Lets do some math.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
as long as 5 of them don't all get hot, we should be okay. Unless we collapse, but I just don't see this team collapsing.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Doing this again, except this time instead of 55, I will make the magic number 50 (highest point total a non-playoff team could get playing .500 hockey)

Pit .125
Mtl .278
Wpg 1.00
Bos .368
Ott .625
Tor .882
NJ .941
Car 1.00

NYR 1.00
Was 1.24
NYI 1.24
Buf 1.29
Phi 1.28
TB 1.35
Fla 1.53

So if NYR finishes with PPG hockey, then we need to get .625 of available points (20) to tie them. I believe the worst record that beats that (21 pts) is 6-0-9.
Do you mean
So if NYR finishes with PPG hockey, then we need to get .625 of available points (20) to tie them.
or
So if NYR finishes with PPG hockey, then we need to get .625 points per game played the rest of the season.

BIG difference.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
it's basically 12-14 more points to clinch, in 16 games. Very doable, but we need to be strong at home this week before taking off to the road.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What isn`t mentioned is how strong the NorthEast division is in comparison to the SE & Atlantic divisions. Only Buffalo from the NE division is out of a playoff position & only by two pts. The SE & Atl both have three teams out of a playoff position. If Ottawa was in the SE division they would have a 6 pt cushion on the 1st place Jets.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
It's exciting how likely a 1st round Habs, 2nd round Leafs matchup progression is. That would bring pandemonium.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
Interesting that we have a 1% chance of finishing 2nd, but a less than 1% chance of finishing 1st or 3rd.

1st will be the Penguins, and 3rd will be the winner of the south east.

That site actually attempts to take into account the quality of the opposition in the remaining games to make it's estimations.

We have had the 3rd hardest schedule so far based on win %age of opposition. All the teams in NE have a tough schedule, because they're all doing so well (except Buffalo).

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/easternsosag.html

Out of the remaining games we're facing teams with an average 49% win percentage, compared to the Habs with the hardest schedule remaining at 53%.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Its crazy how close things are. I know that with the OTL points now its harder for teams to climb, but looking at the East there's really only one team (FLA) that is really out of it. All the rest are longshots but if they went on a few game winning streak they could climb back in.

Also we are 8 pts out of 9th, but also only 10 out of first with a game in hand.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
one thing i've learned over the years is you should never get into the game of trying to wish for 1st round playoff opponents. i think one matchup we need to avoid is boston for sure, pittburgh would also be a team i hope we don't get, but other than that, it really doesnt matter who we play and any time we spend hoping for this matchup or that one is wasted. its a crapshoot. the team playing the best down the stretch and in the playoffs wins. doesnt matter where they were going in.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I'm not a huge fan of this website. It doesn't take into account that the odds change when teams are fighting for their lives, so the predictions get really bad near the end of a season.

Just use the 50/50 method, it gives teams a 50% chance of winning any game. You can't account for intangibles and such, but with two teams on the ice one will win and one will lose. I'd go with 53-55 points for the playoffs. We're as close to a lock as can be. Said it a month ago, saying it now. Only thing that can stop us would be an implosion on the road trip.

ffayyca

Nov 6, 2010
one thing i've learned over the years is you should never get into the game of trying to wish for 1st round playoff opponents. i think one matchup we need to avoid is boston for sure, pittburgh would also be a team i hope we don't get, but other than that, it really doesnt matter who we play and any time we spend hoping for this matchup or that one is wasted. its a crapshoot. the team playing the best down the stretch and in the playoffs wins. doesnt matter where they were going in.

I think last year we lost somewhat on purpose to avoid boston, which was smart. This year I don't like our chances against the habs. The last two games we have been dominated plus in montreal, we would spend half the game on pks.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think last year we lost somewhat on purpose to avoid boston, which was smart. This year I don't like our chances against the habs. The last two games we have been dominated plus in montreal, we would spend half the game on pks.

Yeah, no we didn't.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
i think if we get a clear 2 pts from the rags on thursday night, i think we're pretty much a lock for the playoffs.

sensrmyheart*

How many points..

Do we need to clinch? Or better yet clinch the 5th seed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad