Let's play what if...

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
So i was lurking in the Habs/Sens PG thread. (I never post in those places. I know how much I hate other fanbases posting here.). Not a happy group. Anyway, someone mentioned that if we'd sucked in 2017 instead of 16 we'd have ended up with Nico Hischier instead of AM. Got me to thinking: We missed McDavid by 1 lottery ball in 2015. Now, of course, that meant we got to draft Marner and Matthews the year after. Bur what if we DO get 97? We miss Marner and probably don't get Matty either. Instead in 2016 we draft someone else. Most likely we're still in the lottery but barring a miracle we're not drafting 1st. Still most likely top 10. So...

Knowing what we know now, do you still prefer the M&M boys or...McJesus and a lesser talent than Marner, say...Tkachuk or Puljujarvi...maybe PLD?

My money's still on what we ended up with. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

Reactions: zeke

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
McDavid and Matthews.

Edmonton had Draisaitl to help McDavid in that first season (before he got hurt). Leafs had nothing except Kadri. We would be dead last again after McDavid breaks his collarbone.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
McDavid and Matthews.

Edmonton had Draisaitl to help McDavid in that first season (before he got hurt). Leafs had nothing except Kadri. We would be dead last again after McDavid breaks his collarbone.
But in this alternative universe, maybe McDavid doesn't break his collarbone. Or was it destiny?

Reactions: unitedstars87

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If we are playing what if, maybe the Leafs would have drafted McDavid, Carlo and Cirelli that year.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
You want to play what if. What if Draisaitl went 1st overall in 2014. What if that draft was re-done. Would the Oilers be better or worse getting someone else, possibly Ekblad at 3rd?

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Edmonton drafted McDavid in 2015 and even though he only played 44 games because of injury that year, they still only finished 1 point ahead of Toronto for DEAD last in 2016. If Toronto had McDavid that year, they would still have been bad, but they would have been better than dead last, whether McDavid played 44 games like in reality or if he played all year because the circumstances changed history.

My guess is that the Leafs probably finished around 5th to last. In reality that was Calgary, but Winnipeg (who won pick #2) and Arizona were both 1 point better. So assuming the Leafs finished in Calgary's spot and everything went as it did, the Leafs would have had the #6 pick in the draft. The Flames used that pick on Matthew Tkachuk, but after taking Nylander and McDavid the past 2 drafts do the Leafs take another forward or do they lean toward picking up a defenseman? The next D taken that year was Sergachev at #9. So my guess is that the Leafs probably take Tkachuk rather than "reach" for Sergachev, Bean, McAvoy, or Chychrun.

With hindsight you probably wish the Leafs took a D there, but nobody knew back then. So McDavid-Tkachuk would have been the new dynamic duo. McDavid is better than Matthews, but Marner is better than Tkachuk. So entertainment-wise, Toronto is probably weaker because Tkachuk is not as flashy as Marner while McDavid and Matthews are close in different ways. However, playoff performance probably goes to McDavid-Tkachuk because McDavid and Matthews are close in production, but Tkachuk plays a more "playoff-style" game than Marner.

Also, financially the Leafs probably pay McDavid around what he is getting, but assuming Tkachuk got paid what he actually did, the Leafs would be saving Cap space compared to what Matthews/Marner are getting paid by roughly $3 mil.

So take your pick, it would be fun to see how the 2 different teams would have performed, but either way the Leafs would have been in a good place.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
What if everything was the exact same, except the Leafs draft McDavid instead of Marner?

HFBoards would have exploded, for a starter.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
McDavid and Matthews.

What are the odds they would have won back-to-back 1st overalls? When was the last time a team picked 1st overall back-to-back? McDavid and Matthews together would have been out of the question. Imagine the outrage, though, LOL

Reactions: Ciao

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
McDavid and Matthews.

Draisaitl was not the same player as he is now though. In 82 games that year he scored 51 points and that was playing wing with Eberle and RNH mostly.

Kadri had 45 points that year playing with Michael Grabner and PA Parenteau. If you add McDavid to that whether it is 1st or 2nd line and whether he plays 44 or 82 games, the Leafs play a lot better and finish with more than 69 points.

If a team with Nazem Kadri-Tyler Bozak-Peter Holland-Shawn Matthias up the middle finished with 69 points. How many points would a team with Connor McDavid-Kadri-Bozak-Holland/Matthias would have finished with, even if McDavid only played half the year.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I don't want to play what if we got McDavid instead of Matthews. It's a bad game to play when the team is this good, were watching one of the greatest players in franchise history I'm not spending an inch of headspace wondering if we had a different star instead. This was a fine experiment when the team sucked but we're not exactly left wanting, I'm keeping our guys without a second thought.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Matthews and Marner made this team a playoff team the second they walked on the ice.

We'd be a worse team with Mcdavid and without a Draisatl, seething from the mouth at wasting Mcdavids prime.

I assume JT still signs here but only plays the PP with Mcdavid.

Dubas would go out looking for a goal scoring winger and sign Skinner (who wanted to play here)

Team is worse, and i'm not sure how Mcdavid would fare vs Boston. Matthews was scared shitless of them, Mcdavid would be having off season surgeries after every series with the lengths they'd go to stop him

The only player i'd put Matthews in a trade for is Mcdavid, but the team is built around Matthews, and that trade would never happen, so god bless

Reactions: saffronleaf

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A tank season should hopefully not be in the cards if McDavid is in the fold. What does a push forward look like a season earlier though? Are prospects like Nylander and Brown ready to step in then? Is the trade currency there to land an Andersen level starting goalie? I'm happy enough with what we know to not seriously contemplate what we do not.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I don't want to play what if we got McDavid instead of Matthews. It's a bad game to play when the team is this good, were watching one of the greatest players in franchise history I'm not spending an inch of headspace wondering if we had a different star instead. This was a fine experiment when the team sucked but we're not exactly left wanting, I'm keeping our guys without a second thought.
I'd like this twice if I could.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Crazier thought, what if we actually did end up with McDavid in 2015 lottery and with Matthews in 2016? I wonder what HF is like in that alternate universe. :laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Winning the lottery and drafting Matthews first overall in 2016 after losing the McDavid lottery means not having to play what if games.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad