OT: Lets Go Birds! (All Baseball Talk Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Pitcher Wins/Losses is so stupid. Oviedo throws 7 scoreless, gets nothing. Worse, Alcantra throws 8 and a third allowing one run and gets the loss. Stop this garbage.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
He thinks its the Jim Edmunds on Baseball hour. EVERY TIME he feels like he has to explain something, it takes FOREVER. He doesn't let Dan call the game action; bleeds his diatribes all over the play on the field.
I can't stand how often he complains about the shift if a weak grounder gets through the opposite field, but says absolutely nothing when a guy hits a missile right at a fielder who would not normally be standing there if not for the shift. Like, we get it, you don't like the shift, you don't understand/care about the analytics behind it, but just shut the hell up already. Brad Thompson is the absolute best. Ankiel is fine, and I like that he can truly give an opinion on what a pitcher and a hitter is doing in any given situation, which is very unique, but he's a little bland. They're all better than Tim McCarver though, so there's that.

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I can't stand how often he complains about the shift if a weak grounder gets through the opposite field, but says absolutely nothing when a guy hits a missile right at a fielder who would not normally be standing there if not for the shift. Like, we get it, you don't like the shift, you don't understand/care about the analytics behind it, but just shut the hell up already. Brad Thompson is the absolute best. Ankiel is fine, and I like that he can truly give an opinion on what a pitcher and a hitter is doing in any given situation, which is very unique, but he's a little bland. They're all better than Tim McCarver though, so there's that.

Yeah, Brad and Dan have some great chemistry. Ankiel seems like he's a bit shy, but is OK. One you didn't mention is Ricky Horton, I think he does OK, too.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Everything has gone wrong. There is some room for optimism for next year with guys returning from injuries and young players getting another year of experience, but this year is done. I just hope Arenado doesn't bolt. That would be devastating.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Everything has gone wrong. There is some room for optimism for next year with guys returning from injuries and young players getting another year of experience, but this year is done. I just hope Arenado doesn't bolt. That would be devastating.

That's why I'd rebuild (I think Arenado's bolting for the Dodgers the first chance he gets.) and trade Arenado if things don't improve by the deadline.

I'm sorry, but there's no way we perennially compete for a title the way we are now. We don't have enough good depth (Our starting pitching, bullpen, shortstop, and outfield has been awful and exposed against almost every team lately, even bottom-feeders like Detroit and Pittsburgh.), and the only young talent we really have (for position players, at least; I still say Flaherty and Reyes are keepers.) at the moment are O'Neill and Carlson - and Carlson needs to be more consistent. Our most consistent good players are all older (Wainwright, Molina, Goldschmidt, Arenado).

We're not going to compete, and I'm still not sure if we finish over .500. We'll get a high draft pick next year, and we have to get that right (although I fully trust our scouting department a hell of a lot more than anyone else in the organization; Walker, Winn, Gorman, and Herrera prove that.) I'm eager to see the draft this year; there's a lot of good pitchers and a fair few good hitters available. We'll have to get rid of dead-weight: constantly injured and/or underperforming players relative to their contracts (i.e., DeJong, Bader, Carpenter, Mikolas, Miller, and especially Martinez). But most importantly, we need to get the manager and the staff right this time; we haven't had a grenunely good manager since TLR. I'd also look to find a new hitting coach and pitching coach, as I feel that Albert and Maddux failed miserably in their chances.

I feel that the Blues need to do the same, but that's for another thread.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
its because their starting pitching is dog shit and the lineup is reliant on the HR.

plus our manager is a total clown

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
All I've been thinking about for the last month is why in the world did we not keep Wong? Our depth has been so brutal - he slots in at 2nd and we let Edman play the super sub role (3B/SS/OF).....all of a sudden our lineup looks so much better every day.

So dumb we didn't keep him for this season at least.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Lester killing it so far…
giphy.webp

Mordo

May 9, 2019
Just two or three weeks ago, the Cardinals were among the top teams in the League.

Now? wow
Two or three weeks ago the Cardinals were among the top teams in MLB? Which season are we talking about? Maybe 2-3 months ago when they went 15-5, but certainly not for many, many weeks.

Mordo

May 9, 2019
its because their starting pitching is dog shit and the lineup is reliant on the HR.

plus our manager is a total clown
No disagreement with the "manager is a clown" comment. Schildt is embarassing and needs to go asap. Re the starting pitching being dog shit, well yeah, when you have Flaherty, Hudson, and Mikolas out for most/all of 2021, Kim out for a while, and Martinez in freefall, yeah, it's gonna be pretty ugly. Waino is our "stud" right now and, no disrespect to him - he's done everything he can - that's a sad situation. How many teams that lose 60-80% of their starting rotation are gonna be competitive?

Despite that we're a .500 club. The problem is the OFFENSE! The pitching has actually outperformed considering the run support they get.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Two or three weeks ago the Cardinals were among the top teams in MLB? Which season are we talking about? Maybe 2-3 months ago when they went 15-5, but certainly not for many, many weeks.
Dude, that post is over a month old.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I've been watching some baseball videos lately and have been wanting to get into baseball so I bought the baseball package. I was thinking it was only natural to pick the cardinals as my favourite team as I'm already a blues fan and I love that you can see the arch from the diamond. Tonight is the first game I'm gonna watch live so I'm curious about the team? Who should I look for? Who's great, who sucks, who are the impact prospects coming up? I see they're .500 so I'm assuming a run isn't expected this year, but what is the general state of the team?

I appreciate any input.

Reactions: The Electrician

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I've been watching some baseball videos lately and have been wanting to get into baseball so I bought the baseball package. I was thinking it was only natural to pick the cardinals as my favourite team as I'm already a blues fan and I love that you can see the arch from the diamond. Tonight is the first game I'm gonna watch live so I'm curious about the team? Who should I look for? Who's great, who sucks, who are the impact prospects coming up? I see they're .500 so I'm assuming a run isn't expected this year, but what is the general state of the team?

I appreciate any input.
State of the team: no direction, in a state of flux
Who to look for: O’Neill, power hitter and gold glove candidate in the outfield, plus Alex Reyes, closer who should start next season - former top 5 prospect in all of baseball before multiple years of injuries.
Who’s great? Nobody really - no superstar, other than Arenado at third.
Who sucks? Again, nobody really - many players are simply average
Impact prospects: Nolan Gorman, ETA 1-2 years; Jordan Walker, ETA 2-4 years. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->