Pre-Game Talk: Let's Play Video Games

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Regionally its a sweetheart deal for County of Strathcona which should be redressed as Edmonton is the reason people even live in the region. Most that don't work in refineries work, shop, play in Edmonton.

The industrial tax base of course allows for much more provision of service and getting more bang for buck for property taxes. Regionally its a sweetheart deal for County of Strathcona which should be redressed as Edmonton is the reason people even live in the region. Most that don't work in refineries work, shop, play in Edmonton.

Most that don't work in the energy industry or aren't truckers. Just refineries is a bit too narrowly focused.

The associated personal income taxes with those jobs is huge and a significant portion of revenue for the County. In 2019 the median family income in the County was $136K, for St. Albert it was $131K , for Stony Plain it was $105K and for Edmonton it was $98K. This is an interesting site for poking around for data like household income in Alberta. Alberta Regional Dashboard

The City of Edmonton tried to address the inequities with the Edmonton Metro Transit Services Commission. Strathcona County felt they were asked to kick in too much and felt they better served their residents with putting that money towards those sweet double decker buses.

Gotta love the City of Edmonton bureaucracy. The regional transit plan and the commission died when the City of Edmonton pulled out five weeks ago. But you can still find a link to the Commission on the City's website. :)

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Too bad that plow will never see any action. City seems to always have a reason why they can't clean snow, yet surrounding communities seem to do just fine. I guess the weather between Sherwood Park and Edmonton is quite different.
I haven’t lived in the city since the end of 2020 but from what I hear it sounds like alot of services are declining but taxation is jumping up.

Was talking to a friend of mine the other day who just received his property tax from the city and he was not happy to put it nicely. Said the city inflated the value of his property almost 30k from last year but he’d be lucky to get a sale price at last years valuation if he put it on the market. Double whammy with the valuation shooting up and the city raising property taxes 3-4% or whatever they did.

Reactions: Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I haven’t lived in the city since the end of 2020 but from what I hear it sounds like alot of services are declining but taxation is jumping up.

Was talking to a friend of mine the other day who just received his property tax from the city and he was not happy to put it nicely. Said the city inflated the value of his property almost 30k from last year but he’d be lucky to get a sale price at last years valuation if he put it on the market. Double whammy with the valuation shooting up and the city raising property taxes 3-4% or whatever they did.
It's partially because no one in power wants to admit how inefficient the City is in areas that have higher budgets.

How certain divisions overpay compared to the private sector. Their is a mentality that is simply breeding laziness and entitlement, which results in poor results

Reactions: Oilhawks

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Drai McD Kane
Kostin RNH Janmark
Hyman Mcleod Holloway
Foegele Ryan

Lines were not conistent last game, but these are the lines that I've liked. I've never been a big fan of McDrai playing together, but with the other two lines looking solid it may actually make sense. I'm sure I've got half the guys on the wrong wing, but you get the point.
I want three good lines

Draisaitl McDavid Holloway
Kost Nuge Jarnmark
Kane McLeod Hyman
Fogele Ryan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad