing the point shot on the PP. When he gets the puck the entire league knows he is looking for a lane to shoot and if there is one he will take it. I am not even saying this is a bad thing, it is actually similar to Thornton primarily looking to pass.

He's proven time and time again over the years that he's simply not good at the situation for whatever reason you want to come up with. He's never had a power play run through him. He's simply not good at being a contributing member to a power play. As for Burns, yeah he will force shots on the power play. Every guy in his spot does that but he's also shown an incredible amount of patience with the puck in those situations which is why you can't compare him to Kane because he is not that way at all. Kane is a volume shooter through and through. Burns is a volume shooter as well but he's consistently shown patience with the puck to find lanes even if it isn't directly at the goal. You can't compare Burns' patience to Kane as if they're all that close because they really aren't.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Kane needs to be on a power play that scores off the rush and uses an organized chaos setup. Kane and Donskoi are both good rush players, which is why they did so well together. Meier can work in that style as could Sorensen. If the sharks are willing to play Heed, I think Ryan and Heed would be the best option as the QBs. I know that second unit wouldn’t have a center, but it’s the power play, so whatever. All 3 forwards can switch off.

Reactions: Beethovens 10th

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I know that I'm quoting this again, but barring any changes to the roster, these units would be ideal.

But it'll probably be:

Kane-Thornton-Pavelski-Couture-Burns
Meier-Hertl-Labanc-Donskoi-some defenseman that isn't Heed

I think you're giving too much credit to the 2nd PP unit. It'll be 2 defenseman who aren't Heed

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Thornton
Pavelski
Couture
Labanc
Burns

Hertl
Kane
Donskoi
2 of Heed/Vlasic/Demelo (ew)

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Kane just blows on the PP. Keep him off of the PP and hope that he produces well at even-strength.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Kane just blows on the PP. Keep him off of the PP and hope that he produces well at even-strength.

Agreed, I’d rather see Timo on the 2nd unit but I don’t see Deboer benching a$7MM player on both PP units.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Agreed, I’d rather see Timo on the 2nd unit but I don’t see Deboer benching a$7MM player on both PP units.

I don't like that reasoning though. Just because you overpaid an even-strength scorer by giving him 7M/year doesn't mean you should make your PP units worse by putting him on there. But at best, he should be on the 2nd PP unit...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad