Lets do some math.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
55 points must guarantee place in PO.

So Ottawa need to make 12-10-1 record in remaining 23 games.

Lets look at standings:

9. Jets 15-9
10. NYI 15-8
11. PHI 15-5-2
12. Caps 17-8
13. Tampa 17-6
14. Sabres 17-6
15. Panthers 17-5-1

So Panthers, Sabres, Tampa and Philly are 99% out. If Caps loose today agains Rangers, i think they out too.
Its only Jets and Islanders remaining in the run for PO spot. They play today too on the road agains Devils and Pitts.
I think we can make PO with less than 55 points. Something like 52. 11-12 record. What you think ?

P.S Lets GO Rangers, Pitts and Devils !!!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I have been looking at 56 points as the unofficial clinch number since the start of the season.

If you go back through the seasons since the previous lockout, a .560 point percentage is what was required for the large majority, regardless of conference.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
There's always one team that bum rushes the conference late in the season.

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just bookmark this ****:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Northeast/Ottawa.html

No math required. It's the weekend man.

Very interesting site. Takes a few minutes to wrap your head around what you are looking at but quite neat.

According to them, today, the Sens:

- have an 88.8% of making the playoffs
- need to go 13-8-2 for a 100% chance of making it
- need to go 10-10-3 for a 77.1% chance
- Looks likely to play either Montreal or Caroline in the first round

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
There's also usually a team that craps the bed near the end of the season, too (New Jersey).

Just curious why you threw NJ in there.

Are they your prediction to fall off? Because they've actually been very good at the end of the season in the past few years, and wouldn't be an example of what you described.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Are they your prediction to fall off? Because they've actually been very good at the end of the season in the past few years, and wouldn't be an example of what you described.

I haven't been keeping with other teams as much this year

Last I heard they were doing poorly since Brodeur was injured

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
I think 54 points probably be enough, that's 92 points in a full season. Maybe a little higher I suppose with more 3 point in conference games.

10-8-5 may be enough to get us in.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I've been using sports club stats for years. It's not perfect but I find that by the trade deadline they normally get seven or all eight teams right.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
Still looking at the standings. I'm sure it's been mentioned but it's been bugging me all year. Anybody know why Boston is always 3-games back from everybody in terms of Games Played? They have the circus in town or something?

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Still looking at the standings. I'm sure it's been mentioned but it's been bugging me all year. Anybody know why Boston is always 3-games back from everybody in terms of Games Played? They have the circus in town or something?

Lots of events and other teams playing at the garden a scheduling issue. They also lost a game because of a snowstorm. Their schedule sucks for the rest of the season.

I've been saying this for awhile OP. The sens have put themselves in a great position to enter the post season. Barring a 10 game losing steak they will be in the playoffs.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I've always loved sports club stats near the end of the season to see how likely you are playing different teams.

The big thing is that the Toronto Maple Leafs have a 92.6% chance of making the playoffs. They really need to blow it to miss out. I'm actually excited about that.

The Chicago Blackhawks have a >70% chance of making the playoffs EVEN if they go 4-17-1. That's pretty amazing.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Yeah sorry I should have been more clear. I think they rode a hot start to the season but are actually a pretty poor team and losing Brodeur is going to make it that much tougher. I think if any team falls out of the playoffs that is in right now it will be them.

What would really be awesome is if somehow Ottawa and Toronto could end 4 and 5. Obviously not really realistic with how Montreal and Boston are playing, but meh.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I never understood how the Devils did so well last year.

You could call this a bold prediction, but I honestly think that they will be a bottom feeder in the NHL for years to come. And yes, I know they have Lou.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I never understood how the Devils did so well last year.

You could call this a bold prediction, but I honestly think that they will be a bottom feeder in the NHL for years to come. And yes, I know they have Lou.

they were a bit of an enigma. Really overperformed their base metrics. A team with the special teams and goal differentials that they had last year would not be expected to make the playoffs.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah sorry I should have been more clear. I think they rode a hot start to the season but are actually a pretty poor team and losing Brodeur is going to make it that much tougher. I think if any team falls out of the playoffs that is in right now it will be them.

What would really be awesome is if somehow Ottawa and Toronto could end 4 and 5. Obviously not really realistic with how Montreal and Boston are playing, but meh.

NP. Figured that was the case since I remember them rolling into the playoffs a couple of times. Should be interesting if the Rangers can figure themselves out, and if Philly can get any type of defensive play going.

I find it hard to believe the Leafs got their 1st Leaf-point of the year in their last game.:amazed:

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I've always loved sports club stats near the end of the season to see how likely you are playing different teams.

The big thing is that the Toronto Maple Leafs have a 92.6% chance of making the playoffs. They really need to blow it to miss out. I'm actually excited about that.

The Chicago Blackhawks have a >70% chance of making the playoffs EVEN if they go 4-17-1. That's pretty amazing.

I hear that. I'd love to see us draw Toronto in round one (As long as we win).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad