OT: Lets Go Birds! (All Baseball Talk Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veneficus

Sep 30, 2014
I like to think of a parallel universe where they kept Pham and traded for Yelich instead of Ozuna. Yelich Bader/Oneil Pham would be an all time outfield imo.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Ozuna just had one of the biggest fails I’ve ever seen on a baseball field.
That really might be the worst play I have ever seen a right fielder make. It was laughably terrible. It's good that the Cards shut out the Dodgers despite that, because if they lost due to that play there'd be some angry, angry Cardinals fans.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
That really might be the worst play I have ever seen a right fielder make. It was laughably terrible. It's good that the Cards shut out the Dodgers despite that, because if they lost due to that play there'd be some angry, angry Cardinals fans.
The only play I can think of that might be more embarrassing from an outfielder was when Canseco took that fly ball off the head and over the wall for a homer. At least this was only a double, but Ozuna’s ball was a much easier catch so it might be a toss up. I have no idea how Ozuna won a Gold Glove. I’ve only seen him make a handful of great plays and more than a handful of bad ones.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
atleast he is hitting right now. he can be a terrible LF if he hits 30hr 120rbi, cant be any worse than Holliday out there if he put up those numbers.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
cards really are the dodgers daddy

they dont even impose a remote threat to the club, ever.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
You would think our brilliant manager would give Yelich the Barry Bonds treatment by now.

I guess hitting 6 of his 7 hr vs us isnt worthy of that yet.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Flaherty could learn a lot from that Waino start. 6 innings, 1 run, 86 pitches. Not a ton of strikeouts, but mostly soft contact and pounding the zone. Eventually Flaherty has to learn to be efficient or he's just going to be a bullpen arm.

Ozuna is absolutely raking, by the way. 1.196 OPS in his last 15 games with 8 homers. Probably going to price himself out of St. Louis, but we should get to enjoy a really strong season this year.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Cards can afford to pay him if they wanted to but they love dumpster diving and nickel and diming.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
What an absolute bomb by Ozuna. This Cards offense looks more and more dangerous with every game. Goldy starting to pick it up. We are dangerous all the way down the order, and our outfield doesn't even have enough spots. A very good problem to have right now. I suspect we will be looking to trade for a starting pitcher at some point...

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
What an absolute bomb by Ozuna. This Cards offense looks more and more dangerous with every game. Goldy starting to pick it up. We are dangerous all the way down the order, and our outfield doesn't even have enough spots. A very good problem to have right now. I suspect we will be looking to trade for a starting pitcher at some point...
Yeah the starting rotation is pretty suspect. Dallas Keuchel is still out there, but he's clearly declining and probably wants a big pay day. He'd still be a reliable #3/4, but I think he wants to get paid like a front of the rotation arm, which probably isn't going to happen here. It would be nice to have a quality lefty in the rotation though(or in the bullpen at this point). Unlike Greg Holland last year, I actually have faith that Miller will turn it around and start getting guys out, but it's sure been a rough start and last year wasn't exactly great either. That's a little concerning.

We have all of this depth starting pitching, but none of it is strong enough to take a regular turn in the rotation at this point, and our top guy, Mikolas, hasn't pitched like a top guy in the early stages of the year(though his last outing was very good). What seemed like a strength is quickly turning into a question mark. We have lots of guys who pitch, but not many you can count on giving you a quality outing most nights. Not a good thing when the corpse of Adam Wainwright leads your starting rotation in ERA. We have to figure something out on the mound.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Yeah the starting rotation is pretty suspect. Dallas Keuchel is still out there, but he's clearly declining and probably wants a big pay day. He'd still be a reliable #3/4, but I think he wants to get paid like a front of the rotation arm, which probably isn't going to happen here. It would be nice to have a quality lefty in the rotation though(or in the bullpen at this point). Unlike Greg Holland last year, I actually have faith that Miller will turn it around and start getting guys out, but it's sure been a rough start and last year wasn't exactly great either. That's a little concerning.

We have all of this depth starting pitching, but none of it is strong enough to take a regular turn in the rotation at this point, and our top guy, Mikolas, hasn't pitched like a top guy in the early stages of the year(though his last outing was very good). What seemed like a strength is quickly turning into a question mark. We have lots of guys who pitch, but not many you can count on giving you a quality outing most nights. Not a good thing when the corpse of Adam Wainwright leads your starting rotation in ERA. We have to figure something out on the mound.

I wonder if Mad Bum will be up for sale at some point...

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I wonder if Mad Bum will be up for sale at some point...
That's a dicey one for me. All depends on the cost obviously. I wouldn't give up Gorman, Reyes, or Knizner for him. Feels too similar to the Mark Mulder situation. He's only 29, but he's got a lot of innings on that arm and he's been dealing with some injuries the past couple of years. Just scares me, though I'd still definitely take the gamble provided the cost was moderate.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Nolan Gorman update. Leads the league in HR, OPS, and slugging. 2nd in total bases, and RBI while being about 2 years younger than the average player in the league. The only guys in the league even approaching Gorman's numbers are 21 and 22 years old while Gorman is still just 18. We might have a f***ing prodigy on our hands here. He's striking out ever 3.5 ABs, which is a bit much, but he's still hitting over .310, OBP at .385 so he's still getting on base at a pretty good clip despite striking out a fair bit. I have no idea if his defense at 3B is any good, but he can certainly hit.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
That's a dicey one for me. All depends on the cost obviously. I wouldn't give up Gorman, Reyes, or Knizner for him. Feels too similar to the Mark Mulder situation. He's only 29, but he's got a lot of innings on that arm and he's been dealing with some injuries the past couple of years. Just scares me, though I'd still definitely take the gamble provided the cost was moderate.
id trade reyes in a heartbeat. guy is never gonna materialize in MLB and after he broke a finger/hand doing something as stupid as how he broke it, he can get lost.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Can the Cardinals make a second half push like the Blues?
They still need a top of the line starter. And they need Goldschmidt to stay on this roll and either Carpenter to figure it out or Edman/Munoz to step up. They can push for the first wild card, but I think the Cubs are still the best team in the division.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
They need starters that can go more than 3 innings. Otherwise this awesome bullpen is going to be tired and crap by the stretch run to get into the playoffs.

If I'm the Cardinals at the deadline, I go out and get a starter that you know will give you 6 innings every outing. Even if they're not a Mad Bum type star pitcher. Just someone that can keep you in the game and eat up innings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->