Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Part I - Let's post some (hopefully) good news, too. [Mod note in OP]

Mod Note: Reminder everyone, try to keep discussions limited to direct good news comments. This isn't a general discussion thread. If you want a deeper discussion, post it in the general thread and discuss it deeper there.

We're trying to limit this thread to posting good news and direct comments on posted good news. Thanks

Reactions: zcaptain

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Anonymous Landlord Hands Over His Family’s Stimulus Check to His 13 Tenants So They Could Save on Rent
A California landlord and his wife are being praised for doubling up on their stimulus checks in order to pay off some of the rent for all 13 of their tenants.

Although the Santa Rosa landlord chose to remain anonymous, he told KNTV that after he and his family received their $3,400 federal stimulus check, he felt compelled to pay it forward to his “second family” of tenants.

He then matched the check’s amount for a total of $7,000 so he could use it to shave $500 off this month’s rent for each of his tenants.
The landlord says that he was inspired to donate his stimulus check after reading news reports of other individuals and business owners doing similar good deeds across California—and he hopes that his gesture will inspire others to do the same.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
I mean that line sounds good, but so much information/context needed to understand what is all means.

To me, it means since they can identify the specific antibody key to neutralizing the coronavirus, it leads to more promising treatments (a cure). Right now, Hydroxychloroquine (combined with other meds and maybe Zinc) and Remdesivir seems to have some kind of success. However, their potency seems to be a bit lacking when administered after the virus has been widespread in the body. However, I can be wrong about this, but I think I read that somewhere. Isolating a key antibody that neutralizes the coronavirus will definitely help greatly to finding a cure that's way more potent and could possibly be administered even if the virus has been spread everywhere within the body. However, I'm no scientist and I'm only interpreting what I've read/heard.

On a separate note. The print screen below is to give props mainly to BC and AB. BC, for the first time in like ever, only had 8 recorded cases today. It's the first time I've seen single digit # of new daily cases in BC since this whole thing started. That likely means there's either very little to no community spread in BC anymore. Also, the number of resolved cases (deaths + recovered) is 59. That's a -51 resolved vs new cases for the day. Whenever you can get the R0 below 1, your city/region/country can eradicate this virus from that place. BC is doing this right now and that's not bad for a population of 5 million, where 3 million of them live very close to each other (Lower Mainland).

AB is also at -222 cases today as they only had 57 new cases with 259 resolved cases for the day. ON was -270 or so yesterday, but is +52 for today. For Canada, other than QC and ON (and even ON is improving by leaps and bounds), it's actually doing pretty well against this virus. All the provinces and territories (other than QC and ON) have either double or single digit # of new cases, with some having 0.

Edit - I can't seem to put the print screen in this new thread. I almost posted it in the old thread, but that got closed before I had a chance to do it. Anyways, the link to it is here: Coronavirus (COVID-19) tracker, latest cases in Canada

It's near the top. It shows all the new cases for the day for every province, number of resolved cases and active cases, etc...

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
To me, it means since they can identify the specific antibody key to neutralizing the coronavirus, it leads to more promising treatments (a cure). Right now, Hydroxychloroquine (combined with other meds and maybe Zinc) and Remdesivir seems to have some kind of success. However, their potency seems to be a bit lacking when administered after the virus has been widespread in the body. However, I can be wrong about this, but I think I read that somewhere. Isolating a key antibody that neutralizes the coronavirus will definitely help greatly to finding a cure that's way more potent and could possibly be administered even if the virus has been spread everywhere within the body. However, I'm no scientist and I'm only interpreting what I've read/heard.

On a separate note. The print screen below is to give props mainly to BC and AB. BC, for the first time in like ever, only had 8 recorded cases today. It's the first time I've seen single digit # of new daily cases in BC since this whole thing started. That likely means there's either very little to no community spread in BC anymore. Also, the number of resolved cases (deaths + recovered) is 59. That's a -51 resolved vs new cases for the day. Whenever you can get the R0 below 1, your city/region/country can eradicate this virus from that place. BC is doing this right now and that's not bad for a population of 5 million, where 3 million of them live very close to each other (Lower Mainland).

AB is also at -222 cases today as they only had 57 new cases with 259 resolved cases for the day. ON was -270 or so yesterday, but is +52 for today. For Canada, other than QC and ON (and even ON is improving by leaps and bounds), it's actually doing pretty well against this virus. All the provinces and territories (other than QC and ON) have either double or single digit of new cases, with some having 0.

Isn't Vancouver a large city and isn't BC close to Washington state that has been hit hard? I'm surprised, though pleasantly that it's been so little.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
An absolute must read Twitter thread with some new/developing information as of tonight. It's 10 Tweets long, but HF only let's me post this much. Take a look...

With each passing week it seems some serious scientific body learns something significant about this virus and this seems very significant.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
An absolute must read Twitter thread with some new/developing information as of tonight. It's 10 Tweets long, but HF only let's me post this much. Take a look...

With each passing week it seems some serious scientific body learns something significant about this virus and this seems very significant.

a lot of medical jargon but this seems positive...lol
is he saying re-infection doesn't happen?

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

Hes saying that the people who did not develop antibodies likely didn't have covid at all, becuase of the plasma donor who were PCR-confirmed covid positive, 99.5% had antibodies, vs 38.2% for those who were only "suspected" to have it.

Not sure if this means that many assumed they had the virus or if people were getting false positives.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
There's been more and more evidence that reinfection has not occured yet. Those that tested positive twice in South Korea are showing they just had fragments of the virus left, not reinfection.

Also, South Korea has been studying immunity in animals, and Oh Myoung-don, who heads the country''s central clinical committee on new infectious diseases, believes immunity will last at least a year.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
ASU scientific team finds new, unique mutation in coronavirus study

This *could* mean the virus is weakening. This is a legit source, and the paper has been peer reviewed (i believe).

In simple terms- which is needed for me to understand (haha)- the virus has lost some of it's steam to attack our cells. If the virus is less deadly, and people show less severe symptoms- then it will be able to spread more, which is what viruses want (lack of better terms) to do.

This mutation apparently occured towards the end of the SARS outbreak, and played a role in exterminating it.

It's not known yet what the impact will be, but it's potentially good news that we should follow.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

This *could* mean the virus is weakening. This is a legit source, and the paper has been peer reviewed (i believe).

In simple terms- which is needed for me to understand (haha)- the virus has lost some of it's steam to attack our cells. If the virus is less deadly, and people show less severe symptoms- then it will be able to spread more, which is what viruses want (lack of better terms) to do.

This mutation apparently occured towards the end of the SARS outbreak, and played a role in exterminating it.

It's not known yet what the impact will be, but it's potentially good news that we should follow.

This sounds like possibly amazing news, some of the best we've had. That doctor for Weill Cornell said something similar about the virus on further go arounds could be much weaker. I think he was referring to immunity but maybe this too.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
There's been more and more evidence that reinfection has not occured yet. Those that tested positive twice in South Korea are showing they just had fragments of the virus left, not reinfection.

Also, South Korea has been studying immunity in animals, and Oh Myoung-don, who heads the country''s central clinical committee on new infectious diseases, believes immunity will last at least a year.

A great, and yet so obvious, point was brought up to me today...

If there was no immunity to Covid-19, wouldn't tons of medical workers be on their 2nd or 3rd case of the virus already given their continued exposure to it?

Plus we are still waiting on the first CONFIRMED case of anyone getting Covid-19 and 2nd time (not a false positive like reported in Korea). Since there are over 3,500,000 confirmed worldwide cases to date, seems like we can count on at least a few months of immunity built in given that we have zero confirmed 2nd cases anywhere.

And even if there were like 10,000 2nd cases of Covid-19 worldwide so far (which there aren't), that would be a very small number compared to overall cases indicating that for some reason a very small percentage of people could get it again while a severe majority of people have some sort of immunity.

The longer we go without confirmed 2nd cases clearly the more positive that is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Drebin

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Is that a fact in all (corona)viruses - That the less deadly one becomes the more infectious it becomes?

And why would that be the case? The virus doesn't have consciousness. Every virus cell is just attacking the host/person that it's in. How would it "know" what's going on in millions of other people to then mutate and change the way it attacks going forward?

Reactions: insomniac

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
A follow up on Israel's isolation of antibody on neutralizing the corona virus and why it's significant.

The professor explains it to you and why even seriously ill corona virus patients can recover (drugs such as Remdesivir only have moderate success for the really sick people).

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
A great, and yet so obvious, point was brought up to me today...

If there was no immunity to Covid-19, wouldn't tons of medical workers be on their 2nd or 3rd case of the virus already given their continued exposure to it?

Plus we are still waiting on the first CONFIRMED case of anyone getting Covid-19 and 2nd time (not a false positive like reported in Korea). Since there are over 3,500,000 confirmed worldwide cases to date, seems like we can count on at least a few months of immunity built in given that we have zero confirmed 2nd cases anywhere.

And even if there were like 10,000 2nd cases of Covid-19 worldwide so far (which there aren't), that would be a very small number compared to overall cases indicating that for some reason a very small percentage of people could get it again while a severe majority of people have some sort of immunity.

The longer we go without confirmed 2nd cases clearly the more positive that is.
I don't believe the question has been if immunity is gained, it's how long does immunity last. Scientists are careful with their words, so they won't out right say short-term immunity is guaranteed even if they're 90% certain. They're going to use words like 'likely', 'seems to be', 'we can assume' etc...and wait until the evidence is undeniable before saying we gain immunity. I'd assume nearly every expert expects at least a few months of immunity, but we now have evidence that it could last at least a year, which is encouraging.

Reactions: periferal

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Is that a fact in all (corona)viruses - That the less deadly one becomes the more infectious it becomes?

And why would that be the case? The virus doesn't have consciousness. Every virus cell is just attacking the host/person that it's in. How would it "know" what's going on in millions of other people to then mutate and change the way it attacks going forward?
Good questions that unfortunately I'm not qualified or educated enough to answer=(

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov

Usually people that have less agresive virus stay active and go out infecting other people while people with more agresive version get ill and stay inside (or die fast in case of very agresive version), limiting chances of virus to spread itself.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Usually people that have less agresive virus stay active and go out infecting other people while people with more agresive version get ill and stay inside (or die fast in case of very agresive version), limiting chances of virus to spread itself.

Adding to this: more deadly viruses tend to be less infectious because they "kill themselves out" too quickly. The goal of a virus is to spread not to kill, so they tend to adapt in such a way to accomplish this goal. That's why Covid-19 is so scary, it manifests no symptoms in the majority of people and lays dormant in people which gives it ample opportunity to spread far and wide.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
If you're looking for a more accurate phrasing, it would be to say that there is evolutionary pressure on viruses to not be so lethal. Their genetic information can't replicate in dead hosts after all. A more innocuous strain of SARS-CoV-2 would be able to outcompete its more lethal counterparts as a result.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Scientists Found A Breakthrough Antibody That 'Neutralizes' Coronavirus: Here's How it Works
European scientists found a breakthrough antibody in the fight against the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
Known as 47D11, the antibody "targets the deadly virus's infamous 'spike protein', which it uses to hook onto cells and insert its genetic material,"
The scientists engineered mice to carry human genes. They were then injected with coronaviruses, including SARS and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).

Dr. Bosch and his team then isolated 51 neutralizing antibodies produced by the cells of the mice. One of these was 47D11, which could prevent SARS-CoV-1.

47D11 binds to ACE 2, an enzyme that is also found in SARS-CoV-2. It acts as the "doorway" for COVID-19 to human cells.
Antibodies like 47D11 could be made in the lab. Purifying it from people's blood won't be needed.
47D11 targets the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 1 (SARS-CoV-1) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2.

The first was the novel coronavirus that triggered the 2003 SARS outbreak, while the second was the novel coronavirus that triggered the COVID-19 pandemic.

Both come from the same family of coronaviruses.

According to Prof. Berend-Jan Bosch from the Utrecht University, "This research builds on the work our groups have done in the past on antibodies targeting the SARS-CoV that emerged in 2002/2003."

The researchers were able to identify 47D11 from their collection of SARS-CoV2 antibodies, one that "neutralises infection of SARS-CoV-2 in cultured cells," Prof. Bosch added.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I don't believe the question has been if immunity is gained, it's how long does immunity last. Scientists are careful with their words, so they won't out right say short-term immunity is guaranteed even if they're 90% certain. They're going to use words like 'likely', 'seems to be', 'we can assume' etc...and wait until the evidence is undeniable before saying we gain immunity. I'd assume nearly every expert expects at least a few months of immunity, but we now have evidence that it could last at least a year, which is encouraging.

Where do we have evidence that immunity could last a year?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I don't know all that it means in terms of immunity/finding a treatment or vaccine, but the fact that there aren't multiple strains of Covid-19 (at least yet) to me is a good thing. Good to know that if anyone has immunity for let's say a year they don't have to worry about getting a different strain as of now...

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I know this isn't good news, but I think it's important I don't spread misinformation. This is in regards to post#10.

Matthew Scotch (co-author of the ASU study) said this about the deletion of some of the genes in the virus:
“The takeaway is that one virus had a large deletion which demonstrates that it is possible for the virus to transmit without having complete portions of its genetic material,” study co-author Matthew Scotch told the New York Post through email. “This was one virus and we do not suggest that this means a ‘weakening’ of any kind.”

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Where do we have evidence that immunity could last a year?
I'd have to surf through a bunch of articles to find it, but South Korea has been studying immunity in animals, and Oh Myoung-don, who heads the country''s central clinical committee on new infectious diseases, believes immunity will last at least a year. The study hasn't been released, but he's a very good source, so I trust him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->