Let's Take A Second To Enjoy

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
The fact that this may be the best Leafs team ever assembled.

We have a Vezina caliber goalie
We have a Norris caliber d man
We have two guys who can honestly challenge for the Hart
We just signed perhaps the biggest free agent signing of all time and he WANTED to come back despite it being an incredibly difficult decision
We have two amazing d prospects which could have number 1 upside themselves
We were a top 3 team WITHOUT a 60 point scorer who we just signed to a decent contract that doesn't make Matthews and Mitch's value go through the roof
Having signed Tavares, now other people will also know they can come back to Toronto, maybe not in the next 2-3 years, but after that people will know how AWESOME it can be

After a decade+ of a purely garbage product, we have an AMAZING product on the ice, yes it's not perfect, but apart from Tampa, which team really is "perfect?" Enjoy this UNREAL young team, enjoy being a Leafs fan and enjoy the future, it is SO bright!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

We just signed perhaps the biggest free agent signing of all time and he WANTED to come back despite it being an incredibly difficult decision
We were a top 3 team WITHOUT a 60 point scorer who we just signed to a decent contract that doesn't make Matthews and Mitch's value go through the roof
Having signed Tavares, now other people will also know they can come back to Toronto, maybe not in the next 2-3 years, but after that people will know how AWESOME it can be

After a decade+ of a purely garbage product, we have an AMAZING product on the ice, yes it's not perfect, but apart from Tampa, which team really is "perfect?" Enjoy this UNREAL young team, enjoy being a Leafs fan and enjoy the future, it is SO bright!

Agree....but for some of us it’s been a decade ++++

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
Love this team. When we're firing on all cylinders we can look downright scary sometimes.

Really hoping to have some success in the playoffs this year.

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018

All that being said and recognized Leafs have not won anything. No PO rounds no trophies, excepting the Calder. Great teams not only look great and play great but have the hardware, ie the Cup to prove it. Time will tell. Let’s enjoy the moment. A 1st round exit will destroy the season.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
All that being said and recognized Leafs have not won anything. No PO rounds no trophies, excepting the Calder. Great teams not only look great and play great but have the hardware, ie the Cup to prove it. Time will tell. Let’s enjoy the moment. A 1st round exit will destroy the season.

Leafs were DEAD LAST 3 seasons ago.

Please try a bit of perspective.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
But why just a second :laugh: - on a serious note, it's a very exciting team and the future is bright

Good job Shanny and Co.

Reactions: AreBe

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes decades of frustration - oh well, let's be positive and look forward to the eventual prize (Stanley cup)

I’m enjoying the fact the Leafs are relevant again. If they ever win a Cup, that’s great, but I’m content with being competitive every game.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd

200.gif

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

Please read the thread title again ;)

Reactions: Bill Berg

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
Leafs were DEAD LAST 3 seasons ago.

Please try a bit of perspective.
Correct and still have not progressed one round in the POs. For years the Sharks were picked to win the Cup and had great teams. Great teams are measured by the Cups they win. Leafs haven’t won in over a half a century!
It’s not where you start or the journey it’s the finish that matters.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Ok, but keep in mind that this team is way ahead of schedule in terms of the rebuild. Expectations need to be held in check, and we are also in the toughest division in hockey.

We could finish 2nd overall in the NHL and still draw a top team in the 1st round.

The current playoff format is going to punish this team. We should be facing a much softer opponent to start the playoffs. Even if we get past the first round, it will take much more out of us than it's supposed to.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Correct and still have not progressed one round in the POs. For years the Sharks were picked to win the Cup and had great teams. Great teams are measured by the Cups they win. Leafs haven’t won in over a half a century!
It’s not where you start or the journey it’s the finish that matters.

Actually, they technically have, going one game further is progress.

Sharks were never picks to win the cup and a team failing to win the cup means nothing for other teams.

Indeed they haven't, the Cubs didn't win for an entire century, but you know what just happened?????

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Agree....but for some of us it’s been a decade ++++
Exactly... I still have fond memories of our 1967 Stanley Cup win! After watching it happen live, on a black and white TV, I immediately went up stairs and flashed our outside lights like crazy. Our next door neighbor came to our door to see if everything was alright. He was not impressed with this 12 year old boy flashing the outside lights.

So yeah, it's been a decade ++++ for me too!

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Exactly... I still have fond memories of our 1967 Stanley Cup win! After watching it happen live, on a black and white TV, I immediately went up stairs and flashed our outside lights like crazy. Our next door neighbor came to our door to see if everything was alright. He was not impressed with this 12 year old boy flashing the outside lights.

So yeah, it's been a decade ++++ for me too!

At least you have that memory. I was born in 1971. 47 years later...

Reactions: Duckrider and Al14

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Read the thread from beginning to end, and will not review, but will offer the following.

*This is our best chance since '93
*I believe that Marleau, Tavares and Hainsey offer us the experience to understand the demand of winning the cup.
*Specifically, Tavares, he's not yet placed his stamp on this team. I believe he'll demand more of his team mates as the season wears on. Outside of Crosby, I think Tavares is the best role model that Matthews could have. It won't be a 'I'm telling you', it'll be a 'I'm showing you'. All about the 200 ft, not the goals.
*Rielly is the key. A continued dominant season in the O zone, plus his acknowledged desire to engage all of his team mates into an atmosphere of success + having gone through the struggles of Leaf teams in the past...he speaks to all on the team and leads by example. Our leader, should he shoulder the responsibility.
*Andersen: healthy, competitive and consistent.
*Marner: can he continue his outrageous start...I think he can.
*Matthews and Nylander: Matthews is the complete C, no doubt and a joy to watch, but coupled with a 'firing on all cylinders' Nylander? Oh, that is a luxury nobody else has (re: T and M)

Dubas, give me one D who better aligns the right side and I'm set. Toughness would be a welcome addition, but unnecessary. This team is stacked and I'm enjoying it to the max. I'll even accept Babcock's terrible coaching, which should drop the team's final point total by 20-30%, and don't get me started on Hyman. Do I need to add a wink?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
With the playoff format that is currently used, a first round exit is very possible every year because their division is too strong.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
None of what you said changes the fact that this team is the best product we've seen in a very long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad