Let's face it, no matter what anyone says, great team play triumphs elite goaltending

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
While there are some exceptions and yes goalies can definitely steal games and possibly series, let's be honest long term sample size a team that has excellent metrics and elite skillset triumphs goalies that put on legendary performances. While all of the cup winners have had at the very least good goaltending, the last time we truly saw an elite goaltending performance cup winner was Tim Thomas (ANd even then before the Canucks series, the Bruins as a whole generally outplayed the opposition). Heck the Hawks won the 2010 finals with awful goaltending from Niemi. Even take a look at the Flames this season. When Smith was awful, yet the Flames thoroughly outplayed their opposition, they were winning back and forth. Now Smith is actually playing great yet because the Flames are being outplayed thoroughly they are down 3-1 in the series. This belief that a team needs an elite goalie to win a cup needs to die.

I disagree. I think the last goalie to steal a series and a Stanley Cup was Jonathan Quick in 2012. He dominated the series.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
I watched all games of the Flames Avalanche battle. Only reason the broom was kept in the closet is because of Mike Smith. The Avalanche haven’t been exactly a prime example as extraordinary team play on the offensive side of the game. Mack has pretty much McDavid his way to some wins. Extraordinary player.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Most importantly you need to put in the hard work and outwork your opponent!!! Gotta hit them harder, skate faster, win those puck races, battle harder in the corners, dman have to clear the crease and rebounds harder!!! Islanders and Blue Jackets have outworked their opponents big time a team with lesser talent but more heart and work ethic!!!

whcanuck

May 11, 2017
I remember the '97 and '98 Red Wings didn't have superstar goaltending, but they had very good goaltending. Mike Vernon was excellent in '97 (won the Conn Smythe) and Chris Osgood gave them solid goaltending in '98 too. Ducks in '07 didn't have amazing goaltending and none of the Blackhawks teams did, but those teams got very good goaltending. You definitely can't win with average goaltending (unless you have a totally unstoppable offense). All those teams I listed did play very well as a unit though, so I agree with the OP.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
If your goalie sucks bad you will not win, if your elite goalie gets a shutout how does the other teams great play hold up?

Goaltenders have a thankless job and are the most important player on the ice.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Goalies are a part of the team . Anyways a hot goalie with a hot offence can win if the defense sucks . A hot goalie by itself is just the Hasek years in buffalo were they couldn’t win but got pretty far for relying on a goalie that obv can’t score

Obv if the rest of the great goalies team sucks they will never win cuz they can’t score but a goalie can def tip a series by himself either by being amazing or garbage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad