Proposal: Trouba traded to Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The reality for most players is that they have a team they'd prefer, but money on the table is always most important. If Trouba waits to sign a new deal and goes to UFA, he's risking tens of millions of dollars. One significant injury and everything changes.

It's why players sign new deals with the team that they get traded to more often than not. It's guaranteed money that sets you, your kids, and grandkids for life. Personally, I wouldn't risk that for the chance I get to play for the Red Wings, even if that was a childhood dream. I'm a grown ass man now with bills to pay, my pajamas while I was learning ABCs don't mean ****. The Coyotes offer me $50 million and I'm now the biggest damn Coyote fan you've ever seen.

I would not.

I personally held out for my ideal job while passing on multiple other offers that came first.

I wholly understand its not the same but alot of players are willing to will till free agency to sign with their ideal team. Look no further than pajamas tavares..

If he wants to play here and only here he will make it so. Anything less than that desire I question why we're so eager to chase him

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yep.

And the reason for Trouba having an apartment at Florida is just smart tax planning.

If you are US citizen (like Jacob Trouba is), working temporarily at Canada (like Trouba is), and if you own an apartment at United States (like Trouba has) and are living at Canada at a rental apartment (like Trouba is, this rental apartment is the key for whole loophole), this kind of case in taxes will be treated with the US state laws. And Florida taxes are lot less than in Manitoba.

This is just a loophole what Trouba is using. His net earnings are higher because he technically lives at Florida. He plays at Canada with Florida tax rate.

I did read this case from Winnipeg side few months ago, when somebody seemed to know the facts.

That loophole is applied to large bonus payments which Trouba isn't really getting... You don't get to apply it across your entire salary, it is why Matthews contract is structured the way it is. Just FYI in terms of if you want to go crazy on this angle though you can certainly funnel money in creative ways which most of these guys do and something their agents and money managers are quite familiar with.

Also I live in Florida, they don't play on the 6 months of residency thing, it is enforced heavily just so you know. I mean he could try it, but there are serious legal implication on a guy that is pretty prominently not living there for 7 months of the year... Not all states are as strict on this, but I can tell you Florida enforces and investigates this quite a bit.

As somebody else eluded to above, Florida does have some weird benefits. For instance they will not honor civil lawsuits or governmental claims against your homes, it is why crooked CEOs flip houses like the Enron guys. But there are things that people assume are benefits down here that simply are not the case. The residency and the insurance are things that would make your headspin in terms of some of the things dealt with down here.

Last edited:

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but its not that simple. If it were, Suter, Stamkos ect... would be here.
Those players he’s mentioned are no suter or stamkos , ones a dman who constantly turns the puck over and would get crucified at one point by the fans and the other had a great year and has been battling concussions his whole career but we’re gonna lock up these 2 to 7 long years, but ya pure quality

That wouldn’t be being yzerman , that would be being ken Holland and as recent history have shown us those deals have backfired badly

Stay the course and be patient like yzerman he himself said

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Think he’d be a solid #2 with a true top guy who can put up the pts on the back end I don’t think trouba will consistently be putting up 45-65 pts yearly , good piece but not the #1 guy I’d want on my team
I agree. I was arguing with a guy for no reason. He’s not a number 1 and probably won’t ever be but he’s a great #2/3

Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
That’s just beyond ****en bonkers
I don’t understand how people are ok with these types of moves were a rebuilding team we can’t just give away assets and take one step forward two steps back

First the jets would want a 1st back so it’s more like the 6th or next years first which could be a lottery pick and cholowski and maybe ehn for trouba which makes zero sense , if he wants to come back to Detroit so bad he can wait one year and help the team he wants to win with by keeping our important assets to go long with himself ,now if he ends up going elsewhere so be it we have to keep building this team In the right direction with trouba or without him

We’re not likely to start making noise until he’s around 30, us trading for him now also likely means we’ll have to give him that 8th year and the way we been ending up with abdelkader and these horrible deals I’d want to stay away from that situation

I know it’s tough guys but stay the course and toughen it out a year, keep our assets and don’t get ourselves good enough to miss the playoffs and get 13th overall pick

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
To get Trouba offer Hicketts, Rasmussen and a 2nd round pick from either 2019 or 2020

Don't think that gets it done for the Jets. They're looking to compete now and I think they'd prefer to get a NHL-ready player back. Rasmussen's value is lowered after struggling to keep up last season (he'll bounce back in the AHL) and Hicketts isn't worth much.

Reactions: jkutswings

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Moved my own comment here from another Topic...

...discussion about LhD defencemen:

Cholowski looked promising, and McIsaac is developing better than expected. DeKeyser is also good for many years to come. We don't have kind of need to draft LD at this point. If we need some, it's easiest to find from UFA market.

After the old goats (Green, Ericsson, Daley, Kronwall) are gone:

LhD DeKeyser - RhD Hronek
LhD Cholowski - RhD Bowey
LhD McIsaac - RhD Kaski
RhD Lindström

Also, this defenceman surplus is very potential for Trouba-trade. Winnipeg Jets need cost-controlled young defencemen in that trade, and it's possible they would lose both Trouba (no cap room, thanks to RFA raises) and Myers (because he is just bad, and UFA) at same summer.

If they lose both Myers and Trouba, they won't have any other RhDs in the system, except old Byfyglien. Their best young defencemen are LhDs. So they would definitely be interested in our young RhDs, and Yzerman just have to keep 2 guys (hopefully at least Hronek), who he will see best for the future, to play behind Trouba, who takes the toughest matchups instead of kids.

I could hope us trading RD Bowey + RD Lindström + other asset like Athanasiou for RD Trouba.

Then, at 2020-21 season:

LhD Cholowski(22y) - RhD Trouba(26y)
LhD DeKeyser(30y) - RhD Hronek(22y)
LhD McIsaac(20y) - RhD Kaski(24y)
7th RhD Regula(20y)
(signed UFA LhD, if Regula in farm system)

That would look a lot more balanced. Great age distribution. Two physically in-prime guys in DeKeyser + Trouba and developing ounger kids whose prime is in the future.

As we see, we have the guys to give (in a trade) and still have good guys like Regula on the pipeline coming up. The quality (Trouba) for quantity (cheap kids, offensive depth) trade is possible with a cap problem team like Jets.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
NHL Rumours: Vegas Golden Knights, Winnipeg Jets, Detroit Red Wings

NHL Rumours:
Elliott Friedman mentions in his 31 Thoughts segment on May 12th, that Minnesota could look at moving both Jared Spurgeon and Jason Zucker. He mentions that the Wild would most likely want to keep Spurgeon, however, he is their most tradeable asset.

Analysis:
It would not be surprising to see one or both of these players moved this summer. Spurgeon will be a hot commodity if he hits the trade market. The right shot defenceman is coming off the best statistical season of his career. He is also set to become a free agent at the end of next season. With the Wild most likely looking at a rebuild, Spurgeon would certainly bring back a solid return in a trade. The Toronto Maple Leafs are a team to watch here as they are in the market for right-hand defenceman. Basically, if a right-hand defenceman is available, you can bet the Leafs will be calling.

I wonder what Minnesota's asking price will be. He's only 5'9", but he's coming off a 43 point season and is a good PMD.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
NHL Rumours: Vegas Golden Knights, Winnipeg Jets, Detroit Red Wings

NHL Rumours:
Elliott Friedman mentions in his 31 Thoughts segment on May 12th, that Minnesota could look at moving both Jared Spurgeon and Jason Zucker. He mentions that the Wild would most likely want to keep Spurgeon, however, he is their most tradeable asset.

Analysis:
It would not be surprising to see one or both of these players moved this summer. Spurgeon will be a hot commodity if he hits the trade market. The right shot defenceman is coming off the best statistical season of his career. He is also set to become a free agent at the end of next season. With the Wild most likely looking at a rebuild, Spurgeon would certainly bring back a solid return in a trade. The Toronto Maple Leafs are a team to watch here as they are in the market for right-hand defenceman. Basically, if a right-hand defenceman is available, you can bet the Leafs will be calling.

I wonder what Minnesota's asking price will be. He's only 5'9", but he's coming off a 43 point season and is a good PMD.

Doesn't seem like a good fit to me. I like Spurgeon's game but I wouldn't want to give up any assets for a 30 (in Nov) year old on an expiring contract.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Doesn't seem like a good fit to me. I like Spurgeon's game but I wouldn't want to give up any assets for a 30 (in Nov) year old on an expiring contract.

Yep. Trouba is 25 and is perfect fit to our other core (Larkin 22, Mantha 24, Bertuzzi 24, Hronek 21) in age.

Definitely no for 30 year olds.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
But 29 yr old Swedes are fine...:sarcasm:

Well if I have to hear one more time about how washed up a guy we agree isn't playing at 100% but is leading the entire playoffs in assists is, I might pull out what remains of my hair.

Why would we want the best offensive D-man since Paul Coffey... Yeah that would stink...:sarcasm:

Oh and for free.

Hey if we can get Trouba great, but if we can get Karlsson that would be huge for this organization. Dude is a superstar, we need more talent and there isn't a better offensive D-man in the league than him over the last decade and at worst you're looking at a top 10 offensive d-man for at least five years of that contract in my opinion. I really cannot wrap my head around it, I mean if it was your money I guess, even then insure the contract and take the gamble on a guy that has the ability to dominate games and make at least half of our games infinitely more watchable next year.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Moved my own comment here from another Topic...

...discussion about LhD defencemen:

Cholowski looked promising, and McIsaac is developing better than expected. DeKeyser is also good for many years to come. We don't have kind of need to draft LD at this point. If we need some, it's easiest to find from UFA market.

Nothing about Dekeyser is good. He is below average in many facets of the game, and really only has reach and the decent skating for a big guy. He doesn't bring offence, doesn't protect the goalie at all or teammates in scrums, and he is terrible at getting the puck out of the zone. He and Ericsson both suck at flipping the puck out of the zone, especially on the PK. So many times, both of these guys weakly shoot it around the boards and of course don't get it out. NHL'ers should have no issue simply lobbing the puck out of the zone, but these two both, even when unpressured can't seem to figure it out.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Well if I have to hear one more time about how washed up a guy we agree isn't playing at 100% but is leading the entire playoffs in assists is, I might pull out what remains of my hair.

Why would we want the best offensive D-man since Paul Coffey... Yeah that would stink...:sarcasm:

Oh and for free.

Hey if we can get Trouba great, but if we can get Karlsson that would be huge for this organization. Dude is a superstar, we need more talent and there isn't a better offensive D-man in the league than him over the last decade and at worst you're looking at a top 10 offensive d-man for at least five years of that contract in my opinion. I really cannot wrap my head around it, I mean if it was your money I guess, even then insure the contract and take the gamble on a guy that has the ability to dominate games and make at least half of our games infinitely more watchable next year.

Isn't Henkka on the resigning Nyquist side of things? That is who I thought he was talking about honestly.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Isn't Henkka on the resigning Nyquist side of things? That is who I thought he was talking about honestly.

I would be surprised. I like Nyquist a great deal but we would have to making that deal in conjunction with a trade of one of our wingers for d.

The point stands in terms of some people playing the I don't want any player above 25 over and over in this thread for me. Karlsson being the one that bothers me the most.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
The hype is building. Posts on The Athletic and Winging It In Motown about the Wings trading for Trouba today.

No rumors or anything, just speculation.

Reactions: Henkka

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nothing about Dekeyser is good. He is below average in many facets of the game, and really only has reach and the decent skating for a big guy. He doesn't bring offence, doesn't protect the goalie at all or teammates in scrums, and he is terrible at getting the puck out of the zone. He and Ericsson both suck at flipping the puck out of the zone, especially on the PK. So many times, both of these guys weakly shoot it around the boards and of course don't get it out. NHL'ers should have no issue simply lobbing the puck out of the zone, but these two both, even when unpressured can't seem to figure it out.
Yup, I was gonna say that DeKeyser in his prime is still DeKeyser.

He's actually the primary reason why the team needs to draft a LD. If this is what we get in his prime, imagine what we get when he's UFA at 32 yo. That's not someone you want to re-sign because you left yourself no other option.

Keep in mind any D drafted this year will take at least 2 - 3 years to develop, the plan should be to draft DDK's replacement with one of the 2nd round picks.

Reactions: Oddbob

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yup, I was gonna say that DeKeyser in his prime is still DeKeyser.

He's actually the primary reason why the team needs to draft a LD. If this is what we get in his prime, imagine what we get when he's UFA at 32 yo. That's not someone you want to re-sign because you left yourself no other option.

Keep in mind any D drafted this year will take at least 2 - 3 years to develop, the plan should be to draft DDK's replacement with one of the 2nd round picks.

Ehhh....

They have already drafted Cholowski and McISaac, who'll look very promising and succesful picks. Why on earth these guys will disappear totally in these discussions?

Also DeKeyser becomes good, when this team overall becomes good. He has just become the basic bad-team-whipping-boy.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ehhh....

They have already drafted Cholowski and McISaac, who'll look very promising and succesful picks. Why on earth these guys will disappear totally in these discussions?

Also DeKeyser becomes good, when this team overall becomes good. He has just become the basic bad-team-whipping-boy.
Unmm, because you need 3 defensemen on each side?

DeKeyser's not going to suddenly become good. That doesn't just happen. He's not even an adequate 3rd pair defenseman on a team with Cup aspirations. He's just another Lebda/Lilja/Quincey type, he'll be out of the league within a couple of years if the Wings don't re-sign him at the end of his contract.

The only way DeKeyser looks good is if he's paired with someone like John Carlson, who's good enough to make Alzner and Kempny look like legit NHLers. That's not gonna happen wit the Wings.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Unmm, because you need 3 defensemen on each side?

DeKeyser's not going to suddenly become good. That doesn't just happen. He's not even an adequate 3rd pair defenseman on a team with Cup aspirations. He's just another Lebda/Lilja/Quincey type, he'll be out of the league within a couple of years if the Wings don't re-sign him at the end of his contract.

The only way DeKeyser looks good is if he's paired with someone like John Carlson, who's good enough to make Alzner and Kempny look like legit NHLers. That's not gonna happen wit the Wings.

That's a bit extreme. I think he's overpaid and overplayed but he was a positive last season on a bad team (and every season of his career except for 16-17) while playing 20+ minutes. He's a decent defensive defenseman.

Danny DeKeyser Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Reactions: Henkka
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad