Pre-Game Talk: Let's hope the Leafs can keep the Bruins under 30 shots....after two periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Even Bernier knows the problem or is aware of it, unlike some other player...

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 6h6 hours ago
Bernier today: "The shot clock usually doesn’t lie. If [the opposition] get 40-plus shots most of the nights they’ll win those games."

Seems like Siegel is taking liberties with the brackets "[ ]".

Bernier probably said "If they get 40-plus shots..."

If anyone is getting 40+ shots most nights they should be winning games, unless their goaltending is very bad, or the opposition's goaltending is very good.

Thankfully ours is very good. :)

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Bernier should be back since they sent Gibson down. Leafs are going to win and prolong Carlyle's stay.

Shanahan doesn't care how the Leafs do this year, Carlyle is staying on a bench boss until Shanny gets to offer the job to Babcock (which he can't do until the off-season).

The only "risk" in the plan is if the Leafs have an epic level collapse worse than any previous in history (i.e. they suddenly become the Oilers, who have one win in their last 21 games, ATM).

If that happens, then people will start turning their eyes on Shanahan and scrutinizing him for inaction (like they were early in the season when the Leafs slumped out of the gate).

But I would imagine Nonis is an insulator-scapegoat in case that happens.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Shanahan doesn't care how the Leafs do this year, Carlyle is staying on a bench boss until Shanny gets to offer the job to Babcock (which he can't do until the off-season).

The only "risk" in the plan is if the Leafs have an epic level collapse worse than any previous in history (i.e. they suddenly become the Oilers, who have one win in their last 21 games, ATM).

If that happens, then people will start turning their eyes on Shanahan and scrutinizing him for inaction (like they were early in the season when the Leafs slumped out of the gate).

I agree with your assessment 100%. Shanahan just wants/hopes the team to play good enough to avoid having to do anything mid-season.

I just hope he has some backroom deal already in place with whoever he expects to take over this summer and isn't just burning an entire year on a gamble.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Both Bergeron and Lucic did not play in Boston last game so if they're out again in this one that is a huge break for the Leafs.

Not really. Our team will still get outplayed. No effort.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
So... shall we play a game?

Over/under 15.5 shots against in the first?

Do we dare put the over/under at 35.5 shots against after 40? Why not.

Let's add another category...

Over/under 5.5 shots FOR after 1 period?

Over/under 12.5 shots after 2 periods?

:cry::help:

I'll play.

Over 15.5 SA in the first period.
Under 35.5 SA in the second period. (They can't be that pathetic right :cry:?)

Under 5.5 SF in the first.
Over 12.5 SF after 2 because of the long change.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Shanahan needs to be FIRED for throwing this season away IMHO! Even before this season even started, there was sufficient effidence that this core is just not working, literally and figuratively!

Changing the assistant coaches has done nothing to improve the WORK ETHICS of the core players. Changing the supporting cast of players has not improved the WORK ETHICS of the core players.

Carlyle's systems are not working either! We are constantly out worked, out muscled, out coached, and out shot! Carlyle needs to go, however, so do a significant number of core players, starting with Kessel and Phaneuf!

Shanahan needs to spearhead some significant changes, and NOW! OK, so trading core players isn't easy, I understand that, but, firing Carlyle, and appointing an interim head coach, is really easy! He needs to send a message to the players that he means business!

Get off your duff, Shanahan, and get the major chances required, underway for friggs sakes!

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Even Bernier knows the problem or is aware of it, unlike some other player...

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 6h6 hours ago
Bernier today: "The shot clock usually doesn’t lie. If [the opposition] get 40-plus shots most of the nights they’ll win those games."

Funny. I bet some fans on this site would argue with him. :laugh:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Shanahan needs to be FIRED for throwing this season away IMHO! Even before this season even started, there was sufficient effidence that this core is just not working, literally and figuratively!

Changing the assistant coaches has done nothing to improve the WORK ETHICS of the core players. Changing the supporting cast of players has not improved the WORK ETHICS of the core players.

Carlyle's systems are not working either! We are constantly out worked, out muscled, out coached, and out shot! Carlyle needs to go, however, so do a significant number of core players, starting with Kessel and Phaneuf!

Shanahan needs to spearhead some significant changes, and NOW! OK, so trading core players isn't easy, I understand that, but, firing Carlyle, and appointing an interim head coach, is really easy! He needs to send a message to the players that he means business!

Get off your duff, Shanahan, and get the major chances required, underway for friggs sakes!

Shanahan is just another big name that has no experience.

Only in Toronto are coaches given extensions for performing badly.

It's going to suck seeing him on the Leafs next year if Bernier miraculously takes this team to the playoffs.

Thankfully, the real Leafs have shown up 2 months earlier. Our possession stats are HORRIBLE. If Bernier started at slightly above average goaltending...this team would lose a lot of games.

We went from a solid playoff spot in mid March to 8th overall pick last year.

This year we have four whole months to suck. We're getting a top 5 pick in one freaking deep draft. It's not the pick that excites me though...it will be seeing Carlyle and hopefully some of the "core" players on this team gone.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Very sneaky of Bernier to call out his own teammates.

A goalie doesn't determine the amount of shots he faces outside of his own rebounds surrendered. Therefore its on the players in front of him to keep the shot count down through their possession play.

Leafs are 29th in shots against and bottom 5 in shot differential this season and 27th in Corsi possession stats. So Bernier might just be whistling into the wind by asking his teammates to be better. Leafs have already given up 40 or more shots against in 6 games in December alone.

Did Bernier call a Press Conference and make an announcement or was he answering a simple question that could be twisted?

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
This game scares me ... truly

Edit: Bergeron might be out!?!?! That guy is an absolute Leaf KILLER .. I pray to god he doesn't play

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We are 9 points ahead of the Colorado Avalanche, who currently hold the 7th overall pick, and 12 points ahead of the Buffalo Sabres, who currently hold the 3rd overall pick.

3-7 range is where we want to end up. Carolina and Edmonton are virtually uncatchable at this point.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 6m6 minutes ago
Appears Leo Komarov could actually play tonight. He's skating this morning on a line with Holland and Santorelli.

:facepalm: Komarov has barely practiced, and just a few days ago, the expectance was that Komarov wouldn't be back until Mid-January.

They are rushing him back.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 15m15 minutes ago
Leaf lines this morning:
van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Kessel.
Winnik-Kadri-Lupul.
Komarov-Holland-Santorelli.
Booth-Smith-Clarkson.

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 3m3 minutes ago
Looks like Jonathan Bernier will start in goal, his first since Dallas a week ago.

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 now11 seconds ago
Also, would appear that Stephane Robidas might sit again in favour of Korbinian Holzer.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 6m6 minutes ago
Appears Leo Komarov could actually play tonight. He's skating this morning on a line with Holland and Santorelli.

:facepalm: Komarov has barely practiced, and just a few days ago, the expectance was that Komarov wouldn't be back until Mid-January.

They are rushing him back.

He is this year's excuse err I mean Bolland for this team's poor play for Nonut & Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad