Let's talk #1 PP... How to get Kane going!

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Let's assume that at 7x7 the organization wants to give Kane every opportunity to produce on the PP to help bring up his point totals and justify that contract.

I also think it is safe to assume the #1 PP unit is going to continue to be an umbrella with Burns at the top right.

How do you work Kane into that top unit?
or
Can you build an effective second unit with Kane?

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I would try to make Kane the second net-front player and have the second unit run through Labanc and Hertl

The umbrella would have Thornton on the left side, with Couture on the right and Burns as the top of the umbrella.
This will primarily shifts the top of the umbrella to the right side.
Thornton is still you QB but because of the shift he won't be on the traditional half wall but closure to the slot.

The primary plays are still the Burns point shot or else the Couture one time from his off-side.

Kane can hopefully provide the speed needed for puck retrievals while also using his big body to gain position in front. I also think that with having Thornton on the left side and both the primary options to the right it is going to open things up for Kane to slide out for down low option.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
PP 1:

Thornton
(NET)
Pavelski​

Couture Labanc

Burns​

PP 2:
Hertl
(NET)
Meier​

Kane Donskoi

Heed​

PP #1 gives you a lot of options running through the right half wall and Thornton. Thornton and Labanc could run a pitch and catch similar to what Kuznetsov and Backstrom do for Washington's PP. Try to get the D out of position for a cross ice feed to Couture, or a thread the needle pass from Thornton to Pavelski. Other option is of course the pass back to Burns for the tip. I like this style of PP a lot.

PP #2 is the same. Hertl-Donskoi run a pitch and catch, Meier tipping pucks or ripping feeds from Hertl. Heed unloading from the point, and Kane being used as either a decoy or a cross ice option like Couture.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Who? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, the Burns shot towards the net trying for a Pavelski tip needs to stop. It's so predictable.
I agree, but seeing as how it won't and Burns will be the only D for the #1 PP at least, I think there are other ways to make it viable. Just needs to be ran more effectively and the default should not be the Burns tip play. Again to bring up Washington's PP, the Carlson bomb isn't the #1 play on that powerplay. Arguably it's the #3 play behind cross ice to Ovechkin, or feed to Oshie in front of the net. I think we could have a lot of success with a similar system with the players we have.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I also noticed last year (and probably the last few years) that they struggle to enter the offensive zone on the power play. I'm not a fan of the dump and chase at all on the power play. They need to somehow get through the neutral zone and enter the offensive zone cleanly.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I also noticed last year (and probably the last few years) that they struggle to enter the offensive zone on the power play. I'm not a fan of the dump and chase at all on the power play. They need to somehow get through the neutral zone and enter the offensive zone cleanly.
Hertl is pretty good at it. That skill on entries and net front should put him on the top unit

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Kane sucks on the PP.

LaBanc and Thornton scored 8 goals in 21 minutes and 46 seconds on the power play. If the first power play unit on opening night doesn’t have the two of them on it I’ll be awfully unhappy.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Labanc belongs on the top unit. I'm hoping the second unit is Kane-Hertl-Meier-Donskoi-Heed but in reality it'll end up being something like Kane-Hertl-Donskoi-Vlasic-DeMelo.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I think the top unit is probably too cerebral for Kane. Id rather him on the second where he can just go for it.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
but in reality it'll end up being something like Kane-Hertl-Donskoi-Vlasic-DeMelo.
hqdefault (1).jpg

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Not worried about Kane on the top unit as long as Thornton is on the RW forcing passes to Burns for shots that have a better chance at being blocked than hitting the net.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
PP 1:

Thornton
(NET)
Pavelski​

Couture Labanc

Burns​

PP 2:
Hertl
(NET)
Meier​

Kane Donskoi

Heed​

I know that I'm quoting this again, but barring any changes to the roster, these units would be ideal.

But it'll probably be:

Kane-Thornton-Pavelski-Couture-Burns
Meier-Hertl-Labanc-Donskoi-some defenseman that isn't Heed

Reactions: Kcoyote3

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
That all resides with Burns. He is terrible trying to lead the PP down the ice from their own zone.

I think the top unit is probably too cerebral for Kane. Id rather him on the second where he can just go for it.
If it is dumbed down enough for Burns, surely Kane is intelligent enough for it. I think the issue with Kane is the PP doesn't fit his style. He is more skating and transition as opposed to setup shop in the O-Zone for 60+ seconds and work the puck around.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That all resides with Burns. He is terrible trying to lead the PP down the ice from their own zone.

If it is dumbed down enough for Burns, surely Kane is intelligent enough for it. I think the issue with Kane is the PP doesn't fit his style. He is more skating and transition as opposed to setup shop in the O-Zone for 60+ seconds and work the puck around.

Burns may be a dumb guy but he does see plays to be made a lot more than Kane does. He just shouldn't be the guy leading the breakout of a PP and doing zone entries other than him carrying it in or dumping and chasing. He shouldn't be making the zone entry pass or the up pass more often than not.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Kane looked terrible on the 1st unit last year. If he is put on the top unit over Labanc due to them wanting to live up to his contract, someone should be fired.

I understand your point however Kane and Labanc play two completely different positions on the PP. It would be stupid to play Kane on the right side in place of Labanc but it would be equally stupid to have Labanc grind away in front of the net.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I understand your point however Kane and Labanc play two completely different positions on the PP. It would be stupid to play Kane on the right side in place of Labanc but it would be equally stupid to have Labanc grind away in front of the net.

If you're not replacing Labanc with Kane then you're either taking him off the top unit or taking Jumbo, Pavs, Couture, or Burns off and I don't think that's going to happen. Kane doesn't work with a skilled group like them because he's too quick to release the puck and doesn't have the patience to hold on to the puck.

Reactions: LA Shark

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
If you're not replacing Labanc with Kane then you're either taking him off the top unit or taking Jumbo, Pavs, Couture, or Burns off and I don't think that's going to happen. Kane doesn't work with a skilled group like them because he's too quick to release the puck and doesn't have the patience to hold on to the puck.

You are replacing Labanc as far as who is on the first unit. Kane comes in and Labanc goes out.
You are NOT replacing Labanc's position on the first unit with Kane.

I agree that Kane doesn't work in one of the high skilled positions, which is why I suggested he should be used as the net-front option. That is not a position where he needs to control the puck or show any significant degree of patience. His job would be to battle in front, retrieve pucks & feed them back into the umbrella. In other suggested configurations this role is filled by Thornton and Pavelski. That is not a lot of foot speed nor do I like the idea of Thornton battling in front of the net post knee surgery.

Also for what it is worth Burns is too quick to release the puck and rarely shows patience by holding on to it.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
You are replacing Labanc as far as who is on the first unit. Kane comes in and Labanc goes out.

I agree that Kane doesn't work in one of the high skilled positions, which is why I suggested he should be used as the net-front option. That is not a position where he needs to control the puck or show any significant degree of patience. His job would be to battle in front, retrieve pucks & feed them back into the umbrella. In other suggested configurations this role is filled by Thornton and Pavelski. That is not a lot of foot speed nor do I like the idea of Thornton battling in front of the net post knee surgery.

Also for what it is worth Burns is too quick to release the puck and rarely shows patience by holding on to it.

What Kane does add is proven finish. Outside of Couture, not sure who else I would clearly rather have with the puck on the doorstep.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011

I hope Burns gets back to his lateral movement at the blue line, he was sooo good at moving towards center ice and getting shots through on net in his norris year. I know he was injured (Neck and or back? Don't remember specifically) that hampered him this year, but pretty much all year the lateral movement was much less common, way more than the timeline an injury would suggest.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

If you're out on the power play on this team's first unit, every position is a skill position but people are oversimplifying it to just when the team is set up. You need to be skillful and patient on the breakout, the zone entry, and puck retrievals as well. All these things that Kane does not do well in that situation. Also, for whatever it's worth, I disagree with you regarding Burns. In most situations and occasionally on the power play he can be too quick on the trigger but he has consistently shown patience with the puck and vision on how he passes or shoots on the power play.

Reactions: NiWa

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I think Kane would be a good PP2 unit option.
Maybe...
Couture-Thornton-Labanc
Burns-Pavelski

Hertl-Tierney-Kane
Meier-Defenseman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad