Speculation: Let's say hypothetically this is the team next season....

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
..make the line combos whatever you want. But this is the roster:

Nyquist - Larkin - Abdelkader
Tatar - Sheahan - Mantha
Pulkkinen - AA - Jurco
Helm - Glendening - Nosek

Dekeyser - Green
Smith - Marchenko
Ericsson - XO

Mrazek

Where do they finish in the standings? Am I crazy for thinking they are worse than this season, but still on the bubble and just miss the playoffs?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Zero percent chance they make the playoffs.

Ohh you got rid of Z too. Didn't see that at first glance.

Top 3 pick.

Entire roster is a bunch of spare parts and Larkin.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If Larkin and mrazek improves it will be no mans land. If mrazek has one bad month again and Larkin doesn't bring hope he's a number 1 center probably #7 pick or something. If one or two top line players gets injured it's lottery time

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Tatar - Sheahan - Mantha
Pulkkinen - AA - Jurco

Dekeyser - Green
Smith - Marchenko
Ericsson - XO

Mrazek

Where do they finish in the standings? Am I crazy for thinking they are worse than this season, but still on the bubble and just miss the playoffs?

I don't think Larkin is ready for first line centering responsibilities. I also don't think Pulkkinen is an NHL point producer. I also don't see how you'd get rid of Zetterberg on the first line when Abdelkader is even worse on the first line. I'd also rather have Kronwall on the bottom pair than Ericsson.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't think Larkin is ready for first line centering responsibilities. I also don't think Pulkkinen is an NHL point producer. I also don't see how you'd get rid of Zetterberg on the first line when Abdelkader is even worst on the first line. I'd also rather have Kronwall on the bottom pair than Ericsson.

It's just a hypothetical. Let's assume they both retired.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It's just a hypothetical. Let's assume they both retired.

Okay, boy. I don't know. Probably a lottery team. No first line player, no top pairing defense. All we have is a borderline vezina caliber goalie.

In this scenario, we better sign a Nielsen or an Okposo to stop gap.

Last edited:

TheGunslinger

Mar 24, 2016
Very young team, I think you would see a lot of amazing plays throughout the season but a lot of bone headed mistakes as well. I don't think this would be a top 3 picking team but I feel like I agree with you in saying that they could 'back' into the playoffs with a bigger chance of barely missing them. Maybe that's just me being optimistic though, or maybe it's me thinking that missing the names of Z, Dats, and Kronny won't have 'that' big of an effect on the team. Yes, they will be severely missed but if their play continues to go downhill, like it has been, I don't see how they would have a more positive effect than a negative effect on the team as a whole.

Just my .2 cents.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Depends a lot on a lot of unknown guys.
Mrazek, Larkin, Pulkkinen, AA, Jurco, Nosek, Marchenko, XO
The other guys are most likely what you see is what you get. But any one or more of these guys could have some incredible breakthrough and carry a lot more than we expect them to.

Realistically I would vote non playoff team though.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Bottom six-eight team is my guess. I think the bottom six and defense would be okay, but the goal differential of the top six would be really, really ugly. It is, however, closer to the direction I think we should be going.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Our average age will go down a lot just with the departures of Datsyuk, Franzen, Richards and Miller. Unless Kenny signs other vet FAs to replace them which I guess is likely...

Honestly, I think the Wings are out of the playoffs just with Datsyuk leaving.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Okay, boy. I don't know. Probably a lottery team. No first line player, no top pairing defense. All we have is a borderline vezina caliber goalie.

In this scenario, we better sign a Nielsen or an Okposo to stop gap.

Last thing we would want is a stop gap. Embrace the top 10 pick.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Nyquist - Larkin - Mantha
Tatar - AA - Jurco
Pulkkinen - Sheahan - Abdelkader

Dekeyser - Green
Smith - Marchenko
Ericsson - XO

Mrazek

I think the team misses the playoffs. Picks top 10, maybe top 5. But gets some great experience and shows a promising future when the Defense and bottom 6 are fixed.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
If this is the roster going into next year, then I will be officially and permanently supportive of Holland's tenure coming to an end. I've been very critical of him the last few years but he has a long leash (with me included) because of his many years of success.

But this 'rebuild on the fly' bull**** is just that, bull****, if the end result is a full blown rebuild. Why have we been treading water the past several years if we were heading for a full rebuild anyway?

I strongly believe that there is a way out and up from our current situation, but it's going to require an aggressive GM and serious leveraging of our large quantity of mid-above average quality prospects and young players (and even some prime pieces if needed, just not Larkin/DDK/Mrazek). I'm just not sure Holland has it in him. Because if his past half decade is any indication, he really may not. Just because he's been the GM for a very long time, doesn't mean it has to last forever. Lamoriello ain't the GM in NJ anymore.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I mean you have to remember it was only a few months ago that Larkin and Mrazek were carrying the team on their backs. They could improve from that level and find consistency. And maybe some of their supporting cast will make the leap and, you know, support them.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If this is the roster going into next year, then I will be officially and permanently supportive of Holland's tenure coming to an end. I've been very critical of him the last few years but he has a long leash (with me included) because of his many years of success.

But this 'rebuild on the fly' bull**** is just that, bull****, if the end result is a full blown rebuild. Why have we been treading water the past several years if we were heading for a full rebuild anyway?

I strongly believe that there is a way out and up from our current situation, but it's going to require an aggressive GM and serious leveraging of our large quantity of mid-above average quality prospects and young players (and even some prime pieces if needed, just not Larkin/DDK/Mrazek). I'm just not sure Holland has it in him. Because if his past half decade is any indication, he really may not. Just because he's been the GM for a very long time, doesn't mean it has to last forever. Lamoriello ain't the GM in NJ anymore.

That ship has sailed my friend. Even if we land this elusive top-pairing defensemen via trade, we still need offensive upgrades over Pav and Z.

We aren't going up at this point without first going down, down, down.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Tatar - Sheahan - Mantha
Pulkkinen - AA - Jurco

Dekeyser - Green
Smith - Marchenko
Ericsson - XO

Mrazek

20% chance of making the playoffs.

You guys saw our division. It's not that stiff in terms of competition. Unless some of them get way better during the off season our odds still aren't 0. Just really really low.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Tatar - Sheahan - Mantha
Pulkkinen - AA - Jurco

Dekeyser - Green
Smith - Marchenko
Ericsson - XO

Mrazek

In any hypothetical scenario isn't either Z or Kronwall not playing on the team next season i can't think of a reason. That roster lineup definitely isn't a playoff caliber roster.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
2nd to last in the division, still quite a bit better than the Leafs. Buffalo would likely pass us though.

Somewhere probably in the Carolina suckerhole 4 - 8 drafting spot.

Though the idea that Kronwall and Zetterberg are not playing next year is pretty preposterous.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
20% chance of making the playoffs.

You guys saw our division. It's not that stiff in terms of competition. Unless some of them get way better during the off season our odds still aren't 0. Just really really low.

Florida and Tampa. Let's just lock them in.

Then you're compete with Boston, who I think will be better than that roster by a mile. Montreal will be better. Ottawa will hover around. And hell, we know Buffalo is on the upswing. Guess I'll put that roster above Toronto, unless they pull the miracle draft + Stamkos.

Anyway, I think 20% is optimistic. DeKeyser-Green, Smith-Marchenko is your top 4? That's so bad.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Florida and Tampa. Let's just lock them in.

Then you're compete with Boston, who I think will be better than that roster by a mile. Montreal will be better. Ottawa will hover around. And hell, we know Buffalo is on the upswing. Guess I'll put that roster above Toronto, unless they pull the miracle draft + Stamkos.

Anyway, I think 20% is optimistic. DeKeyser-Green, Smith-Marchenko is your top 4? That's so bad.

I think Florida overperformed. I think all else being equal they're fighting for #2/3 spot next season. Maybe worse. 19th in Fenwick Close. 18th for Corsi close. 2nd best PDO. All the classic signs of riding lucky imo. Past 3 teams that came to mind that fit that profile are the Flames, Avs, and Leafs. One year of the past 5 each of them made the playoffs only the miss the next season. The common themes? Bottom third in Corsi/Fenwick, top5 in PDO for the seasons they make the playoffs. Then they regress to the mean. And their fans, "no, we're gonna beat that trend!" Yeah. Sure. Now, 19th and 18th isn't as bad as dead last like the Leafs, but it's still worse than league average. I think that makes a difference for them next season.

Tampa may lose Stamkos. Makes them weaker. Buffalo is on the upswing but still a couple of years away I think. Like you said, Toronto ain't gonna be a problem unless they land Stammer *and* get some development/new draftees ready right away. Ottawa, Boston, Wings, Montreal, Florida fighting for 2 divisional spots. Only Tampa can be said to lock one down. They're still a strong team without Stamkos. I don't think the separation between those 5 teams is that big. Montreal really missed Price but it's clear their team has more issues than that.

Overall I'm still saying there's an 80% chance of missing. That 20% isn't *that* optimistic imo.

Besides, I think that top4 should already be our top4. Kronner and E have been terrible all season. We might be better off frankly, whether those two are bottom pair or just off the team. I'd be more than happy to see XO take one of their spots.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad