Proposal: Trouba traded to Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Question is what planet are you on?the leafs are just starting off and they have a bunch of elite guys that put ours to shame if your being honest with yourself, your just hoping Matthews leaves now

Tampa?last I checked we dominated the league for years until we finally won so I’m not worried at all about the lighting , they’ll get their day

****ting on Ottawa? Maybe you should do your homework on other teams rather than just being a homer , we have a kid like chabot on the back end? A kid who just put up crazy numbers after losing Karlsson?thats an easy no and to add to that they got brannstrom who’s one of the top prospects not in the league, we pcan like hronek but there’s no duo like that on the back end not even close

tkachuk,white,batherson,formenton,brown,wolanin,docker,lajoie etc... your acting like it’s a sure thing that will be a top team in a few years when your discounting how many good teams there already are in our own division alone , but hey it’s nice to dream big

The Leafs are just starting off, yet theyre already in a cap crunch and havent won a playoff series with that team yet. Yes I do hope Matthews leaves, its not a guarantee that he does but capwise the Leafs are in trouble already. Chicago had a cup or two before they hit cap trouble, Toronto not a playoff series yet.

Your point on Tampa is proving my point again. The wings dominate the league for years but teams still knocked them out. Same thing with Tampa. Theyve proven you can be an absolute star studded team that can lose to a team that still has skill obviously, but works harder or has a bit more luck in a 7 game series. Youre going to say the wings wont havea chance in 3-5 years against a team like Tampa, they they ust tied the record for wins in the regular seaosn and were knocked out by a wild card team.

And yes, I'm shitting on Ottawa. Every single hockey fan including sens fans should be shitting on them. They have the worst ownership in the league by far. Theyre a Canadian team with an internal salary cap that has proven they can have a high end roster but they dont have an owner that will pay to keep them together. They have a better d prospect, the wings have a 22 year old number one center that they dont have, Yzerman as GM, and the Illitches writing the players cheques. The wings are so much better off than the Sens its insane. They can match that list of prospects that you listed for Ottawa except have an owner/gm combo that will actually spend the money to keep them together and add free agent pieces to bolster the group.

The wings are in a much better spot than you think if youre going to sit here and pretend like Ottawa has a better situation

Reactions: jkutswings

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I agree, I can't see the logic to trading a top end defender for picks or prospects, as it doesn't fit where the Jets currently are.

It kinda does though. The Jets have some cap issues on the way. Turning Trouba into something that doesnt take up capspace but could be ready for the NHL in a year on an ELC could make sense for them. Whatever they trade for, they dont necessarily need to play Troubas role. They can give Morrisey and Byfuglien more ice. It depends on what happens with Myers too as well.

No, pretty sure Larkin was a Leaf fan growing up. His Dad is from Toronto and raised him a Leafs fan

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It kinda does though. The Jets have some cap issues on the way. Turning Trouba into something that doesnt take up capspace but could be ready for the NHL in a year on an ELC could make sense for them. Whatever they trade for, they dont necessarily need to play Troubas role. They can give Morrisey and Byfuglien more ice. It depends on what happens with Myers too as well.

No, pretty sure Larkin was a Leaf fan growing up. His Dad is from Toronto and raised him a Leafs fan
Article doesn't say that.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
His wife is from Florida and he has a condo there already. I would love to believe this is still a one horse race, I am just not sure it is. With the Panthers gearing up big time and having assets they are willing to part with, Trouba might never see free agency. That Winnipeg fell so woefully short probably doesn't help either as they really have to look at if they can stomach carrying him as their "rental" all year and losing him for nothing. Something I was hoping that really looks unlikely to come to pass.

Now I hope he does wind up here, but if he is traded this year our chances go down dramatically if the right team pulls that off. I am worried that Florida is ready to pay a price we simply cannot match without putting in a few of the names we would rather not, even there if they are offering up one of those right wingers plus we have a problem matching that in my opinion.
Kelly Tyson is his fiancee they're not married yet, And Kelly was born in Australia and grew up in Bloomfield Hill, Michigan and both Jacob and her attended the University of Michigan together and met there. Kelly isn't from here in Florida not sure why people keep saying that. She's more of a Michigan girl then Florida girl yes they own a Condo in Fort Lauderdale while she's attending school there. No guarantee's they remain here in the long haul.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The assumption being, the only teams considering trading for him at the draft will be those who are relatively assured that he's going to extend with term.

Right, and Detroit simply doesn't have the assets to make the kind of deal Winnipeg is going to want. The only shot Detroit has at getting Trouba is signing him as a UFA.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kelly Tyson is his fiancee they're not married yet, And Kelly was born in Australia and grew up in Bloomfield Hill, Michigan and both Jacob and her attended the University of Michigan together and met there. Kelly isn't from here in Florida not sure why people keep saying that. She's more of a Michigan girl then Florida girl yes they own a Condo in Fort Lauderdale while she's attending school there. No guarantee's they remain here in the long haul.

Yep.

And the reason for Trouba having an apartment at Florida is just smart tax planning.

If you are US citizen (like Jacob Trouba is), working temporarily at Canada (like Trouba is), and if you own an apartment at United States (like Trouba has) and are living at Canada at a rental apartment (like Trouba is, this rental apartment is the key for whole loophole), this kind of case in taxes will be treated with the US state laws. And Florida taxes are lot less than in Manitoba.

This is just a loophole what Trouba is using. His net earnings are higher because he technically lives at Florida. He plays at Canada with Florida tax rate.

I did read this case from Winnipeg side few months ago, when somebody seemed to know the facts.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Right, and Detroit simply doesn't have the assets to make the kind of deal Winnipeg is going to want. The only shot Detroit has at getting Trouba is signing him as a UFA.
DET has the pieces, but i don't know if they're expendable pieces.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
The Leafs are just starting off, yet theyre already in a cap crunch and havent won a playoff series with that team yet. Yes I do hope Matthews leaves, its not a guarantee that he does but capwise the Leafs are in trouble already. Chicago had a cup or two before they hit cap trouble, Toronto not a playoff series yet.

Your point on Tampa is proving my point again. The wings dominate the league for years but teams still knocked them out. Same thing with Tampa. Theyve proven you can be an absolute star studded team that can lose to a team that still has skill obviously, but works harder or has a bit more luck in a 7 game series. Youre going to say the wings wont havea chance in 3-5 years against a team like Tampa, they they ust tied the record for wins in the regular seaosn and were knocked out by a wild card team.

And yes, I'm ****ting on Ottawa. Every single hockey fan including sens fans should be ****ting on them. They have the worst ownership in the league by far. Theyre a Canadian team with an internal salary cap that has proven they can have a high end roster but they dont have an owner that will pay to keep them together. They have a better d prospect, the wings have a 22 year old number one center that they dont have, Yzerman as GM, and the Illitches writing the players cheques. The wings are so much better off than the Sens its insane. They can match that list of prospects that you listed for Ottawa except have an owner/gm combo that will actually spend the money to keep them together and add free agent pieces to bolster the group.

The wings are in a much better spot than you think if youre going to sit here and pretend like Ottawa has a better situation
And you actually think they’ll deal Matthews cause of a cap crunch? Instead of ya know nylander?marleau’s 6 mill leaving next year , giving a few assets to get rid of zaitsev? It’s all nice to to wish and hope things like that will happen but it’s not very likely

The redwings dominated for many years like Tampa before they won cups so it’s a little naive to just think they’d be an easy beat in 3 years ,time will tell but I truly believe they’ll be winning cups sooner rather than later

You can shit on melnyk all you want , he’s an asshole and stupid owner but doesn’t change the fact that they have crazy good young players coming up, 2 stud dmen which we don’t have a power forward in tkachuk we don’t have as well and some real good other kids So it’s naive to think we’d easily be beating them you want to keep being naive and brush away the sens go ahead

The east is only getting better and better , look at the devils now who will add hughes to go Along with hall and hischier , islanders have Dobson and wahlstrom and they’re already doing great now as is wont be easy for us to start making the playoffs annually let alone going for cups in 5 , love yzerman is back as well and I like your optimism but I’m not gonna expect these things so quickly

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

It really depends on the market to dictate what is enough though. Nothing to say that Florida decides that someone like Trocheck is too much to offer and then all of the sudden the Wings can offer what is "fair". Considering we are still months away from anything coming to fruition, I would just expect Yzerman to have his phone close to him and check in periodically until a deal is done or an extension is signed.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

There are pictures of him wearing leafs jerseys and some comments by him saying he was a fan. I didn't say he was a leafs fan at the exclusion of being a wings fan. It was just to counter point the whole 'he grew up in Detroit therefore is by default a Wings fan' argument.

Also there was some stuff on twitter about this, but looks like the account doesn't exist (though is still indexed on google).

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
Why would Winnipeg make a deal for a draft pick?

He signed a one-year deal last offseason and before that, a two-year deal. Explain to me why is he now all of a sudden going to sign long-term deal? He has arbitration rights. He'll get his one-year deal then walk. That's been his plan all along. I don't know why this needs more explaining.

Also, Winnipeg has to sign Laine, Connor and Copp. They're going to be in a cap crunch. You think Trouba is going to sign a friendly deal after all of this?
You understand that all of Trouba's previous contracts have taken him to RFA status right? They could have given him one-year deals every year after his ELC and it wouldn't matter because he's still under team control. They're not going to give a #1/#2 D a one year contract a year from UFA and let him walk for nothing.

I'm not saying that he is going to sign a long term deal or a short team friendly contract. But I'm saying a 1 year deal is the least likely option for the Jets. Same for any team trying to aquire him, why would anyone take the risk on his expiring contract. Anyone who trades for him should have a contract to go with it. It is most likely a June/July move.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why would Winnipeg make a deal for a draft pick?

Because draft pick is an temporary asset you can use for another asset in a tight salary cap situation.

I have to ask, why think too one-dimensional?

Think out of the box like YZERMAN, when he did sell St. Louis for picks and then used them to buy other assets. It's just value transferring. Now Trouba-trade-Chevaldayoff is the St. Louis-trade-Yzerman. Roles changed.

Winnipeg won't probably need picks, but they get value to be used on future move.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
You understand that all of Trouba's previous contracts have taken him to RFA status right? They could have given him one-year deals every year after his ELC and it wouldn't matter because he's still under team control. They're not going to give a #1/#2 D a one year contract a year from UFA and let him walk for nothing.

I'm not saying that he is going to sign a long term deal or a short team friendly contract. But I'm saying a 1 year deal is the least likely option for the Jets. Same for any team trying to aquire him, why would anyone take the risk on his expiring contract. Anyone who trades for him should have a contract to go with it. It is most likely a June/July move.
It is my understanding that Trouba can force arbitration and get a one year deal that will bring him to UFA status. Not really Winnipeg's choice. Arbitration will also result in a raise considering his season numbers.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
And you actually think they’ll deal Matthews cause of a cap crunch? Instead of ya know nylander?marleau’s 6 mill leaving next year , giving a few assets to get rid of zaitsev? It’s all nice to to wish and hope things like that will happen but it’s not very likely

The redwings dominated for many years like Tampa before they won cups so it’s a little naive to just think they’d be an easy beat in 3 years ,time will tell but I truly believe they’ll be winning cups sooner rather than later

You can **** on melnyk all you want , he’s an ******* and stupid owner but doesn’t change the fact that they have crazy good young players coming up, 2 stud dmen which we don’t have a power forward in tkachuk we don’t have as well and some real good other kids So it’s naive to think we’d easily be beating them you want to keep being naive and brush away the sens go ahead

The east is only getting better and better , look at the devils now who will add hughes to go Along with hall and hischier , islanders have Dobson and wahlstrom and they’re already doing great now as is wont be easy for us to start making the playoffs annually let alone going for cups in 5 , love yzerman is back as well and I like your optimism but I’m not gonna expect these things so quickly

The bigger problem with Toronto is that they've not got any flexibility to improve the team. They are a flawed roster and they do not have any cap room to add. To add the top flight D they desperately need, they'd have to deal Marner or Nylander. To improve the team, they would have to re-shuffle the deck a little bit.

Tampa is another team that will likely have to do something to fundamentally reshape their cap to continue adding. They know what they are doing... but at some point if you don't win, guys are going to stop taking slightly less money.

Ottawa has a couple good pieces. Chabot is fantastic and Tkachuk looks good. If you're counting Brannstrom as a stud D, why him and not Hronek? What has Brannstrom done at the NHL level?

Devils are garbage right now with Hall and Hischier. That's why they were in a position to take Hughes. And in a year, Hall will get a double digit millions contract, Hischier will be much higher off his ELC and if Hughes is anything like you're pushing him as to where NJ will blow everyone's doors off, he'll be making 12M+ in three years.

All of the things that are bugaboos for Detroit (contracts signed for too much and too long, guys getting hurt or underperforming, etc.) are things that will hit other rosters.

And in the case of Ottawa... there is no reason to believe that Melnyk changes his spots. They were a bubble team with Karlsson and Stone and Duchene and other good players like Hoffman... and Chabot for a year too. They're going to self-destruct themselves before they're good.

Reactions: jkutswings

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
It is my understanding that Trouba can force arbitration and get a one year deal that will bring him to UFA status. Not really Winnipeg's choice. Arbitration will also result in a raise considering his season numbers.
Yes you are correct. It could happen but I don't think Winnipeg will let it get there. Trouba getting a one year raise, with a cap crunch and bringing him to UFA is worst case for the Jets, hence why I think it won't get there.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
All of this Trouba case smells like Ryan Suter 2.0.

This time we are Minnesota (family destination and a clear 1st D spot on roster) and Byfuglien is "Shea Weber", who'll get all 1st PP ice-time all the time and the guy hurts to play on 2nd PP role with crap 2nd unit players.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
All of this Trouba case smells like Ryan Suter 2.0.

This time we are Minnesota (family destination and a clear 1st D spot on roster) and Byfuglien is "Shea Weber", who'll get all 1st PP ice-time all the time and the guy hurts to play on 2nd PP role with crap 2nd unit players.

This story will keep repeating until Detroit proves it can draft and develop top pairing defenders.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Yep.

And the reason for Trouba having an apartment at Florida is just smart tax planning.

If you are US citizen (like Jacob Trouba is), working temporarily at Canada (like Trouba is), and if you own an apartment at United States (like Trouba has) and are living at Canada at a rental apartment (like Trouba is, this rental apartment is the key for whole loophole), this kind of case in taxes will be treated with the US state laws. And Florida taxes are lot less than in Manitoba.

This is just a loophole what Trouba is using. His net earnings are higher because he technically lives at Florida. He plays at Canada with Florida tax rate.

I did read this case from Winnipeg side few months ago, when somebody seemed to know the facts.
Don't know, I live in Florida, and real estate taxes here are insane. So owning a condo on the beach hardly has any tax benefits. Plus, insurance here, if you are close to the water, is insanely expensive as well,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad